Bathroom vanity towel holder caulking alternative

Anyone found an alternative to using caulk to seal the bathroom vanity towel holder?   Re-caulking after any time it’s removed for maintenance seems tedious.  Anyone found a suitable gasket idea instead that looks good?  I just had the towel holder off to do some work under the sink, and I did re-caulk it when done.   I considered using a piece of the EZ gutter above it to divert water but I don’t think that would look good in the bathroom.  Any other ideas instead of caulking it?

D06452AF-6F0A-4D56-A795-780E69CCDF00.jpeg

It’s 99% cosmetic, just leave it off, a tiny amount of water in there isn’t going to hurt anything.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 4

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

There are at least a couple of owners that have replaced the original with a porthole style access hatch.  Hopefully they will chime in here.

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

21 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

There are at least a couple of owners that have replaced the original with a porthole style access hatch.  Hopefully they will chime in here.

Bill

Yeah, I’m considering changing it to a waterproof marine hatch like this to make maintenance access really quick and easy, but I hate to lose that little bit of storage in the towel holder.  We actually do use that for shampoo bottles, etc. 

Amarine Made Marine Deck Hatch Boat Deck Hatch Access Hatch & Lid 17-1/4"x12-3/8 - White

https://a.co/d/8eKRLVS

3604CFFB-F7AA-403C-A11F-8855966464CB.jpeg

• Like 3

I have never actually removed my towel holder. I use it for hand sanitizer and a vinegar spray bottle for the Natures Head..

Put a large round access panel in the closet inner wall, low enough down that you can see and reach under the sink. It won’t be great, you can only get one arm in, but it is better than not knowing at all. I have one there. Mine is 6”, factory installed back when they did custom stuff. An 8” would be better, especially if you have big forearms. Measure carefully to make sure it would fit.

X-Haibei Round Boat Non Slip Inspection Hatch White Plastic Deck Plate with Detachable Cover, Anti-Aging,Anti-UV, Marine Accessories (Inside Diameter 8 inch)

You could go bigger there, but IMHO if you do have a problem you will end up removing the towel holder for proper access anyway. So “one arm” is enough. I wouldn’t like to do any serious repair while lying awkwardly inside the closet. 😬

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Frank, you may want to search the forum for one of NCEagle's mods.  He replaced his shampoo holder with either the same thing you're considering or something very close to it.  I think he was really happy to gain easy access to the plumbing and, cosmetically, it came out really nice.

In terms of losing holders, we have had good luck with Tooletries products.  No adhesive needed and they stick really well to the fiberglass.  They even have a product called "The Frank"!   Good luck!

https://tooletries.com/collections/shower-caddy/products/the-frank-shower-caddy-1

• Like 3

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR

How do the Toiletries items look after a few years?I know they are removable/ washable. Do they start to look scruffy in any way? Hard water or soap scum spots, discoloring, fraying around the edges where stuff rubs against them?

Most importantly will one stay in place with a heavy bottle or two while towing, or will a big pothole result in a mess on the floor?

I am trying hard to like them but they are just a little too weird, unattractive and way too black for an Ollie white interior.,. But they do make an “Oliver” model.

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

We don’t use that space at all for storage - things pop out the minute you hit the road. Here’s our solution. Shampoo/soap, conditioner, lotion and sunscreen. All at the ready FE79C395-9136-4ECF-BBB9-086BA367D45A.thumb.jpeg.6abf370111a7f7c545af1f0c4aab3419.jpeg

• Like 6

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

• Moderators
1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

Most importantly will one stay in place with a heavy bottle or two while towing, or will a big pothole result in a mess on the floor?

FrankC, the above link will also take you to the post Connor77 referred you to by NCeagle.
Mossey

• Like 3

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

12 minutes ago, VBistro said:

FE79C395-9136-4ECF-BBB9-086BA367D45A.thumb.jpeg.6abf370111a7f7c545af1f0c4aab3419.jpeg

Don't those drip all over the floor? Hard to clean? Can you post a link?

John Davies

Spokane WA

8 hours ago, FrankC said:

Anyone found an alternative to using caulk to seal the bathroom vanity towel holder?   Re-caulking after any time it’s removed for maintenance seems tedious.  Anyone found a suitable gasket idea instead that looks good?  I just had the towel holder off to do some work under the sink, and I did re-caulk it when done.   I considered using a piece of the EZ gutter above it to divert water but I don’t think that would look good in the bathroom.  Any other ideas instead of caulking it?

D06452AF-6F0A-4D56-A795-780E69CCDF00.jpeg

I have the exact same question for the same reason. My initial plan was to put a piece of white electrical tape over anything that looks questionable to prevent water entry until I get a more permanent solution in place but after reading John's post I may try spraying water on it and see just how much infiltration occurs. I have been looking into making some sort of gasket that will look good and make it easy to still get access the under sink area as needed. In the meantime I've ordered 4 more of the screw caps and associated collars from OTT in anticipation after applying a gasket, to properly seat the panel on the top and bottom I'll have 8 hold-down points (2 on each side). The other thing I was considering was putting on some sort of twist-to-open gizmo similar to what is holding the outside fridge vent covers on.

John, I hope you're right (As usual) and all I have to do is close it up. I think I'll install the hatch through the closet in any event since it will be easier to access for something as simple as uncrimping the shower hose until I have time to install a dedicated shower as has been discussed in other posts

I'll keep you posted as I move forward.

albert

• Like 2

spacer.png

Albert & Terri Sterns

Paonia, Colorado

Elite II Hull #1125 Standard Floorplan / 2017 Ford F250 gas

• Moderators
1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

How do the Toiletries items look after a few years?I know they are removable/ washable. Do they start to look scruffy in any way? Hard water or soap scum spots, discoloring, fraying around the edges where stuff rubs against them?

Tooletries

I think I have 5 white ones and 4 grey ones and 2 black hooks.  The white show a little dirt but it usually washes off.  No dirt on the gray or black ones.  No tears, fraying or hard water, soap scum spots or discoloring.

Ask your wife if she has any silicone hot pads or maybe a dish drying mat.  If so, she’ll vouch for how tough they are.  If she doesn’t have any silicone kitchen products, maybe you can kick the tires with silicone hot pad at the nearest kitchen gadget store.  They are very robust.

Mossey

• Like 4

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

After a bit of searching I did find this white silicone edge U seal trim.  I’m going to order this and give it a try to replace the caulking the next time I remove the towel holder.  This should fit on the edge all around the perimeter of the molded plastic towel holder.

uxcell Edge Trim U Seal Extrusion, Silicone White U Channel Edge Protector Sheet Fits 0.5-2.5mm Edge 3Meters/9.84Ft Length

https://a.co/d/4ebKfcQ

• Like 5

• Moderators

@FrankC, I'll look forward to seeing your results. The silicon might be a lot easier to clean than the caulk.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Please update us on how well it fits, if it stays on and if it seals. It looks like it may also be a good candidate for covering any "sharp" edges on the storage and cabinet openings. 

albert

spacer.png

Albert & Terri Sterns

Paonia, Colorado

Elite II Hull #1125 Standard Floorplan / 2017 Ford F250 gas

On 6/26/2022 at 8:59 PM, John E Davies said:

Don't those drip all over the floor? Hard to clean? Can you post a link?

John Davies

Spokane WA

We have taken them on 3 trips so far, including one with about 10 miles of forest service road.  Lids didn't pop off, containers stayed put, and I haven't noticed any drips.  The only issue we do have is that my soap of choice (castille) can get a little cloggy if it sits for a while.  You just scrape off the "scab" and make sure to "cup" the outlet in case any remaining crust causes the soap to spurt out to the side.  Worth the convenience factor in my book.

https://a.co/7DbYhtl

mb

• Like 1

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg