Memorial Day camping is usually a bust in Montana

We tend to avoid even the thought of outdoor activities in April through Memorial Day, unless we plan for snow or rain. It's definitely been a colder and wetter spring this year. Ollie is still tucked away under a warm blanket. High country visits to the western Montana mountains...forget about it until after the 4th of July.

https://www.kpax.com/news/montana-news/dozens-of-camping-trailers-abandoned-following-montana-spring-snowstorm

• Like 3
  • Wow 4

AZARCACODEGAIDILINIAKSKYMEMDMAMIMNMOMTNE

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MontanaOliver said:

High country visits to the western Montana mountains...forget about it until after the 4th of July.

And people ask me why I always wait until after July 4th to head West for fly fishing.

Bill

• Haha 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

We were in Great Basin NP and the Ely/ Elko areas while all that was going on This pic shows why an occasional Internet connection is so invaluable. 

D056AC0E-4BC5-42FB-A859-BEBBC71E68BA.thumb.jpeg.7ae69bbbe1fec0416d1e1a0927145871.jpeg

We were starting back to Spokane, which is more or less due north from there. Hmmmm….  Do we drive to Boise then west, or cut west and go north through Oregon? What an easy answer! We did ride out the worst of the wind and rain for two nights in Elko at the very lovely and affordable Iron Horse RV Resort, $45 per night full hookups. When we left Monday morning heading WEST, there was fresh snow on all the taller mountains. I am sure the high points in Great Basin got hammered. Spring camping in the West has its challenges. But the air is so very clean this time of year.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

This pic shows why an occasional Internet connection is so invaluable. 

My Garmin InReach Mini satellite communications device also can get weather without an internet connection.  Just another reason to have more than one way to get important information.

Bill

• Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"