Plug needed for F150 Hybrid with 7.2 kw plug

Hello! New owner of Hull #180 here! I have a 2022 Ford hybrid truck and would like to know what cord to purchase to plug my Legacy II in for A/C. The answer is probably simple but I am not in the same town as my camper at the moment.image.thumb.jpg.d26f0112b2e1630e038070b14fa0e6fe.jpgThis is the plug in the back of the truck. If anyone has this set up an Amazon link would be wonderful!

image.jpg

This is beyond my skill set, but I know you will only be able to use half that rated current per “leg” if you spilt it into two 120 volt legs. You can’t pull 30 amps like from a proper RV socket. But you could plug a second cord into that second leg for some other load like a chainsaw while the trailer was getting power.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/anyone-figure-out-how-to-convert-240v-outlet-to-120v-and-still-use-all-7-2kw.3148/

Doesn’t Ford offer the necessary 240 to 120 adapters? I would definitely go with OEM parts in this situation. If you use a no name China made cord and damage the inverter, Ford won’t be happy. I bet that unit is a couple of thousand $ at least.

I am guessing that this is appropriate.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Champion-Power-Equipment-3-ft-240-Volt-Y-Adapter-48035/203501783

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderator+

There have been other threads concerning this issue. I don’t think there’s any way to get the full 7200 watts as 120 volts. 

• Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Forgot this, if you are running the AC and also another light load inside the trailer, be sure to use a super heavy gauge cord, not any old 14AWG cord. I have been using this 10 AWG one almost continuously for five seasons, I only hook up my heavy 30 amp cord if it is stinky hot and I am stuck at a hook up site with 30 amp power. This cord won’t even get warm with peaks of 18 amps running from my Yamaha generator. It is holding up really well. Write your name on it with a sharpie  on it a few spots as a theft deterrent!

Polar/Solar 1787 10/3 15-Amp SJEO Outdoor Extension Cord with Lighted End, 25-Foot

the lighted ends are a nice touch, they tell at a glance if the other end is “hot”.

Did you look at your truck owners manual about adapters?

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

The link that John posted above has this Plug Adapter referenced. It basically uses one of the 120v legs to power your camper through your normal cord RV power cord. The two legs of 120 power (in your truck) are 180 degrees out of phase with each other. They cannot be combined (spliced) and I doubt many/any RV’s utilize appliances that require 240v. The 50 amp RV plug used in larger trailers just distributes each leg separately to different appliances/outlets in the trailer. 

Ideally generators would like the two 120v legs used evenly as far amp draw is concerned. I’m not sure if this is an issue with the ford truck outlet.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, ChrisMI said:

The link that John posted above has this Plug Adapter referenced. 

Another big caution about cheap power adapters and high amp circuits. They are cheap for a couple of reasons, they use smaller gauge poor quality wire (sometimes copper plated aluminum) and the pins in the socket and plug are substandard - they are undersized and weak, so they bend and you get a poor contact. Poof!

4DE383F2-56D2-440B-9A54-527A9A8FEC2A.thumb.jpeg.76869260c312b24ba603a2cf3e5d8136.jpeg

Camco makes decent RV accessories and I have bought a lot of them, but I won't buy anything electrical. Look for a good marine part like Marinco, and expect to pay double or more.  Kristie, you probably don’t want that to happen to your Ford inverter connection…

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

• Moderators

Hi, Kristie, and welcome to the family. 

Your Ollie should have come with a  30 amp rated power cord and a 30 to 20 adaptor for the plug. You could plug into the 120v/20a outlet below the 240v in your first picture. You should be able to run your a/c and some lights from that, though not the microwave or a hair dryer at the same time as the a/c. I was able to run my 13.5 dometic dinosaur a/c (no soft start)  on my home outlet in that way, and we do that to plug into our little Honda generator for charging our battery, as well. 

Congratulations on finding your Oliver! Happy camping.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

What I think is odd about this is Ford is selling this unit without the power adaptor included with the vehicle. I purchased a Honda Ridgeline some years ago before I got the RAM and it came with the brake controller harness and a trailer adaptor in the glovebox, just a nice added feature to get. Since the plug you need is different them most plugs for electrical hookups I would think it would have been shipped with the vehicle. The feature is a nice option, but I'm not sure as many have said it will work with the trailers A/C unit. 

trainman

• Like 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

8 hours ago, Kristie Mathis said:

Also, I have never used a forum and apologize for posting in the wrong place.

No worries, I am sure a very helpful moderator can move it to the general discussion one. Next time you start a thread, and I hope you will,  try to pick an appropriate section, it simplifies things. But nobody is going to get mad.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

• Moderators

@Kristie Mathis, I moved your thread to a different subforum. 

You'll find your way around the forum quickly. No worries.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.