Trip Report: 10 nights boondocking. Success!

VBistro

Oh! And in case you were wondering, we didn't drink all that wine by ourselves.  We like to share with our friends!  🙂

• Love 1
  • Haha 6
  • Wow 1

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

16 minutes ago, RunninOnMT said:

We volunteer to be your friends!  😄

LOL.  We're always happy to make new ones!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

1 hour ago, VBistro said:

Oh! And in case you were wondering, we didn't drink all that wine by ourselves.  We like to share with our friends!  🙂

D4F5A4D6-A135-477D-A80A-A0715F1EBEF1.thumb.jpeg.fda8b6f8d4e75b3a2516098f430595b7.jpeg

😅

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 5

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

What great pictures! I appreciate the report, thanks for taking the time to post your information!

Kirk

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

• Moderators
1 hour ago, VBistro said:

Where we DID have issues with altitude was with the Suburban water heater. 

Interesting in that I fly fish each summer for two months in the Rocky Mountain West.  I have never had an issue with the water heater firing up and my camp sites are virtually always at or above 6,500 feet and have been as high as 11,500 feet.

One "issue" that I did have early on was an accumulation of "stuff" in the burner area that was caused by paint, rust, dirt ("stuff") falling down the vent/exhaust pipe and "shorting" the burner sensor.  I always carry a small can of compressed air for the purpose of blowing out this area.

Bill

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Great report, I am glad the Ollie worked so well. What solar port is on your trailer? If it is the round Furrion one, that connector is only rated for 10 amps, which is why the 10 amp fuse is there. The wires are plenty large. So if you have that round connector you are grossly overloading it with 18 amps. If you have a different brand, it may be rated higher. 

I haven't ever had any issues with water heater or furnace at 7500 feet. You should check and adjust your gas supply pressure to be sure there isn't a problem there, before swapping jets around. For the gas check you need a special tool or have an RV tech do it.  If the gas supply is in spec, then you can proceed with the following.

FYI it is about a two minute job to swap out the gas jet in the Suburban water heater for a smaller one. It simply clips in place. Since it obviously was having issues, try a smaller jet, ask your local RV shop what they recommender for the size. A larger number stamped on the brass jet is a SMALLER hole. You don't need to pay somebody to do this! Put the original back in when you get back to say 5000 feet.

image.thumb.jpeg.f41e88e29ffbfaed4138b2f19cd8bd26.jpeg

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/3243-how-to-service-and-inspect-your-suburban-hot-water-heater-gas-system/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

Great report, I am glad the Ollie worked so well. What solar port is on your trailer? If it is the round Furrion one, that connector is only rated for 10 amps, which is why the 10 amp fuse is there. The wires are plenty large. So if you have that round connector you are grossly overloading it with 18 amps. If you have a different brand, it may be rated higher. 

Excellent point about the port itself, John.  We hadn't considered that.

Ours is a zamp port, and I just chatted with Zamp customer service.  The port is rated to 345W, or approximately 20-25 Amps.  We're good on that front, and given that all of the other wiring is 10 guage, we should be fine.  I'll still put in a call to Oliver.

Thanks! And I'll take a close look at your info on the water heater.  It works just fine at home (5400 feet), so it likely is just a simple jet issue and not a supply issue.

• Like 1

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

Forgot, it isn’t uncommon for the gas jet to get a build up of crud around the hole, that thread shows how you can clean it. But if it is running too rich at 7500 feet that may not fix it. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

3 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Interesting in that I fly fish each summer for two months in the Rocky Mountain West.  I have never had an issue with the water heater firing up and my camp sites are virtually always at or above 6,500 feet and have been as high as 11,500 feet.

One "issue" that I did have early on was an accumulation of "stuff" in the burner area that was caused by paint, rust, dirt ("stuff") falling down the vent/exhaust pipe and "shorting" the burner sensor.  I always carry a small can of compressed air for the purpose of blowing out this area.

Bill

Interesting...I did notice some black "junk" on the base in the water heater compartment.  I'll go blow all around the compartment later today.  Just stick it in the exhaust pipe, or is there a particular spot/method?

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, VBistro said:

Just stick it in the exhaust pipe, or is there a particular spot/method?

The only place to NOT blow the compressed air is directly into the gas jet that JD showed in the picture above.  Other than that simply blow all of the stuff out of there.  A real telling area to direct the stream of air will be straight up the flue - if you get a small shower of particles back down, you just might have found the "problem".

Bill

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Great post and pictures.

Your post kind of changed my mind on lithionics,

I also see a new way to use the front storage basket. Never thought of that as a wine cellar.

Thanks

• Haha 3

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• Moderators

Your Lifesaver Jerrycan looks really interesting, and like something that could really extend boondocking time if you're near a water source, without worrying about contracting giardia or norovirus.  I read some great reviews on it after looking at your link.

How long have you had it? Is it difficult to clean? Easy to use? It looks a bit pricey, but "priceless" when needed.

I see they also make smaller sized equipment like the cube. 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

3 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Your Lifesaver Jerrycan looks really interesting, and like something that could really extend boondocking time if you're near a water source, without worrying about contracting giardia or norovirus.  I read some great reviews on it after looking at your link.

How long have you had it? Is it difficult to clean? Easy to use? It looks a bit pricey, but "priceless" when needed.

I see they also make smaller sized equipment like the cube. 

This was the first time we used it...and we haven't gotten around to cleaning it.  But the process looks quite straightforward.  Sicking my better half on it today!  😉

https://iconlifesaver.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/LifeSaver-Jerrycan-Instruction-Manual-2-2.pdf?v=7516fd43adaa

This really did allow us to boondock for longer than we would have without it.  While we only purified 6-8 gallons, we could have easily done more if friends hadn't re-supplied us with potable water when they arrived at camp.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

My experience at altitude was similar - the furnace didn't like it. Above 7k and it had trouble with ignition. Seems to be a hit or miss problem. Our companion Oliver seemed just fine....

Glad you're having fun.

RB

• Like 4

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators

We will be dry camping at over 10,000 feet the July 4 weekend.  I expect temps in the 30s at night.  We’ve camped at 9,000 feet with no issues.  Hopefully our furnace will light!  If not, I will take off my mittens and update this post!  Mike

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS