General question about 3M 4200 vs. 4000 and VHB tape

AlbertNTerri

I see the use of 3M 4200 and VHB tape recommended in many of the posts. Reading up on the stuff I found there is also 3M 4000 and 5200. Can someone suggest when it would be better to use the 4200 verses the VHB tape, if there is a particular VHB tape to use (there seems to be multiple variations to choose from) and why the 3M 4200 instead of the 4000 or 5200. My reading makes me think the 5200 is for a more permanent bond whereas the 4000 and 4200 are for things that you may want to remove some time in the future. Am I thinking about this correctly? Not sure when the tape would be used instead of the other products. 

Thanks All!!

albert

spacer.png

Albert & Terri Sterns

Paonia, Colorado

Elite II Hull #1125 Standard Floorplan / 2017 Ford F250 gas

I do not know the answer on these tapes, but it probably has something to do with indoor/outdoor use, UV rating, etc. A quick look online should answer your question, plus maybe some reviews on each. 

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/477198-3m-4000-vs-4200-a.html

5200 is forever, with a very tenacious grip and quite difficult to remove. Think joining the deck of a boat to the hull. Or the top half of an Ollie to the bottom. (I don’t know what they use but this would be a great choice.)

4200 is similar, but with less grip and easier to remove, not UV (sunlight) resistant. Good for below the waterline hardware in a boat.

Fast Cure 4000 UV is my go to sealant for exterior parts like windows or roof vents, where the 4200 would not be appropriate. It holds up well in sunlight and does not yellow.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Marine-Adhesive-Sealant-4000UV/dp/B0000AY0ND/ref=asc_df_B0000AY0ND/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193131231816&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10666757639209084638&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033787&hvtargid=pla-340533059924&psc=1

All have adhesive properties but IMHO they should always be used along with mechanical fasteners or tape.

3M VHB is used when there are no screws or rivets, for example you want to attach something inside the cabin where you don’t want to drill holes. When used outside it should always have sealant applied around the joint to prevent water intrusion, and for better appearance. Even if there are no penetrating holes, you want to keep all water out so it can’t freeze and harm the bond.

IMHO! In reality any good quality  (name brand) white marine grade silicone sealant is OK for outside stuff.

FYI all have expiration dates, you can sometimes cheat on that, but don’t be shocked if your recently opened tube of 4200 is rock hard the next time you use it. Write down when you bought or opened the product ON the product. Read and follow the instructions! Some solvents can’t be used because they might affect the cure.

I have some long expired VHB tape that I will continue to use, but I always test a small piece before committing to using the rest. If I had a really critical application for the tape, I would use brand new product, just to be safe.

Look at this thread for how to use VHB tape and sealant for a professional looking result.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2082-how-to-install-a-big-bubble-level-no-drilling/

Does this help?

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 3
  • Like 4

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John, so looking at the 3M website comparing different VHB tapes, it asks for the surfaces being bonded. It doesn't offer fiberglass or gelcoat, but does list composite, MSE plastic, coated glass and others. I looked for bonding composite (thinking gelcoat) to plastic and composite to bare metal. in both cases LSE-110WF and  VHB tape 5952 came up as "suggested products". I assume the W means white. Do you think using composite is appropriate when what I really want is gelcoat?

spacer.png

Albert & Terri Sterns

Paonia, Colorado

Elite II Hull #1125 Standard Floorplan / 2017 Ford F250 gas

7 hours ago, albert60 said:

John, so looking at the 3M website comparing different VHB tapes, it asks for the surfaces being bonded. It doesn't offer fiberglass or gelcoat, but does list composite, MSE plastic, coated glass and others. I looked for bonding composite (thinking gelcoat) to plastic and composite to bare metal. in both cases LSE-110WF and  VHB tape 5952 came up as "suggested products". I assume the W means white. Do you think using composite is appropriate when what I really want is gelcoat?

Gelcoat is basically plastic resin, the same material as the resin used to bond the fiberglass cloth, but with pigment. Which is also called GRP or Glass Reinforced Plastic. So any tape used on plastic or smooth surfaces is fine. I am not familiar with the first one, but 5952 is easy to find in different lengths and widths. You can cut it lengthwise but it is tricky because it sticks so darned hard to scissors or a blade. If you want some for general use the 1/2” width is probably a good choice. You can always use two strips to make it wider. Make sure you are getting 3M and not some knockoff VHB. And be aware of the load rating, if you have a heavy object it won’t work, for example a regular fire extinguisher… but it is great for an Element E50 one, or an inReach charging dock.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.