Tires on new trailers

John Welte

3 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

There are so many factors built into our Ollies that provide that stability and handling. Tires, certainly,  are a part of it. Cheap tires can certainly mess up a good plan, right?

A few years ago, I  was thinking I'd be trading my Silverado soon, and since I  usually don't leave the county, just use it for short trips around town and trips to the lumber yard, garden center, and mulch yard, I bought cheaper tires for the first time in my life. Totally false economy. They were horrid in rain (despite reviews), wore quickly, and I was glad a few years later to find pirelli at tires on sale. Never again.

Yep, had the same experience with tires on a 87 Toyota pickup.

Find myself looking at SOB trailers to see what kind of tires they come with new. When we first saw an Oliver during 2010, we loved how the Ollie looked, but it goes much deeper, tires are just one area that makes our Ollies great campers!

• Like 5
  • Love 1

LE2

Made a mistake with my Cooper tires and got the AT3 4s. Great customer service at tire rack. Still got them sitting in the garage and ups will pick them up tomorrow. I noticed the 44 psi and thought something was off. Going with 225/75/16 AT3 LT's. About a 50$ mistake. 

I did see the HT3's are a little cheaper but wanted to go with the ones Oliver is running. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, geO said:

Made a mistake with my Cooper tires and got the AT3 4s. Great customer service at tire rack. Still got them sitting in the garage and ups will pick them up tomorrow. I noticed the 44 psi and thought something was off. Going with 225/75/16 AT3 LT's. About a 50$ mistake. 

I did see the HT3's are a little cheaper but wanted to go with the ones Oliver is running. 

That 4S variant is pretty much a winter capable car tire. You could have run them on the Ollie but you would basically have to run them at the full sidewall pressure, and then there is the risk of sidewall cuts because there aren't as many cords there or in the tread. I think they would be great if they were offered in a Load E variation. Was that $50 for return shipping? That seems quite reasonable to me in these hard times. Tire shopping can be exhausting emotionally, it is always prudent to really study and understand the specifications.

Good catch. It would have been bad if you did not notice until after they were installed! Or never noticed and put 50 or 60 psi in them.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John, They gave me a credit and I have to pay the $50 for the return. I can live with that. This was my first time ordering from a website and I was somewhat confused as I had several pages up. Anyway Lesson learned! 

• Like 3

Our LEII, Hull 990, was delivered in mid-February, 2022.  It is equipped with CooperLT225 /75R16 Cooper Discoverer HT3 tires:

Also, none of the wheels & tires were balanced at delivery.  I recently took the trailer to a local Discount Tire location and had all five wheels/tires balanced and chrome steel valve stems installed on all wheels.  The cost was just $112.06, with tax.  Each wheel required a significant amount of weights to achieve dynamic balance.

On several occasions, when checking tire pressure, the cores of the original rubber valve stems would stick open, allowing air to escape.  On some of those occasions, I was able to use a pocket knife to probe the core and get it to reseat and close.  The chrome steel valve stems provide a much more substantial mount for the TireMinder TPMS sensors on each wheel.

IMG_0722.thumb.jpeg.60c4dc56f4c54e6cc691504102abc09d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.423876f1a40582fa5e462293b2991f13.jpeg

• Like 6

spacer.pngNorth Texas | 2022 LEII, Hull #990, delivered 2/17/22 | 2014 BMW X5 35d

23 minutes ago, dhaig said:

Also, none of the wheels & tires were balanced at delivery.

I find this disturbing.  Unbalanced tires are less safe. 

Tires on new cars and trucks are balanced, why not tires on new high-end trailers?  You pay $65K+ for a brand new trailer, then get to take it to a tire shop to have all 4 tires balanced?

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, geO said:

Thanks for the info. So Oliver is using the HT3's. I guess I was wrong again.

I’ve been using the AT3s for 18 months and a lot of miles.  Good tires.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

4 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

I’ve been using the AT3s for 18 months and a lot of miles.  Good tires.

Thanks Mike. I think I'll be happy with them. The HT3's are a little less money.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

Tires on new cars and trucks are balanced, why not tires on new high-end trailers?  You pay $65K+ for a brand new trailer, then get to take it to a tire shop to have all 4 tires balanced?

I checked my 2021 on pickup, all 4 were balanced.   It seems some slip through.   This has come up before, Oliver will reimburse the owner for the balancing, but it’s still a hassle.  Also, just to confirm, 2019 & later are using Cooper Discoverer HT3  LT 225/75R/16 tires.  

• Like 4

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250