Norcold performance in hot weather

We have about 10 nights under our belts in 2022 LE2 #1034 are not really sure that our Norcold is performing up to par.  Our last trip was in hot dry Texas weather, low winds, and highs near 100 deg.  The curbside was shady throughout the days either by trees or the awning.  We were on electric full time, and kept the AC running.  Trailer was very level.  The fridge had been pre-chilled at home to 33 deg, the food was pre-chilled and loading was not too heavy and did not obstruct the fins (a lesson from a previous trip), and we were running it on a setting of 7 initially, later upped to 9.  The fridge really struggled to keep temps below 45 deg, and spent a lot of time in the upper 40s, and this was even when keeping the door closed virtually all day.  (I have a SensorPush remote thermometer - wonderful gadget!).  On a prior trip with outdoor temps more like 70s-80s, we had mistakenly set the temp too warm at the start of the trip, but it never could recover cold temps.  So, I'm not sure if the Norcold is just more of a Notcold by design, or if there is something I'm missing, or if this is a service call.  Any suggestions out there?  

2016 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Max Tow | 2022 Oliver Elite II - Hull#1034 'Hullabaloo' 

Although I do not have a Norcold, with my refig it cools down faster when running on propane.

• Like 8

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

I did notice on our last trip (boondocked...propane only) that I needed to adjust the temperature setting throughout the day, depending on ambient temp.  I have a SensorPush as well, so I could tell whether I needed to make it colder or warmer. It was annoying, but I never had to push it above setting 6, except when my husband put a bottle of white wine in to "chill".  SMH.  Temps were in the high 80s or low 90s for a few days, and the camper was in direct sun.  I would call Oliver and see what they have to say.

• Like 3

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

• Moderators

Camping in the 100 degree weather is tough on you, and the fridge, and the ac.

Does your manual show you how to adjust the thermistor?, (that thingy that slides on a fin, and tells the fridge how cold it is, and when to turn on?) in our old 2008 norcold, we could slide it up or down to adjust the sensing. I don't know about the new ones. It's also possible that the thermistor is bad (though unlikely,  in such a new trailer.)

I'd add a clip on fan to the outside vent, set up to exhaust, and see if I could increase the exhaust flow. A small battery operated fan inside the fridge could move cold air around better, as well. 

Are you running the fridge on gas, or electric? Gas is most efficient,  as @dewdev noted. I know it seems counter intuitive,  but the flame works way better at "absorbing" heat than 120 electric. 12v is dismal.

• Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Hi Steve and Cindy,

A couple of things I've noticed on our Norcold, when it starts struggling I check to see if there is any ice build on the fins below the freezer.  If so, you'll need to defrost.  Another thing that helps us is to remove the top outside vent grill to help exhaust the heat.   Our fan runs a lot of the time but when you get in the mid to upper 90's it can get overwhelmed with the heat build up on the top of the fridge, so removing the grill for a while helps us out.  We have the same problem when it gets to 100...the fridge will be in the very low 40's range.

Good luck :classic_smile:

John

• Like 4

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

• Moderators

And, just in case, open a service ticket, with lots of detail. 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We also use a refrigerator fan and always use propane for the best efficiency.  We also use a fridge thermometer and adjust accordingly.  For instance, setting the fridge to level '6' gives a different performance when we're on the Oregon coast versus the high dessert.  I check temps daily because I don't like frozen romaine lettuce 🤣

• Like 2

Steph and Steve Kimball

2019 Oliver Elite II ~ Twin

Hull No. 463

• Moderators

I've had one of THESE fridge thermometers for a number of years.

I found that it really didn't take long to learn to ignore the old style thermometer - it simply became part of the general landscape.  Unless there was a problem and by then it was usually too late.

With the "system" above you can set both high and low temps and the readout unit will give you an audible warning when the sensors have recorded any temp outside the range that you set.  It is this audible warning that catches my attention and I don't have to be worried trying to remember to actually look at it.

Bill

• Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

I like the idea of the  better thermometers,,but I still only have two old school choices. An indoor/outdoor weather thermometers🌡,  and a restaurant supply analog hanging thermometer,  inside.

I try to limit openening the door. Put everything in its normal place, so I'm not "hunting" with the door open. Light stuff on the door. Anything heavy, near the hinge.  Check the seal with the dollar bill test.

I check temps frequently. 

Caveat. We never camp in 100 plus drgree weather, by design.  Not my idea of camping. I  hate heat.

My motto: trailer and TV have wheels. For a reason. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from a trip in central Texas where it was 100* 3 days in a row.  Fridge had been pre cooled to mid 30s when we left.  Got to campground and temp had increased to 50s!  We took the covers off the outside vents, placed a fan in front and deployed the awning.  Not a lot of help so I made ice with our portable ice maker, put the ice in a bowl and put on top shelf of fridge.  This helped the most. Next time we go camp in hot conditions I will put a big blue fake ice block in the fridge.  And no we are not particularly crazy for camping in hot weather-we very recently got our Ollie so still excited about being able to use it no matter the weather.

• Moderators

@Kathy Tewart, at the campground,  were you running the norcold on gas or electric? Did you run the fridge on dc or gas on the way to the campground ?

Gas is usually more efficient and effective.

The ice trick was a nice idea. If you're only camping for three days, you might try loading in a frozen gallon jug, 3/4 full of water, as well. 

I have very little experience camping in 100+ weather. 

Also, check your thermistor. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

The dc run is truly the weakest link. Very poor efficiency on dc in hot weather. 

The frozen jugs will help stabilize temps. I used to use them to help cool down the fridge in 90 degree ambient temp, when we had a three way.

I'm assuming you're not actually traveling that far for three day trips.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I don't see where anyone mentioned filling the frige too full as to not allow the air to circulate well within.

Charlie.

• Like 1

ALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMA

Arizona | 2020 Oliver Elite II Twin bed Hull #617 | 2021 Ram 1500 e-Hemi 4x4