Covered storage, AGM batteries & Zamp controller.

We picked up our LE-2 (#1071) back in April.  We currently keep it at an outdoor storage facility.  The sun beats down on our solar panels, keeping the AGM batteries fully charged.  A spot just came up for covered storage.  It’s basically an open pole barn with a 14-foot ceiling so there is some daylight—more like shade. There are no 110-volt outlets at the storage facility so we can’t hook up a trickle charger.

1.  Given that our Ollie will be under cover three weeks out of the month, should I disconnect the batteries?

2.  Will I need to boot up and program the Zamp solar controller every time the batteries are disconnected?

Keith & Jill Burnett | 2022 LE2  #1071 | 2021 Toyota Tundra

Atlanta GA

“Covered storage” yay! This sounds like a perfect scenario for a 50 to 100 watt portable panel for maintaining the AGMs as a trickle charger. You might need to secure the panel with a cable lock. Or ask the owner if you can permanently mount a bracket on a nearby roof support.

John Davies

Spokane WA

5D6E7C16-58C6-4E36-9D4C-2ACA0B36A3BD.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I have a similar circumstance.

1) If the inverter is turned off (and everything else except the solar), can I expect the batteries to maintain, and if not, how long before I'm in trouble.

2) If I connect to 110 power via an adapter, will the batteries charge?

Thanking you in advance.

Dave & Terri Mazone

2022 LII Hull #1019

TV: 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD diesel, Crew Cab (4WD)

Assuming you have AGM batteries:

1. I do not believe so as there are other equipment that uses 12V power that will drain the batteries.

2. The charger will work when connected to 110V power.

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

9 hours ago, dewdev said:

Assuming you have AGM batteries:

1. I do not believe so as there are other equipment that uses 12V power that will drain the batteries.

2. The charger will work when connected to 110V power.

Thank you.

Dave & Terri Mazone

2022 LII Hull #1019

TV: 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD diesel, Crew Cab (4WD)

On 6/21/2022 at 4:12 PM, Keith-n-Jill said:

Given that our Ollie will be under cover three weeks out of the month, should I disconnect the batteries?

I have a similar pole barn  storage situation, it is heavily shaded, no direct sunlight.  Despite this, my panels get a charge during daylight.  In your situation, it might be enough to keep your batteries charged up.  Given that it’s only a 3 week period of storage, perhaps you could not bother to disconnect batteries and check on it periodically to see if it’s doing ok?  If you have a generator, you could charge up the batteries in a pinch.   As a future mod, you may want to install a battery disconnect switch.   Several posts on alternative  ways to do this in this forum. 

On 6/21/2022 at 4:12 PM, Keith-n-Jill said:

Will I need to boot up and program the Zamp solar controller every time the batteries are disconnected?

Your Zamp controller does not require this.  It will boot itself up quickly and work fine as soon as it gets sunshine. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250