Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel

Trainman

Being a Jeep Wrangler person and have owned one in the past I keep thinking I should buy another one.  My biggest reason for not just buying another one is it will just set around and get very little use, the last one I keep 3 years and put 3500 miles on it, it was at best very little used as a TOY. I have been watching all the YouTube videos that I can find on the Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel and this looks like it would work to satisfy my Jeep wants and will meet the requirements to pull our Oliver Elite II. The max towing is 6700 lbs. with the diesel which is less them the 3.6 gas engine at 7200 lbs., but you get 445 pound of torque which will do the job. This engine is also used in the RAM 1500 with good results for its size and is proven itself over time. Owners are averaging 28-30 mpg, that's not towing, just city and highway driving, personally fuel prices are not really a concern, but I would like to see them stay reasonable at best. Also let me say here, we are not what you would call campers that travel a long way from home and camp more then say 8-10 times per year, so camping is somewhat not mainly what we do. I know all the pros and cons of Jeep ownership, so that's not what I asking here, just want to know what you think of a Gladiator towing the Oliver with the EcoDiesel.

trainman

• Like 2

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

My A&P has one, it’s really nice looking and he reported 28 ish mpg. I absolutely would get that engine over the gas option which I’ve been told is gutless with a trailer.  Carefully check the payload as I think the oil burner is only available on the higher (heavier) trims. 

• Like 2

If you are just doing short trips and not racking up a lot of miles, the Ecodiesel doesn’t make very much sense. Short trips with inadequate cruising time for regens is very hard on any modern diesel. The high up front cost and long term expenses for emissions stuff and DEF will buy a lot of gas, but that wonderful torque is addictive.

I personally would not own another diesel vehicle of any kind. But the Ford 7.3 Godzilla gas engine has diesel like power, but with super simplicity and it appeals to me for those reasons.

I have to admit that I love the look of the Gladiator but the price seems a little out of line for what you get. Have the dealers quit price gouging?

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

Have the dealers quit price gouging?

Isn't that kind of like asking someone if they have stopped beating their wife yet?🙄

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Diesel is $6 here, plus. Regular gas, $4.50 or a bit more.

• Sad 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

Diesel is $6 here, plus. Regular gas, $4.50 or a bit more.

And to think 18 months ago we were energy independent…. wow, not a happy camper.

• Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

Is what it is. Relative to the 70s, probably not so bad. 

We'll get through it. We always do.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderator+
1 hour ago, Patriot said:

And to think 18 months ago we were energy independent…. wow, not a happy camper.

Yeah, I agree. What do you think happened?

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderator+

Gladiator as a tow for Elite II 👎🏼

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

9 minutes ago, ScubaRx said:

Yeah, I agree. What do you think happened?

Have to say I’m a bit disappointed that I was censored several months ago by moderators who claimed my comment about “the greenies” was political and in violation of the forum rules - and yet these hardly covert comments about “energy independence” , etc. - go unchecked. 

Double standard, I guess.

• Moderator+

Sorry KP, I was just baiting you and everyone else. We all know what happened 18 months ago. I don’t like it either. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Let's tiptoe a bit, and keep this non-political? Please. 

And, stay on topic?

Op is asking only for opinions on gladiator, gas vs diesel, as an appropriate TV for his le2.

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

33 minutes ago, Steph and Dud B said:

What's the wheelbase on the Gladiator? Shorter wheelbases are less stable tow vehicles, regardless of the tow rating.

137.3 inches. Almost 18 inches longer than the Land Cruiser 200 (120 inches). It should be fairly stable with the Andersen. OTH the LE would be a better match in terms of tongue weight and off road ability, but that last part was not part of the question.

There are some important frontal area and TW limitations, the LE2 would need to be kept tongue light. For example, keep the generator in the front of the bed, not on the tongue.

https://offroading.com/the-2022-jeep-gladiator-towing-capacity-an-in-depth-comparison/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

2 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

Gladiator as a tow for Elite II 👎🏼

💯 Agree, no go here on the Jeep Gladiator for a TV for the Elite ll. 

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

When we picked up our Oliver elite, February 2008, we towed it back to Florida with a 2004 Volvo xc90. Probably 70 to  80 per cent of rated capacity, and it did fine in flats, struggled a bit in the hills. But, it was fine , for that trip. We used it a few more times, for short and local trips. It was not a mountain  vehicle. Did that once, only.

I'd not buy a vehicle under rated for what we often do (mountains,  severe elevation changes), but hey, if you're towing mostly short trips without major elevation changes, within tow ranges, what's the opinion? Plus, an enjoyable daily driver with decent mileage? (Not to mention,  fun daily driver?)

Sometimes, it's nice to use what you have, multi purpose. Not stretching, too much. Been there, done that.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I agree with most post and I do understand that most would not go with the Gladiator diesel as a tow vehicle, not that it can't do it, but there are many other tow vehicle in the same price range and will do a better job. My RAM 5.7 4X4 does a great job and the Gladiator diesel will not equal it in any way. All being said, this is just something that came up and I may, or may not give it a shot. 

trainman 

• Like 2

Trainman, if payload isn't an issue, I am sure you would find the engine braking of the diesel to be superior to your RAM and the fuel mileage to be far superior.

Living in the west and driving in the mountains on every trip we take, I personally would only tow with a diesel.  We have a lot of steep mountains out here. 

You don't need a full-size truck to have a great towing experience.

Andrew 

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

My last thought is if we are going to like the ride of the Gladiator, it is not going to be the ride comfort that the 2019 RAM offers. I guess going to the dealer and driving a Gladiator will be the decision maker on if we decide to go will with one or not. As far as what the Gladiator vs RAM can carry both inside and out the Gladiator looses here, but like I have said many times we a minimalist campers, so carrying a lot of extra's is not out thing. There are several things that the Jeep Gladiator does not offer, no 7 pin trailer connector as a factory option, no trailer brake controller, no Tow Haul Mode which may not be needed with a diesel, side mirrors offer no option to extend them, which the Jeep being narrower then most tow vehicles will be a problem, and the list goes on. When you can just get in the RAM with all these features standard from the factory and go I sometimes wonder if it's even worth it, it's almost easier to buy another Jeep as a TOY and be done with it. Thanks to everyone who replied, looks like the Gladiator Diesel can do the job, now just deciding if it's worth all the other things that will have to be added to make the Gladiator a good towing vehicles.  

trainman

• Like 1