Blue Ridge Parkway & Mount Pisgah CG

dewdev

I am thinking of traveling the entire length of the Blue Ridge Parkway sometime soon with my Ollie in tow, maybe this fall.

I am wondering if people that have done this route find it ok while towing a Elite II?

How is the condition of the roads?

I see on another post about the Mount Pisgah Campground. Does that campground get booked up early in the year? 

Is there other campgrounds along the route?

Thanks

• Like 1

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• The title was changed to Blue Ridge Parkway & Mount Pisgah CG

We camp mostly in NC on the BRP, and the LE2 tows easily. Pavement conditions are OK. Speed limits are mostly 35 or 45 MPH and most Federal BRP campgrounds in NC have certain sites set aside as walk up that cannot be reserved. That being said, I would still make reservations during fall when there are many folks traveling the area to see the fall colors that peak at different times depending on elevation. The Federal campgrounds in NC do not have electricity or water at the campsites. Since we don't have factory solar, we have a portable suitcase solar panel that's handy to reach out from shady sites. We also enjoy hiking to water falls not too far from the BRP. Using the Federal geezer card gives 50% off of camping fees.

Here's some NC Federal BRP campgrounds:

Doughton Park, Julian Price, Linville Falls, Mt. Pisgah, and Balsam Mountain Campground is over 5300' elevation, but also a nice drive from the BRP in the Smoky Mountain National Park.

Reservations can be made on Recreation.gov

https://www.recreation.gov/

If there is construction, it's posted on their website with detour information.

https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

Roaring Fork Falls is not far from the BRP:

IMG_1958-L.jpg

Sunset on the BRP:

i-m299GDQ-L.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 1

2015 LE2

We’ve done the entire BRP motorcycle camping. Some days we traveled for hours, others found us hiking on the easily accessed trails, where we would barely cover 10 miles. All told, we took about 10 days to make the trip, and totally fall in love with the Parkway and surrounding areas.3490B4F1-8129-47DC-B0BC-489F0DEBC035.thumb.jpeg.bb4627f80e4560fee06c50e1d993440d.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2022 Elite II Twin “Katie” Hull 997

2010 Toyota Sequoia 

• Moderators

A couple of comments regarding the BRP - 

1 - The road surface is fine and should cause no problem in towing an Oliver.  However, when problems do arise it is normally due to everyone wanting to see the view - the driver included!  There are plentiful parking areas and "turnouts" that can be used and should be used for this purpose.

2 - Many people that drive the BRP are not used to driving on mountain roads that curve and twist and go up and down.  Add this to towing and the result is slower traffic.  People get impatient and drive inappropriately.  Drivers of slow moving vehicles should be aware of the traffic around them and use the "turnouts" mentioned above to let faster vehicles move on down the road.

3 - Fog is not uncommon along the BRP.  Drivers should use common sense before attempting to drive these mountain roads in fog or heavy rain.

4 - There are numerous campgrounds all along the BRP route.   Certainly do not be afraid to get off the BRP and take time to enjoy the forest, towns and attractions that these may provide.  One such campground is the Davidson River Campground.  Plenty of hiking, fishing, biking, and waterfall looking to do plus its an easy drive to the Sierra Nevada Brewery and/or the Oscar Blues Brewery if that is your thing.

5 - Don't overlook some "feeder" roads to the BRP such as highway 215 and 276.  Note - unless you are really used to mountain roads I would not recommend taking 215 with the Ollie in tow.  Even 276 from Waynesville to or from the BRP can be interesting.

Once you have a good idea of the time you have and what you might want to see - post it here.  There are a number of Oliver owners that live near and/or have experience with the BRP that could give you a plethora of information.

Bill

• Like 6

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

3 hours ago, Jstone said:

We’ve done the entire BRP motorcycle camping. Some days we traveled for hours, others found us hiking on the easily assessed trails, where we would barely cover 10 miles. All told, we took about 10 days to make the trip, and totally fall in love with the Parkway and surrounding areas.

We love to ride our motorcycle two-up on the BRP for day trips!

IMG_0213-L.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2015 LE2

1 hour ago, dewdev said:

I am thinking of traveling the entire length of the Blue Ridge Parkway sometime soon with my Ollie in tow, maybe this fall.

I am wondering if people that have done this route find it ok while towing a Elite II?

How is the condition of the roads?

I see on another post about the Mount Pisgah Campground. Does that campground get booked up early in the year? 

Is there other campgrounds along the route?

Thanks

We have stayed at Bear Den CG and also Mountain River Family CG in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Both privately owned in cooler elevations, clean bath houses, and very well run and secure. Both have full hook ups. Mountain River Family CG is bordered by the Toe River which also has great trout fishing. We simply prefer the privately owned CG’s over Federal Parks. The cost is a little more but you get what you pay for at least at these two I listed. Not at all campground snobs here, we just prefer privately owned CGs for all the amenities that go along with it.  
It really depends on how long you want to stay, your budget, and what type of camping you plan on doing. We try and book at least 4-5 day stays at most CGs locally.
Happy Camping!

https://www.beardenmountainresort.com

https://www.mtnriverwnc.com

Mountain River Family CG - Toe River

E6BD81BE-D5A2-4C0C-8F13-1A1C95DC39F5.thumb.jpeg.3169c271b9c4fa5a5b13cf633cf05b07.jpegFA19B3AB-B361-4416-9BBE-FA65ED14E12A.thumb.jpeg.ec8601ac395ee12e2f1406acebee30a3.jpeg

7A1AFC41-A906-4133-A0EE-A7D49BF73335.thumb.jpeg.cb92f12c0861922e2e5b122cac606723.jpeg

• Like 5

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg