Services, memberships, apps, etc for long trips

We bought our Ollie to enable us to take extended trips (>1 month in duration). Do the members of this forum have any suggestions or strong opinions on services or memberships or (I'm afraid to say it) apps that make travelling easier on the road or at home while away? For instance:

Type: Example

1. Big box department stores: Sam's Club; Costco
  2. International data plans to call from Canada or Mexico
  3. Boondocking clubs: Harvest Host; Boondockers Welcome
  4. A lawn mowing service
  5. Automatic bill pay
  6. Mail forwarding
  7. etc

John and Jodi

San Antonio, TX

2022 Elite II - Hull #1126 being pulled by a 2022 F-150 Powerboost.

Map Legend: Red - Driven Through; Orange - Stopped In; Blue - Explored Parts; Green - Explored Whole

States 20230917.png

We have not been gone for a month yet (several times for 2 weeks or so), so can't help you on all the issues, but here is what I use.

Harvest host is a yes for us. Automatic drafting for utilities, etc I have used for a long time. International data plans for Canada we set up when we are headed there, then drop after we are back. Mail forwarding and lawn service we haven't needed yet. I have some church teens that would take care of the lawn if I need it and a daughter that can check on the mail occasionally.

image.jpeg.09f40a09983d95bd862eb789e3430148.jpeg

2019 Ram 1500 5.7L V8, 3.92 axle ratio - 2020 LEll - Hull676

• Moderators

I like Google. 

Waze, campendium. Allstays. Gasbuddy.

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Costco and Sam's are very helpful memberships on the road, for us. We filled up at the new costco gas station in Pooler , Georgia (near Savannah Airport, just off 95) this morning at the "bargain rate" of $4.12, when most other stations were 25 to 35 cents higher. Gasbuddy checks revealed the lower price in Georgia vs Columbia SC, costco, and, our big fuel tank allowed us to get there from North Carolina. 

Their gas stations are always one way in, one way out, so no jumbled messes pinning your rig, or requiring tight turns,, like some of the truck stops. But, most don't have diesel, just regular and premium.

Our fuel savings more than pay for our membership. Everything else is a bonus. It's nice having both, as there are more costcos in Canada and Alaska than Sam's. Not sure if any sam's left in Canada . Conversely, more Sams in many states than costco. We have three favorite Costco spots between our home in Florida,  and our camping spot in north carolina, but only Sam's in Asheville. (But, Murphy and some of the Ingles grocery stores are often as good or better than Sam's. GasBuddy is my real buddy.)

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We're fortunate & have a slot in door for mail. "USPS Informed Delivery" sends an email daily that has images of what's being delivered that day. All bills paid electronically so there is rarely anything important. 

A good friend stays at our house a few days a week. House looks lived in & she runs appliances, toilets etc. The best part is she deep cleans the house. 

A neighbor drives our other vehicle to work a couple days a week and parks his car in our driveway.

Yard service, yes.

HVAC Thermostat & irrigation controllers on wifi.

Emergency contact list contains names of people we trust to make decisions re emergency house repairs. Plumber, electrician, carpenter ...

Keyless entry on back door so repair people can get in.

♡ Harvest Host.

• Like 7
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

We use:

1. Harvest Host for free camping sites at breweries, winerys, farms, golf courses, etc. This is a web based site and there is a membership fee for this site.

2. Rvparky which is a web based site and free. We plan out our trip before leaving home, add in our anticipated stop locations and it will tell you the miles and extimated travel time between locations. At each stop you can click on camping locations and there is a list of a lot of camping sites listed, including Walmarts, Costco's, TA locations, rest areas, etc. 

3. A Garmin 890 GPS which has camping sites and points of interest that can be accessed at each location.

• Like 6

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

On 6/22/2022 at 5:28 AM, dewdev said:

Harvest Host for free camping sites at breweries, winerys, farms, golf courses, etc. This is a web based site and there is a membership fee for this site.

“Free” camping, though in fact the code of conduct requests that you to buy something to support the host, a $20 minimum purchase. If you are at a winery and don’t consume alcohol, or an air museum and don’t like airplanes, or the potato museum, or the vacuum cleaner museum, that can be a big problem. Even if you drink wine, it gets old buying more bottles or cheese than you want to consume. If they have a cafe or snack bar, you can eat there and tip well.

33AE59A5-38C1-45EF-9D01-786556857A89.thumb.png.e63343002ef393a268c611af585ee8b1.png

https://harvesthosts.com/code-of-conduct/

Boondockers Welcome has no $ constraints, but the likelihood of having a poor experience is higher because these are just folks letting you park in their driveway or vacant lot. Sometimes the drive in is rough and dusty, or muddy. Because they are doing this for free, they seem to be lonely older people seeking company, who want to talk and talk and talk….. Of the two, I tend to use the BW sites, unless there is a particularly enticing commercial spot at a HH. If you join both the map shows all the locations with color coded icons.

These sites do help you to save money, when gas prices are so horribly high. But they tend to be clustered along the major highways in populated areas, and if you are headed to the Nevada boonies, don’t expect to find many choices. 

C483FDD9-247E-41DB-83DD-91E28C0AC3AF.thumb.png.191fe97618fc4aa27e50b6bba886eae0.png

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 6

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

“Free” camping, though in fact the code of conduct requests that you to buy something to support the host, a $20 minimum purchase. If you are at a winery and don’t consume alcohol, or an air museum and don’t like airplanes, or the potato museum, or the vacuum cleaner museum, that can be a big problem. Even if you drink wine, it gets old buying more bottles or cheese than you want to consume. If they have a cafe or snack bar, you can eat there and tip well.

But, concerning The Museum of Clean, There is a great brewery right next to it.  Porteuf Valley Brewing. 

• Like 5

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

Here is a free app we find very handy when deciding on fuel stops. It works great if we are traveling on the superslab which we do try to usually avoid. We typically prefer the roads less traveled.

It’s called IExit.

0A2E67A9-3C5B-4A19-81C1-F038A85045DE.thumb.jpeg.5049beedda1ea2bbcd843b7974ed5064.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

On 6/23/2022 at 1:33 PM, Kirk Peterson said:

But, concerning The Museum of Clean, There is a great brewery right next to it.  Porteuf Valley Brewing. 

Cool! You can do the clean museum tour and discuss it over a brew. 🍻😊

• Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, Patriot said:

You can do the clean museum tour and discuss it over a brew.

Or - 

You can have a few brews and not really care about being clean.😁

• Haha 5

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 1 year later...

I received my bi-weekly solicitation from AAA in today's mail, and because I was neck deep in truck and Oliver stuff it made me wonder - "What travel services or clubs have others found useful?" I was halfway into starting a new thread when I thought - "I really should do a search to see if there thread is already out there." Glad I did - hate to be "that person who needs to learn to search." 🙂

When we first picked up "Reset" one of the exciting things was the idea of boondocking - something we could not do in our prior camper. So, I signed up for membership to Harvest Hosts. Over the year and a renewal, we have used it once - staying at a distillery in Kentucky. It was a delightful evening, and being at a distillery I had no problem meeting the $20 purchase recommendation. Our travels and the HH locations have not overlapped a great deal to date, it's still an aspirational thing rather than very useful.

Good Sam - signed up for the insurance which has been good so far, although I need to shop the overall plans. The trip routing tools are nice; however I have recently been playing around with the planner from RVLife and really like the way it works. The gas discounts are great - especially since Pilot Flying J is currently stacking the Good Sam Discount with their own app discount.

Looking at the AAA offerings while printing yet another window sticker to review, I got to wondering "Is there a perfect travel club or service? One that provides the best tools and benefits?"

Adding this comment to bump this thread up and see if there are new things in 2023 that people think are valuable / not valuable.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

New Tow Vehicle: 2023 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost /w 3.55 axle and Maxtow Package "Name TBD"
Original and still available Tow Vehicle: 2022 Subaru Ascent "Blue Moose"
2022 Oliver Elite I - Hull #1030 "
Reset"
Home Base Duncanville, TX

ALARKYMSTNTXmed.jpg

• Moderators

We've never used our good sams road insurance on the trailer, but used it several times on vehicles, all covered under the policy.  (Friends have used it successfully, for rrailer and truck, in the past. )

Good service, and really decent response times, for us.. 

Back in the day, aaa didn't offer trailer insurance,   so we went with good Sam's. Never disappointed. 

They do send an annoying bunch of emails, however. Truly annoying.  But, I have a quick finger on delete, so there..!

I, too, would like to know if there is something better, covering tv and trailer. 

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

If you can access USAA (for veterans and family members of service members) I can recommend USAA for truck and trailer. They didn't offer insurance on the trailers when I purchased my Oliver, but this year I learned they started offering it. LAST year, I lived through Hurricane Ian and my tow vehicle did NOT. USAA was prompt and easy to deal with, and I had a replacement before the end of October (less than a month later - which is good, since many of the vehicles in SW Florida were totaled and the supply was lean). I've only had to use them for vehicle issues (being rear-ended and then the hurricane) but both times I had excellent service. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

On 6/18/2022 at 3:49 PM, SeaDawg said:

We filled up at the new costco gas station in Pooler , Georgia (near Savannah Airport, just off 95) this morning at the "bargain rate" of $4.12, when most other stations were 25 to 35 cents higher.

I discovered that some of the Costco locations offer diesel -- yesterday Costco in Bismarck ND sold diesel for $3.29.  My Costco membership is paid for in savings easily. I do wish that my local warehouse in Florida carried diesel.

• Like 4

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

• Moderators

I also wish they'd add a non-ethanol pump at Costco. 

I agree,  our gas savings pay for our membership.  We have their credit card. The bonuses via business membership and card more than double our membership. 

I really like costco. Great organic products. Terrific, and happy, employees.  I see (and know by name) many of  the same people working in our store that were working two decades ago when we joined. That doesn't happen in very many stores, anymore.

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Patriot:

I use the GasBuddy app to find gas pricing when I travel.

Works for me.

• Like 4

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine