The upcoming A/C wars

ScottyGS

For a while now I have been wondering how Dometic was going to answer Truma's debut into the American RV market.   This may be their answer.   

The RTX 2000.   They say it's quiet.  In this video they only run it on high but it's not installed so you hear noise from above and below.  (outside and inside if it was installed) 

It will be interesting to see what becomes of this.  Maybe at the least people have another choice to consider for upgrade.  

• Like 3

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

In my experience with anything Dometic - they need competition. Would be my last choice in all cases. But perhaps they have upped their game, I doubt it.

RB

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

1 hour ago, BackofBeyond said:

anything Dometic - they need competition.

I agree RB. With competition I believe they can make some good products, it’s just a shame they don’t do it on their own accord. We have a larger ARB Element fridge that we love. We bought a smaller Dometic fridge/freezer to use primarily as a freezer on longer trips. We have had it 3 year, so far it has worked perfectly. It’s hard to imagine why it took so long to work on their AC. The complaints (as well as their air conditioner) have been deafening.

Kirk

• Like 4

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

• Moderators

That unit has been around awhile as a no-idle truck cooler, at least in other countries. It's only 6800 btu. But, it's 12v, low wattage, so ... runs on battery. Variable speed compressor. Pretty pricey, for 6800 btu. And, unlike rv acs, it's wider than it is long. Would def not work with my sidemount solar panel configuration. 

I'd say, probably should keep at least the bed area cool, if you put up a curtain on an expansion rod. Lots of van life youtubes out there to watch from the past year.

I don't know why dometic doesn't bring in some of their higher capacity variable speed compressor/inverter technology rv products that they sell in the UK, Europe, and Australia. Those,  like the ibis 4,  are real competition for the truma, and very efficient. 

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.