Shiny (and heavy) Stainless Steel 6” Round Deck Hatch

Just in case anyone wants to upgrade the 6” round plastic deck hatch on the propane tank “dog house” to something more substantial (and expensive!).  There are stainless steel marine versions available that would be a lot more durable.  Nice and shiny too!  (Heavier than the plastic one though.  Hate to add weight to a trailer).

My plastic one is still looking pretty good even after a few years exposed to the elements though, so I’m sticking with it.  Who else wants to be first to try one of these?  Make your Ollie look even more like a high end yacht! 🙂

DYRABREST 6 inch Deck Plate Inspection Hatch Cover Stainless Steel Boat Marine Out Deck Plate Inspection Access Hatch Cover https://a.co/d/eYX82IM

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Shiny (and heavy) Stainless Steel 6” Round Deck Hatch
  • Moderators

My 6" inspection hatch in the propane tank housing is really discolored and this hatch would certainly be an upgrade.  Maybe after I win a lottery!

Mossey

• Like 4

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

I just took the cover off and unscrewed the screw ring, sanded them with 180 grit sand paper, painted then with an outdoor white spray paint for plastics, cost $4.78 for the paint and still have 4/5 of the can left for future use. So I have about a dollar in the restoration and it turned out perfect, it's been one year since it was redone. 

trainman

• Like 7

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

19 minutes ago, mossemi said:

My 6" inspection hatch in the propane tank housing is really discolored and this hatch would certainly be an upgrade.  Maybe after I win a lottery!

Mossey

$13 for for the newer hatch that Oliver Service sold me. I prefer it over the threaded hatch. 

EB27DABA-4AFE-4D31-8118-10C65F0DECD4.png

• Like 6

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators
4 hours ago, FrankC said:

(Heavier than the plastic one though.  Hate to add weight to a trailer).

Indeed. I was thinking about trying to handle that ss deck plate, mounted vertically , in the rain, and all I could think about was how much it would hurt if it slipped and fell on my foot, at over two pounds. Ouch.

I think I'd stay with plastic or composite. Plenty of available choices. White blends better with the doghouse, especially since the off center installation would bother me, visually, in stainless. 

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

4 hours ago, FrankC said:

Is the new one hinged instead of threaded? 

I insert the lid into the hatch housing turn it and it clicks and it’s secured. Not sure if you call that a hinged? I really like the ease of use vs the threading version.

• Like 7

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

Just now, Patriot said:

I insert the lid into the hatch housing turn it and it clicks and it’s secured. Not sure if you call that a hinge. 

Ah, nice!  Just a quarter turn type catch to retain the lid.  Definitely more convenient than the full threaded type I have.  

• Like 5

If you find it hard to thread the cover back on, use a little lube on the threads, Vaseline, WD-40, lite weight oil, doesn't take very much, less is probably better them too much.

trainman

• Like 5

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• 1 year later...
On 7/6/2022 at 10:20 AM, SeaDawg said:

White blends better with the doghouse, especially since the off center installation would bother me, visually, in stainless. 

Darn it Sherry, I had not ever noticed the off center.  Now that's all I see!  DRATS!  🙂

GJ

• Haha 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

Our Dog House cap was getting a bit "gritty" and difficult to thread - so we swapped it with one of the "fresh" caps in the overheads, cleaned the threads on the DH side then lubed the cap w/a touch of Vaseline and attached the stainless steel lanyard (so as not to leave it adrift).  All good again!

• Like 2

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX