Towing with a Sprinter 2500

cyclelodge

Hi all,  Has anyone towed an Elite with a Sprinter and if so, how did it do? I found an informative post with lots of advice, most saying it would be pushing the 5000lb gvwr to it's limit which is not advised. We have a 2016 Sprinter 2500 Crew van / 144" wb/2WD. Just searching if anyone has towed with the Sprinter and any feedback.  We are liking the Olivers, just not sure I want to change tow vehicles as we use the Sprinter for our business. It would be loaded light with bicycles and gear while camping. Thanks in advance.

I cannot comment directly, but I recently met a Colorado guy in remote NW Nevada at a hot springs, he had a recent Winnebago Revel 4x4 camper, He was all over our LE2, he said that he wanted to get an Elite to pull behind the Revel. He seemed very knowledgeable about RVs in general. So I don’t think it would be a problem as long as you are aware of tongue weight limitations  and don’t fill the TV with ammo and anvils…..😬 What are the payload specs for your particular Sprinter? Which roof?

Have you considered borrowing or renting a 5000 pound trailer to tow for a weekend? Even a U-haul loaded with two yards of beauty bark would work as a test mule. I think it would answer all your questions in the space of a few miles, especially if you live near any serious grades.

And welcome to the forum.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

On 6/17/2022 at 8:55 PM, John E Davies said:

I cannot comment directly, but I recently met a Colorado guy in remote NW Nevada at a hot springs, he had a recent Winnebago Revel 4x4 camper, He was all over our LE2, he said that he wanted to get an Elite to pull behind the Revel. He seemed very knowledgeable about RVs in general. So I don’t think it would be a problem as long as you are aware of tongue weight limitations  and don’t fill the TV with ammo and anvils…..😬 What are the payload specs for your particular Sprinter? Which roof?

Have you considered borrowing or renting a 5000 pound trailer to tow for a weekend? Even a U-haul loaded with two yards of beauty bark would work as a test mule. I think it would answer all your questions in the space of a few miles, especially if you live near any serious grades.

And welcome to the forum.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Thank you for the reply and great idea on the u-haul rental. Our sprinter is the high roof with a max 500 lb tongue weight. Jimmy.

• Like 2

I put many a mile in our Sprinter - other than glow plugs that seemed to need attention every 20K miles it was a fantastic vehicle. I towed a tandem axel trailer loaded down with dirt bikes several times with no issues. I would think an Elite would not be an issue.  The Oliver tows very well, and the Sprinter diesel was very good in the torque department, as JD advised try towing with yours and make a determination.

I do miss our Sprinter.

RB

• Like 4

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

We had a 3500 MB Airstream Sprinter - we never towed with it - it had a 5k tow rating.  My concern would not be the power of the sprinter - but its wind issues are a problem without towing.  If you select the shorter E towed by a 2500 - I'd think there may be little problem if using an Anderson hitch.  If you select the longer E2, I'd give some serious thought about wind issues.

Charlie 

• Like 3

ALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMA

Arizona | 2020 Oliver Elite II Twin bed Hull #617 | 2021 Ram 1500 e-Hemi 4x4

12 hours ago, BackofBeyond said:

I put many a mile in our Sprinter - other than glow plugs that seemed to need attention every 20K miles it was a fantastic vehicle. I towed a tandem axel trailer loaded down with dirt bikes several times with no issues. I would think an Elite would not be an issue.  The Oliver tows very well, and the Sprinter diesel was very good in the torque department, as JD advised try towing with yours and make a determination.

I do miss our Sprinter.

RB

Thanks for the response. Will try to test with a rental.