Suitable for 7 months in Alaska?

I have spent 14 Summers flying Beavers and Turbine Otters on floats in Alaska. Now I would like to see the rest of the state. Has anyone one the forum taken an Elite II to AlasKa for the entire Summer and gone as far as Prudhoe Bay? If so, how did the trailer survive, did you add a lift kit, and did you change the tires that came on the trailer?

Thanks

• Like 1

Are you going to be by yourself? and what tow vehicle?  If solo, I suggest the smaller Elite since it is easier and cheaper to lift, much MUCH easier and cheaper  to add disk brakes to (there are no bolt on, plug and play kits for the LE2, you have to install heavier axles), has stouter axle and bearings, and is significantly more maneuverable. The 4.5 feet shorter length will fit into lots more primitive campsites. The wheels are strong. The tires that come are adequate high mileage LT Load E Cooper somethings.  Earlier trailers had Michelin LTX. Neither will be a problem with typical groomed gravel roads, but a more robust tread has better sidewall cut resistance for sharp ballast roads like the drive to Kennecott. I would install a set of slightly larger 30” outside diameter robust off road tires, including the spare, and then not worry about it again. A bigger tire will not fit under that spare cover, but you can remove that entirely if you like. You would have to relocate the license plate bracket and light.

The suspension is OK on either, but both definitely could be improved. The LE2 suspension flexes nicely but has around an inch of up travel before the axle ubolts hit the frame. BANG. 😳

I haven’t made it to AK yet, but have been through western BC and YT as far as White Horse, and driven the Stewart/ Cassiar in the rain. These trailers need significant rock protection unless you just don’t care about gelcoat damage and blasted frame and axles. There are a lot of threads on this subject. If I were flying solo, I definitely would prefer the LE over the LE2! It would be a great match for my Land Cruiser 200, which is a little overwhelmed by the bigger trailer, and I could eliminate that pesky PITA Andersen hitch.

BTW, I used to occasionally do engine work on Turbo Beavers and Twin Otters in Seattle. I really hated working on float planes! Especially outside. Cool aircraft tho. I used to live near Lake Union and enjoyed watching them take off through the horde of sailboats and paddlers. Balls of steel! 😬

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 8

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Forgot… the smaller trailer will save you approximately 250 pounds for payload, the TW is “about” 200 less, and the Andersen is a little over 50. Plus you could install an off-road coupler, a ball hitch is very limited for uneven terrain.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

10 hours ago, Beaver Pilot said:

I have spent 14 Summers flying Beavers and Turbine Otters on floats in Alaska. Now I would like to see the rest of the state. Has anyone one the forum taken an Elite II to AlasKa for the entire Summer and gone as far as Prudhoe Bay? If so, how did the trailer survive, did you add a lift kit, and did you change the tires that came on the trailer?

Thanks

Can’t really help answer your question, but we will be pulling our Elite II to Alaska this summer (with a 2011 supercharged Tundra). We may go as far north as Coldfoot, but will likely leave the Ollie in Fairbanks and just take the truck. Don’t want to chance it with the Ollie on the Dalton Highway. 

Thread drift - did you by chance fly the Otters and Beavers out of the Gastineau Channel in Juneau? If so, we might have ridden with you over to the Taku Glacier Lodge. Our son flew C-207’s and 208’s out of JNU for Wings of Alaska one summer. I rode with him for a day and VFR in Alaska was eye opening to me. 

• Like 3

• Moderators

The Dalton highway to Prudhoe is one highway I would avoid with any trailer. Even my sturdy elite. Unless it were an exceptionally dry year.

We've driven it as far as the arctic circle entry campground.  And, the road really, really stunk. Seriously bad.

Much of it "used to be" paved, but  now crews go out, chew up the damaged asphalt, and throw it back down. In rainy weather (as we encountered, even though we had a good forecast) it was absolutely miserable. Some people got stuck, though we didn't,  thank goodness.

We could barely see for many  miles, as mud threw up against the windshield, and no wiper fluid left. Motorcyclists got dumped in the wet mud, and looked like creatures of the black lagoon.  The carwash to get our camper clean, in fairbanks, was lengthy, and expensive.

I'd drive it again, in a 4wd vehicle, all the way to Prudhoe. But nix a trailer. Leave the trailer in Fairbanks, book accommodations (sparse and spartan) and see something most people have never seen. Its incredibly beautiful in the Tundra. And, weirdly beautiful.  We saw a number of moose along and on the road, and other critters to dodge. 

We were in a 2wd smaller motorhome. 

We thought about camping at the arctic circle cg, but the mosquitoes were very, very thick, even early season. We talked, and turned around there, and went back to Fox. 

I'd do it again, but in a 4wd truck, no trailer. Definitely not another motorhome. And not towing,  either.

Return trip, we were talking to the construction guys manning the signs at the treacherous hill up and down. Still raining.  A big rig carrying heavy equipment came up behind us. I suggested to my husband that he move over and let him pass. We did. The big rig dug in deep, squished the trail, and we followed him back (1/2 mile behind) to the highway toward fairbanks.  It was great, not being the trailblazer.  Trip back to Fox, behind the heavy rig, was a little more than half the time of the trip out, following his or her tracks. It was great.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2
  • Wow 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I realize that sounds harsh, but it was, for us. 

Over our many trips, we've driven most of the Alaska named highways,,and we'd do most of them with our 4x4 truck, and our elite. 

Unless you're really tall, the elite is lighter, narrower, and easier to maneuver. 

We've not taken our elite to Alaska,  as we routinely deliver motorhomes. We fly home. 

That begs another question.  

Its often still snowing or snowbound, along the route in early may. Snow can start in September.  Getting 5 months would require patience, and alternate travel plans. 7 would be tough to do. 

My cousin lives summers in Cantwell, in a  dry cabin she built when she was in her twenties. She grew up there 

It's spectacular.  But, I'd plan on getting out by mid September,  latest. Unless you ferry to the "tropics " of Juneau, an ferry out, as we have done. Still, the Yukon and bc can be uncooperative on the way home. And, you'll have a hard time finding open campgrounds in bc or the Yukon.

We've camped in closed  campgrounds in the Yukon many times. Not a huge deal, if you're self contained, and self sufficient.  The only services in most are free firewood and pit toilets, anyway.  Keep toilet paper in your pocket.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2022 at 5:29 AM, Beaver Pilot said:

Thanks

Just met another Ollie owner that took their Elite II to Prudhoe Bay. They said the road was a muddy mess, but the trailer did fine. 

• Like 3

On 7/19/2022 at 11:23 PM, katanapilot said:

Just met another Ollie owner that took their Elite II to Prudhoe Bay. They said the road was a muddy mess, but the trailer did fine. 

That the best answer I've seen not to pull my Oliver to Alaska, muddy mess, plus mosquitoes.  trainman

• Like 2

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

4 hours ago, Trainman said:

That the best answer I've seen not to pull my Oliver to Alaska, muddy mess, plus mosquitoes.  trainman

The cost to clean the Ollie of a muddy mess - $10.

The experience and scenery of driving the Alcan and the Dalton -  priceless.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Today, getting to Alaska is a snap as the roads are pretty good.  I have made the trip eight times from the West Coast and, while it was a bit of a challenge many years back when most of the route was gravel, today the entire route is paved with the exception of short sections on the Cassiar and even that is not a problem if your tow vehicle is up to the task.  On the last trip I did not even lose a windshield, which was a first for me!

By all means take your Oliver to Alaska.  Think ahead, make sure you are prepared and then enjoy yourself ... the trip is spectacular.

• Like 4

• Moderators

You'll deal with frost heaves. You'll deal with construction. Construction zones, with gravel thrown up, are the major hazard for windshield damage, unless you decide to travel the gravel roads like Denali. 

We've made the trip many times. Great memories.  Imo, go early. Late May. Get out early. 

I totally agree with @Jim and Chris Neuman, just do it, if you can. So much to see!

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
7 hours ago, katanapilot said:

The cost to clean the Ollie of a muddy mess - $10.

The experience and scenery of driving the Alcan and the Dalton -  priceless.

The cost to clean our rig, going only to the arctic circle and back, was more like 30 bucks. Still, priceless .

The mosquitoes were awful. As was the drive.  No kidding.

• Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderator+
On 7/24/2022 at 7:49 PM, SeaDawg said:

The cost to clean our rig, going only to the arctic circle and back, was more like 30 bucks. Still, priceless .

The mosquitoes were awful. As was the drive.  No kidding.

In our 2019 foray to Alaska, we found a campground that had a wash bay that you could use for free.

In Mississippi the mosquitoes will eat me alive every evening. During our four month trip to Alaska, I didn't get bitten a single time. They were everywhere and lit on me often but apparently out of respect or perhaps fear of catching something from me they just moved on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

Free is great. Do you remember the name of the campground,  by any chance? 

We always stop at Northern Energy in Tok for gas, free cold water rv wash, and they have free water fill, too, if you fill up at the gas station.  We always need it after the Yukon. (The 3 bears grocery store near Northern Energy is a good supply stop, too. It's not huge, but usually decent (for Alaska) prices and selections.

Mosquitoes have not been much of an issue, except in the Tundra. I took over 30 photos at the arctic circle marker, trying to get one without mosquitoes on our faces. Very purposeful little devils. We had planned to camp there, at the free campsites, and turned around and went back to Fox/Fairbanks, instead. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 3 months later...
On 6/6/2022 at 2:23 PM, SeaDawg said:

I'd drive it again, in a 4wd vehicle, all the way to Prudhoe. But nix a trailer. Leave the trailer in Fairbanks, book accommodations (sparse and spartan) and see something most people have never seen. Its incredibly beautiful in the Tundra.

SeaDawg:  Excellent advice! 

Beaver Pilot:   Please post your TV  and OTT info in your signature line.  

I have three close friends, all life-long residents of AK, who basically advised us the same concerns posted by SeaDawg. 

This past summer, we spent 45 days in Alaska with our OEII, most of it boondocking.  However we did not venture very far north of Fairbanks.  Over 15K from TX out and back.  You'll need to be prepared for a lot of flying missiles and very rough slow slogging roads heading your way, especially if you venture more than very far from Fairbanks. 

As an Alaska Bush pilot, you likely have all of the below.  But for new owners who have not DRIVEN to AK, here is a list of items that I found appropriate:  

• Searching "mud flaps"  and "stone stompers" postings at our forum. Start by looking at the bottom of all of John Davies post where he has a link to several of them.  He, and other owners have well documented DYI solutions that such a trip would warrant.  One suggestion that I did not take, that I wish I had done, was padding the front edges of my OEII and rear mud flaps on Ollie.  Got battle scars as a result.  
  • Bringing a full compliment of tire maintenance tools (TPMS, Air Gauge, Air Compressor, jack, and a tire plug kit is the minimum. 
  • Bring an RV satellite based navigation system/
  • I have, and recommend, a Garmin InReach Mini II. 
  • If you don't have Ford's 36 gallon fuel tank (or equivalent), then having extra fuel cans.
  • If your TV is older, then consider rubber hoses and belts.
  • Handy to have a spare engine oil filter and oil.  
  • Near perfect full size spares for both TV and Ollie.
  • Vehicle recovery gear. 
  • Good set of tools. 
  • First aid kit and extra meds for the duration of your trip (No Resupply).
  • Update your Ollie with outdoor bug lights (courtesy (puddle) lights and porch lights).   
  • Finally if going way north of Fairbanks, plan on replacing your windshield and likely your Oliver front logo when you get back.

Please keep us posted, and when you get back, kindly update the above list with your thoughts and experience.  Good luck and safe travels!

Geronimo John

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg