TireMinder TPMS and Signal Booster Installation

dhaig

Shortly after arriving home from our delivery trip to Hohenwald, I installed a TireMinder i10 Tire Pressure Management System (TPMS), with six sensors, a monitor and a signal booster (installed later).  Four of the sensors were fitted to the valve stems of the four trailer wheels on the ground, one on the trailer spare and one to the tow vehicle spare.  The sensors transmit tire pressure and tire temperature status continuously to the small monitor in the tow vehicle.  The 433 MHz RF signal booster is to ensure the signals from the sensors reach the monitor.

The TPMS is quite configurable and can support up to 10 sensors simultaneously.  Thresholds can be user specified and the system is preconfigured to create alerts for slow leaks or catastrophic loss of tire pressure.

I first mounted the sensors to all the six wheels.  The sensors appeared to have no problem communicating with the monitor in the tow vehicle.  I deferred about a month installing the signal booster.  Mounting the sensors is quite straightforward, requiring only insertion of provided disc batteries to the sensors, then screwing the sensors onto the valve stems.  I like the inclusion of a lock nut to secure the sensors to the valve stems, using a provided small wrench.

TireMinder Air Pressure & Temperature Sensor
image.thumb.jpeg.4355f2dc626fa515b501770b53ff0fe9.jpeg

TireMinder i10 Monitor
image.thumb.jpeg.5954a0ef1e2e2288a5b062e62dbc9ce8.jpeg

On each spare wheel I added 36" long extension hoses ($11 each) and 90 degree valve stem extensions ($7/pair), based on a recommendation from @John E Davies.  The TireMinder sensors are mounted to the end of the extension hoses, which are routed through the wheel spokes to the accessible side of the spares.  The valve stem extensions allow the hoses to be attached to the valve stems with no danger of kinking.   These accessories eliminate a huge PITA- both spares are stored with their valve stems inaccessible.  The trailer spare mounts with the valve stem facing the rear wall of the trailer.  The tow vehicle spare is stowed valve stem down in a well under the cargo area at the rear of the vehicle.  Now the TPMS reports the tire pressure with no hassle.  Even if the spares require addition of air, the access is easy, without removing the spares from their storage positions.

image.thumb.jpeg.ec7abf188ad4c291f0bd2c087d345cbd.jpeg

I always intended to install the signal booster, but had not settled on the best location.  The installation instructions recommend locating the signal booster on the undercarriage, toward the front of travel trailers, with the antennas pointed toward the ground.  The signal booster requires 12 volts DC for operation.  

I searched the OTTO forum seeking information on locations chosen by Oliver LEII owners for mounting such signal boosters.  I found references to mounting signal boosters within the doghouse or in one of the upper storage compartments, neither of which appeared to offer ease of connection to a 12 VDC supply.  Other owners indicated they had not installed the signal booster, since the monitor seemed to reliably provide tire pressure and temperature information.

While vacuuming fiberglass dust from all areas accessible under the interior access hatches, I found what appeared to be an ideal location for the TPMS signal booster. The hatch under the rear dinette seat is the location of the Progressive Industries Surge Protector, mounted to the wall on the aisle side of the compartment.  Adjacent to that location is a large area of unobstructed wall.  Just below the surge protector is a ground bus and on the forward wall is the rear of the DC distribution panel.  I believe this is a very desirable location for the signal booster.  It is located low, slightly forward of the axles, in a protected space near the needed power supply.

TPMS Signal Booster Location
image.thumb.jpeg.e7f310a51517488cc6fc1eced0271b65.jpeg
The TireMinder Signal Booster is attached to the fiberglass wall using an Industrial Velcro Coin, which enables easy removal. 

TPMS 12 VDC Power Switch
I chose the top of the Progress Industries Surge Protector to mount a switch to turn the 12 VDC power supply to the TireMinder Signal Booster ON/OFF.  The signal booster has a green light to indicate the power is ON.  The wires from the signal booster are very thin and are both black (despite the instruction manual indicating one to be red and the other black).  I don't believe it matters which is +12 VDC and which is Ground (GND).  I routed the wires along cables in the compartment.  The pink zip ties appearing in the photos provide clues to the routing.
image.thumb.jpeg.3ada230355aff35bf02c974381db6700.jpeg

I arbitrarily selected a position on the Ground Bus to mount one of the wires to be Ground.  The other wire was routed to the rear of the DC Distribution Panel, mounted on the forward wall of the compartment.  Fuse position 14 was unused, so I selected it and connected the second wire from the TireMinder Signal Booster, using a crimp-on connector.  Finally, I inserted a 3 amp fuse to the front side of the DC Distribution Panel, position 14.

DC Ground Bus
image.thumb.jpeg.e0248dcc7081982b073ecc591c6da95c.jpeg

DC Distribution Panel (Rear)
image.thumb.jpeg.e59802b8f048bbb8515dc07a22c96ccb.jpeg

DC Distribution Panel (Front)
image.thumb.jpeg.bd3ad5be5b93f7a5c578cc03cc20e420.jpeg

Summary
Although I had encountered no problems with the communication between the tire pressure/temperature sensors and the TireMinder Monitor, I believe having the signal booster installed reduces the risk of loss of communication between the sensors and the monitor.  I have been leaving the signal booster on while traveling and turning power OFF when in storage.  The signal booster draws only 75mA (Transmitting) to 14mA (Inactive).

I tested the range with the signal booster installed and powered ON.  I was able to walk over 300 feet from the trailer with the monitor receiving signals.  I have been impressed with the TireMinder TPMS system.  I have not mounted the monitor in the tow vehicle, but keep it on the center console, where I can view it as desired, and also hear any alarms which may occur.  I purchased the TireMinder i10 and six sensors from TechnoRV (https://www.technorv.com/) for $279.65 (no shipping and no sales tax).
  • Like 9
  • Love 1

spacer.pngNorth Texas | 2022 LEII, Hull #990, delivered 2/17/22 | 2014 BMW X5 35d

19 hours ago, dhaig said:

The wires from the signal booster are very thin and are both black (despite the instruction manual indicating one to be red and the other black).  I don't believe it matters which is +12 VDC and which is Ground (GND).  

Although both wires attached to the signal booster are black, I note that they come with red and black alligator clips.  I presume you connected the wire that came with a black clip to the ground bus, and the wire that came with a red clip to the DC distribution panel?

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

I don't recall the alligator clips.  I did find an instruction sheet in the box which mentions the alligator clips. I would never have considered using them for reliable connection to a DC power supply.  Either the polarity doesn't matter, or I got lucky.  In any case, the signal booster works fine.

• Like 2

spacer.pngNorth Texas | 2022 LEII, Hull #990, delivered 2/17/22 | 2014 BMW X5 35d

• Moderator+

I mounted my signal booster inside the bathroom vanity attached to the front wall. I drew power from the switch that turns the camera on. 

Our new truck monitors the trailer tires as well as its own so I removed it all and sold it to a new owner

• Like 4

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

6 minutes ago, ScubaRx said:

I mounted my signal booster inside the bathroom vanity attached to the front wall. I drew power from the switch that turns the camera on. 

Our new truck monitors the trailer tires as well as its own so I removed it all and sold it to a new owner

Steve,

How did you tie into the camera power?  Also, inside the "vanity"?  Is this the overhead cabinet above the toilet or behind the towel bar below the  sink?

Thanks, 

• Like 2

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

• 7 months later...
On 6/9/2022 at 5:19 PM, dhaig said:

While vacuuming fiberglass dust from all areas accessible under the interior access hatches, I found what appeared to be an ideal location for the TPMS signal booster. The hatch under the rear dinette seat is the location of the Progressive Industries Surge Protector, mounted to the wall on the aisle side of the compartment.  Adjacent to that location is a large area of unobstructed wall.  Just below the surge protector is a ground bus and on the forward wall is the rear of the DC distribution panel.  I believe this is a very desirable location for the signal booster.  It is located low, slightly forward of the axles, in a protected space near the needed power supply.

I just completed the mounting of our Tire Minder TPMS booster, following your excellent instructions and photos.  I am pleased with the location of the booster and the relative ease of installation, relying on your post.

Thanks for posting! 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg