Bird nest and damage inside AC housing. Two questions for you all?

Bird built a nest inside the housing of the AC unit, next to the compressor.  I've cleaned it out, no major damage and unit works, but I noticed the bird chipped off some of the white styrofoam insulation.... See attached photo, more styrofoam removed from far left as compared to far right.  I am not sure what it is insulating? (something under the black plastic housing).  

First question, I estimate about 10% of the styrofoam has been removed...... worth my while to fix/replace with either a whole new piece or just try to patch the missing area?  Cost/difficulty/need for 100% insulation issues?

Second question, Has anyone else had this issue of birds nesting in housing, and how to prevent in future??  (For now I have a metal "bird spike" repeller loosely attached to outside of housing while parked at home, will remove when I am on the go.)IMG_0502.HEICIMG_0502.HEICIMG_0502.HEIC

Edited by Dave and Dana
spelling error

TV 2020 Audi Q7, no weight distribution hitch.  Ollie E2, Hull #1081, born April 2022.

• Moderators

I'd clean it out and then use an expanding foam like THIS STUFF to replace the missing insulation.

Then I'd get an air conditioner cover in the correct size similar to THIS in order to keep the birds out.

Good luck!

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

16 hours ago, topgun2 said:

I'd clean it out and then use an expanding foam like THIS STUFF to replace the missing insulation.

Then I'd get an air conditioner cover in the correct size similar to THIS in order to keep the birds out.

Good luck!

Bill

I use the cover Bill mentioned above. We have a cute little bird called a Carolina Wren that will build a nest 🪹 in short order. As soon as we bring our Ollie home from a trip I place the cover over the air conditioner shroud to keep the wrens out. It has worked great.

• Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg