Successful dry-camping but Grounded by axles

After a successful dry-camping trip to our favorite CT state park, where Eggcelsior performed above expectations (more about that in a minute) or new Ollie is grounded pending repairs. We got a phone call from Jason yesterday informing us that Dexter made a batch of bad axles in the last few months and that Dexter would be calling us Tuesday to arrange repairs. 

Only 12 new Ollies were built with this batch of NevRLube axles, so this is a very limited problem. I assume Jason has already called all the affected owners. Unfortunately, we're one of them. I have learned that this has been a bigger problem with Airstreams. According to an Airstream forum, several brand-new Airstreams had their wheels fall off while driving and Airstream suspended all deliveries while Dexter investigated. The issue has something to do with a faulty washer in the bearing assemblies and Dexter is sending new washers and arranging either service at a service center or a mobile tech to do the work. So, for now Eggcelsior sits at home. At least we got it here with all the wheels attached. 

On a brighter note, Eggcelsior did great at the state park. We were there for 4 nights/ 5 days. The holding tanks were plenty big enough. When we left, Fresh was at 38%, Grey was at 38%, and Black was at 31%. That was with us using the campground bathrooms during the day and only taking one shower each in the Ollie. As for power, we had a hard time even making a dent in the Lithium Platinum package. We'd watch TV, run a coffee maker, toaster oven, and hair dryer in the morning and only drop a few percent. With sunny days, we were back at 100% by mid-afternoon. Based on this trip, I figure we can stay at least 8 nights in a park with bathrooms without dumping. 

PXL_20220628_155431608.thumb.jpg.28eaf3439214113406b3f85099aef0c7.jpg

PXL_20220628_010626369.thumb.jpg.5a24460b5d3e65243fa5a581a34ed70a.jpg

Now we wait to see what Dexter has to say and what it will do to our upcoming summer travel plans. 🤔

• Thanks 1
  • Like 9

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

• Moderators

On a positive note, it’s great that both Dexter and Oliver are being proactive about the issue.  I know you waited a long time to pickup the Eggcelsior and now you have to wait a little longer to use as you would like to,bummer.

Mossey

• Like 6

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators

Amazing what these "little" trailers can do!

Sorry to hear about the axles.  Hopefully "they" will get the situation taken care of soon so that you can get back to testing the limits.

Nice pics!  I didn't realize that Clam made a "red" one - thought that green and brown were the only colors even though they do make ice shelters in a number of colors.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

It looks beautiful there! Good luck on the repair, hopefully they will get it done quickly. 
Kirk

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

Now we wait to see what Dexter has to say and what it will do to our upcoming summer travel plans. 🤔

Glad you've made it this far without incident,  and I certainly hope Dexter is quick in response. 

Your evening campsite photo is calendar worthy, imo. Looks so tranquil. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

5 hours ago, topgun2 said:

I didn't realize that Clam made a "red" one

The red (or blue) one is the Escape Sport model. Their website isn't really clear on the differences between models, but the Sport has the rain flaps for the add-on panels and the upper screen windows zip completely open for better airflow on hot days. We like the white roof for hot days, too.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

UPDATE: OTT connected me to Dexter and Dexter was excellent to work with. The problem was the NevrLube spindle washers. A batch of them were not heat treated properly and were brittle, which can lead to total bearing failure and wheel loss. Dexter overnighted new washers to me and I found a mobile tech to come out today (http://certifiedonsiterv.com/ if you need service in central CT). Eric, the tech, was excellent and made quick work of the repair. (Our washers looked fine. No damage done.) Ready for the next trip! 😃

• Like 4

• Moderators

So glad to hear it! 

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.