Winegard G2 dome

Sofaman

I don’t understand your last sentence…..It’s a directional satellite dish shaped TV antenna, that is all it can do. Has it ever worked correctly? Has it been setup properly? Does it have a clear view of the sky, no trees? Is the trailer level? Sure it can be removed, but it is going to leave some holes that will have to be sealed properly. You could put a regular tv antenna or a cellular antenna in that location, but getting the new cables run to the rear of the cabin will be a challenge. I personally would just disconnect the G2 inside and leave the antenna in place for a future owner to never use 😬 …. I don’t understood why Oliver chose to put it in the roof, the current sat antenna option is portable with a tripod, so you can position it where it will see the sky properly. I guess they finally figured out that a fixed roof mount on a travel trailer was just silly….. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

50EA2AEF-4387-4324-878F-0F2CEF842545.jpeg

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Sofaman said:

If you don’t want Dish or Direct TV is the device good for anything? Can it be altered for local TV? Has anyone removed a G2? Every time #266 is plugged in the G2 is frantically trying to phone home.

It’s only good for satellite TV.  Nothing else.

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

A huge Kingdome gen 1 came with our 2008. It was pretty much useless. (Rarely camp with 110, didn't have dish service after a few months. And never worked well, anyway.)

We had a switch to turn it off, plus it plugged into an outlet in the attic. We unplugged it. (Otherwise, as you noted, it would try to scan for signal, and make crazy noises, if we were plugged in.)

We removed the old nonfunctional dome several years ago, as it was old and the dome had a few cracks. And, it was just a waste of space.  Taped over the wires and flat mounting brackets  with eternabond, so we could (ostensibly) get in and pull the wires  through to run a TV  antenna wire, someday,  if we wanted to. We were pleasantly surprised that there was just a small hole for the wire run,  when I downloaded the install manual...

Watching TV isn't our gig, so, no urgency. If the same is true for you, and nothing is leaking,  follow John's advice, and disconnect it, or just remove it, as we did,  if you feel like getting on a ladder, and are in the mood. We were working on other things at the time, so seemed like a good time to clean up the roof.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.