Stove Keeps Going Out

Has anyone else had issue with the large burner on the stove not staying on? We have a problem where the safety cut off on the larger burner cuts the gas after a couple of minutes and won't reset. The issue does not occur on the small burner.

I have tried to troubleshoot this in the past, but when we are at home the thing keeps burning non-stop. This got me thinking, we seem to have trouble when in mountainous terrain, so I thought altitude may have something to do with it. It appears that the problem occurs at somewhere around 4,000 feet and above.

Am I nuts,or has this happened to any of you full timers?

Afraid it hasn't happened to us, and we've frequently stayed at high altitudes without problem. Are there any settings on the flow rate of propane that might need to be tweaked? Maybe at higher altitudes you're just not getting quite enough propane flow to keep it light? (I'm totally guessing here).

Our problem with the stove is that the ignitor has never worked, but we just use a lighter to get around that. Oh, and that it doesn't have an auto cleaner :D.

- Cherie

Don't believe there are any adjustment that can be made.

We also had the same trouble with the ignitors. You have to hold the burner knob in for about 10 seconds then press the ignitor. Sometimes results in a bit of a puff start, so we also use the handle held starter.

• Moderators

I've been told that propane mixes are different in different areas. We've not had problems with the stove at 3500 feet, but have had the water heater give us fits getting started... Maybe you could try local propane fill if you're camping in a different area?

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

:( DO NOT use exchange propane bottles. You don't know if your local meth maker was the last to use it and for what reason :o Try to buy your propane at the highest altitude possible. The lower the altitude, possibly (this disclaimer is so I don't get sued :evil: )the more butane. Butane is cheaper :o .Ok for the local charcoal grille but heat at 7,000 ft???? The best and safest place to fill your propane bottles is at a local propane dealer who fills HOME tanks.They won't be in business long if poor quality propane lets their local customers get cold a few nites!

And yes, our back burner didn't lite all the time either. Usually lit manually, though.

I may have found the problem. I removed the stove and the safety shut off sensor line for the larger burner was pretty much sitting agianst the bottom of the stove for about three inches. My theory is that this was allowing the sensor fead to disappate enought head to make it think the flame went out. I'm now thinking the issue was more temperature related than altitude. Won't bea ble to know for sure until winter or next mountain trip.