Does Oliver have a 2” ALUMINUM receiver that can replace the 1.25 receiver for a 2” bicycle rack, on my 2022 Elite II?

On 7/11/2022 at 7:03 PM, Steph and Dud B said:

Wow, good catch! I've never seen that before.

I’ve been using that rack for a few years on my Casita and now Oliver. No issues, but rarely loaded beyond 30-60 lbs. 

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

• Moderator+
On 7/20/2022 at 12:02 PM, snakeriveridaho said:

I totally agree. OTT needs to put a good 2 inch receiver on and then tell the trailer buyers the limitations. A 1.25 hitch is ridiculous. 

This is how the current situation got started. Years ago, Oliver’s sales manager asked me to come up with a design for a bike rack. I did and they built a good 2” rack that could handle any two bikes. They informed all buyers of the rack its weight limitations and even had a sticker stating that information proudly displayed on each rack. 

Oliver built a bunch of these units with my design but ultimately changed it to the current rack first with a 2” receiver then moving down to a 1-1/4” receiver due to “the incident.”

Much like the general population, there are a few owners that don’t necessarily read and follow directions. One owner didn’t. He bought one of the racks with the 2” receiver and, although I don’t know exactly what happened, I can imagine him installing one of those flat racks you see hanging off the tail end of a vehicle. He probably loaded a cooler of ice and beer on one end and a plastic tote of whatever beside it, put a coupe of bungees around it and called it good. 

Somewhere along his way everything proceeds to turn to shite. He complains to Oliver that his expensive rack didn’t meet his expectations, they wonder how it failed if it hadn’t been overloaded, he swears it couldn’t have been, one thing leads to another and here we are…

I’ll be happy to share my design with anyone. Although I don’t carry bikes on it, I’ve used it on the rear of our Hull #050 many times carrying upwards of 200 pounds. I’ve never had an issue with it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 8

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

2 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

I’ll be happy to share my design with anyone.

Thanks for that information ScubaRx. I would love to see your design. I definitely want to have a 2 inch receiver. I app your post! 
Kirk

• Like 2

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

I would like to say here that Oliver will probably not be much help on a 2" receiver as there hitch 1 1/4" was designed for certain amount of weight and going to a 2" receiver is going to let owners overload there designed hitch assembly. Plus I see in many of the pics that many extend there assembly by some two plus feet beyond the hitch assembly, I would think this would put much more stress on the assembly then Oliver designed it for. I see no problem with a 2" receiver, but you still have to control your weight and what you are doing.

trainman

• Like 3

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

10 minutes ago, Trainman said:

2" receiver as there hitch 1 1/4" was designed for certain amount of weight and going to a 2" receiver is going to let owners overload there designed hitch as

Hi Trainman,

I thought the hitch was originally designed for a two inch receiver and OTT put in an insert to decrease it to one and a quarter. I believe some owners have knocked out the insert and used it as a two inch receiver. Without an extender and with a light load that might be okay. Two of our bike have a combined weight of 31 to 45 pounds. I may want to reinforce the receiver, but I definitely plan on changing to a 2 inch receiver and doing it safely.🙂

Kirk 

• Like 2

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

45 minutes ago, snakeriveridaho said:

some owners have knocked out the insert and used it as a two inch receiver. Without an extender and with a light load that might be okay.

Might be. From an engineering standpoint it is a very bad idea…. The factory design has 0.5” wall thickness. 1/4” wall thickness is inadequate, especially if you install a 1-Up rack which uses an internal steel ball as a rocker stopper. That will eventually wreck the aluminum. If an owner insists on using a knocked out receiver, please, always add a stout cable lock around the bikes and crossbar, in case it all departs unexpectedly. It is easy to bolt on a steel receiver so there are no worries.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 5

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

48 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

From an engineering standpoint it is a very bad idea

Thanks for your reply John. I am planning on using the receiver you mentioned in a previous post and pairing it with a 1-up rack, 

8715F071-895F-4A1E-858C-04C44C4B972B.thumb.jpeg.5b7cdc72a53b2f6a4b17d199cf6bb460.jpeg

• Like 3

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

Hull #1305

On 7/21/2022 at 1:25 PM, Ollietime said:

But wait, there's more...

• Rated for vehicles including motorized RV and off-road use; not approved for trailer use including travel trailers and fifth wheels.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Let-s-Go-AeroBikeWing-2-Two-Bike-Carrier-Rack-p/b01311.htm

this is the rack I use.  On their website they state that it IS rated for read of trailer use, so long as used in a 1.25" receiver and not with the adapter in a 2" receiver.

https://letsgoaero.com/bikewing-2-nextgen-tilting-two-bike-rack/

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

• 3 months later...
On 7/10/2022 at 4:35 PM, ScubaRx said:

Nothing will convert very safely...

Oliver's gonna tell you that, from their standpoint, you should not use anything other than their 1-1/2" receiver.

A major problem with using the stock 1.5" receiver is that all "RV rated" bike racks are made for 2" hitch receivers.  There is no law that I know of that requires using an RV rated unit but, given the potential liabilities, I opted to do something along the lines of what John suggested.  The forces at work on a bike rack, that far behind the closest axle are much higher than on a car or pick up.  To me, the minor expense of stepping up to a rated. unit was worth the piece of mind.

• Like 1

SOLD:  2021 Elite 2, Twin Bed, Lithium & Solar, 3000W Inverter

SOLD:  2022 Ford F150, 3.5L V6 EcoBoost, 4x4 Supercab, Trailer Tow Package

There a number of owners that use the nocked out receiver (including me) with thousands of miles carrying their bicycles. I have yet to read about any failures of using the knocked out receiver. I took it a step further and called and spoke to Oliver Service and was told they have not had any bike rack failures reported. Based on this information and talking with other owners and having 4000 miles using this hitch mod, I am not overly concerned about a failure. With periodic inspections, I have not observed any wear and tear that would cause me to discontinue using the Oliver 2” receiver. Naturally one has to proceed with what one is comfortable and their risk tolerance level is when it comes to securing your bikes. 

We cover our bikes when traveling and our rear Ollie lights are still very visible. We have also added the 1Up license plate bracket holder. We really like the 1Up bike rack with is certified for use on a TT. 

Travel safe and 🚲Bike On! 😊

D4EFE3B8-F809-4B5B-98C7-E58ED10AEA5D.thumb.jpeg.16be3920b7b26b6eb35b06e8dfdc56c5.jpeg

F4A9A2CF-D1AD-44DD-BAB0-6D3DBB2D64AB.thumb.jpeg.4c1a47031a14db8775f80c627c869293.jpeg

• Like 4

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried this MaxxHaul 1-1/4" - 2" Class II Hitch Adapter Model No. 70032? Thinking of getting one of them along with one of their MaxxHaul Aluminum Compact Cargo Carriers. Thoughts?

2022 Legacy Elite II, Hull #961 towed with a 2013 F-150 Platinum SuperCrew with the V6 EcoBoost

Follow us at https://oliverstravels.substack.com/

visited-united-states-map-AL.png.75af7717d1cb452895b9e43f9e88e9c3.png

• Moderators

Other than dealing with the "extra" 6 inches or so that the adapter will add I don't see any reasons why it wouldn't work.

Bill

• Love 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

A reducing hitch adapter also reduces the max cargo load for the rack by 50%. This is a very bad idea on the back of a trailer, but OK on a car if it has plenty of reserve tongue weight capacity. Plus an adapter will add even more slop in your connection.

Also those Maxx Haul carriers are screwed together, do you really think it has a 500 pound capacity? Look for a fully welded rack like a Pakmule or Northbound. It will cost up to ten times as much, for a reason, it won’t fall apart at 60 mph…

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Vic:

From an Engineer's perspective, the ultra long moment arm of the assembly loaded with two heavy E-Bikes gives me concern for even good highway use.  However, with the G-Forces induced by rough roads, and worse if taken off-road, my concern rises to grave. 

Under such conditions, be advised that:

• Due to the moment arm length and heavy load, that it would be prudent to counter balanced (by additional front of trailer loads) to somewhat restore your Ollie's great antisway characteristics somewhat.
  • There is a significant potential for your added hitch, and/or the OTT components supporting it to unexpectently fail.   

I highly recommend your shortening the moment arm to a minimum and reduce the load if possible.  As pictured this design IMHO is an accident looking and waiting for the worst possible opportunity to fail.  

GJ

image.png.32d1ba6fb9defe851afe08f59b10a98d.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

35 minutes ago, Geronimo John said:

Vic:

From an Engineer's perspective, the ultra long moment arm of the assembly loaded with two heavy E-Bikes gives me concern for even good highway use.  However, with the G-Forces induced by rough roads, and worse if taken off-road, my concern rises to grave. 

Under such conditions, be advised that:

• Due to the moment arm length and heavy load, that it would be prudent to counter balanced (by additional front of trailer loads) to somewhat restore your Ollie's great antisway characteristics somewhat.
  • There is a significant potential for your added hitch, and/or the OTT components supporting it to unexpectently fail.   

I highly recommend your shortening the moment arm to a minimum and reduce the load if possible.  As pictured this design IMHO is an accident looking and waiting for the worst possible opportunity to fail.  

GJ

image.png.32d1ba6fb9defe851afe08f59b10a98d.png

I am not an engineer, but your comments make perfect sense and it would seem that it's not a good idea.  We had a bike rack fail.  Lucky for us it was 1/4 mile from home after a 4000+ mile trip.  We were going slow so no damage to cars behind us.  I want an over engineered rack and want to error on the side of caution.

John

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

5 hours ago, John Welte said:

We had a bike rack fail. 

At first when I read your response, I was sad face due to bike damage and trip interruptions.  Then I was happy face when it was close to home and no damage to others property or person. 

What many of us, my self included, lacking was a full understanding how ROUGH the trailer contents inside the trailer in the attic or even on the bed at the aft of Ollie is while traveling.  My eye opener came when I put my paraglider on the bed at back.  I somehow bounced it off there and onto the floor.  And it had been fully wedged in.  When I place it at the front end of the bed, it travels quite nicely.  Further back past the spare tire is true war zone as far as damage to things and stresses forced upon the cargo, tire or bikes back there.

Owners contemplating putting anything back there should take a look at the massive amount of metal that keeps the spare tire in place.  That was not designed by accident.  Our spare tire weighs about the same as an E-bike.  But with two and several feet of lever arm....  Let's just say that it would not have a chance on a trip to Alaska or for that matter just about anywhere off road.    

For grins I Googled Travel Trailer Bike rack Fails and a few others below. From RV Net Forum:   https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27780211/print/true.cfm

Some interesting fails.  That said, I found one solutions that as an engineer I really liked, but for sure would add a couple of gas shocks to take the load off when loading/unloading:  

GJ

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

image.thumb.png.0c142035ac0f3b2e94c15963009582fb.png  image.png.4f012098ebf9a2d8b0f7756f6a2aeb26.png

And to round this out with a video for the youngsters try this one:

GJ

image.png

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

16 hours ago, John Welte said:

I am not an engineer, but your comments make perfect sense and it would seem that it's not a good idea.  We had a bike rack fail.  Lucky for us it was 1/4 mile from home after a 4000+ mile trip.  We were going slow so no damage to cars behind us.  I want an over engineered rack and want to error on the side of caution.

John

@John Welte

Hey John,

Sorry to hear about your bike rack failure what brand bike rack was it? It might be helpful for others to know. Here is the rack we are using and are extremely happy with. It is pricey but I think the best made engineered two bike rack for the Oliver. We and other owners have logged several thousand miles with bikes on this rack with zero issues. Our bikes loaded including the rack itself weigh right at 107# well below the Oliver bike rack limit of 150#.  A plus with the aluminum finish is looks and blends in well with the Oliver rear bumper. As stated in my previous post it will require a mod to the Oliver factory receiver. 

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2in-super-duty-double-bike-rack/

Hope this helps, happy and safe cycling. 

Patriot🇺🇸

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Patriot said:

@John Welte

Hey John,

Sorry to hear about your bike rack failure. Here is the rack we are using and are extremely happy with. It is pricey but I think the best made engineered two bike rack for the Oliver. We and other owners have logged several thousand miles with bikes on this rack with zero issues. Our bikes loaded including the rack itself weigh right at 107# well below the Oliver bike rack limit of 150#.  A plus with the aluminum finish is looks and blends in well with the Oliver rear bumper. As stated in my previous post it will require a mod to the Oliver factory receiver. 

Patriot🇺🇸

Wow, just checked out the 1up bike racks. Those are well engineered and well made. I'm really just as impressed with their web site and the functions they provide for 2D and 3D viewing. They're pulling at my heart strings! As a CAD draftsman this stuff is in my wheel house. We still have folks at great companies here in America that can design and produce the very best products. 

This is the way we will be going with a bike rack. With that being said, I'm fully in the camp of less is better on the back bumper of the Oliver. We have two very light Specialized Expedition city bikes. We should be less than 120 pounds including the rack. Thanks for sharing David!🍻

• Like 3

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

• Moderators

Several years ago, I visited a fabricator Talmage, NM and he created a strong 2" aluminum receiver for my eBike.  Rob designed and created an elegant hitch which allows enough space for the bumper to fold down, with significant structural hardening where it fastens to The Wonder Egg's frame. It holds the 1UP rack close enough to eliminate a large armature and far enough to keep the bike off the trailer.  Was it expensive?  Yes, and in this instance I got what I paid for and am very pleased. 

This was a number of years ago.  You could contact Rob at 8 0 one, six 3 three, 4 two seven 7 and see if he still offers this service and inquire about current pricing.  He is often away from the shop on jobs, so scheduling the job ahead of time is important. 

image.thumb.jpeg.a1cebf809d053ef961b5554da2335d0e.jpeg

• Like 7

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

1 hour ago, Patriot said:

@John Welte

Hey John,

Sorry to hear about your bike rack failure what brand bike rack was it? It might be helpful for others to know. Here is the rack we are using and are extremely happy with. It is pricey but I think the best made engineered two bike rack for the Oliver. We and other owners have logged several thousand miles with bikes on this rack with zero issues. Our bikes loaded including the rack itself weigh right at 107# well below the Oliver bike rack limit of 150#.  A plus with the aluminum finish is looks and blends in well with the Oliver rear bumper. As stated in my previous post it will require a mod to the Oliver factory receiver. 

Patriot🇺🇸

"Sorry to hear about your bike rack failure what brand bike rack was it?"

Patriot, it was a hitch bike rack between our tent trailer and our tv.  It was made in Portland, Oregon.  The failure happened because they forgot to finish welding the rack!  It had 1/2 welds and 1/2 tack welds if I remember right.  Never having seen how it was supposed to look like, I trusted it was done right.  I was just lucky that it failed so close to home and not at freeway speeds.  Thanks for the info on the rack.  I have the Oliver bike mount but haven't bought the rack yet.

John

• Like 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

Many years ago when the kids (now grown-ups) were small, we found ourselves coming home early from a long weekend camping trip after waking up to surprise heavy snow conditions in the Rockies.  We were about 30 minutes on the road after departing our campsite and turned into a country store for some road snacks for the kiddos.  As I'm walking back from the store to our rig parked some distance away, I immediately notice - NO BIKES NO BIKE RACK!  #@%* me, so I inform the family that we're headed back to collect our errant kit.  4 or 5 miles back up the hill climb on the snowy mountain road I drive up to the site in question where the bike rack contraption and bikes came to a stop.  There's a dude with a couple others loading my kit into their truck bed.  "Woah, guys! those are mine and I'm here to take them back!"  After some rather heated negotiations we all agreed it would be best to let me have my stuff back.  I loaded the mess into my TV and drove home.  We now have a 1UP and are very pleased.  

Whew!  The things you get away with in our younger years!

• Like 3
  • Wow 3

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

I have a couple of 1-Up Super Duty racks, they are lovely indeed, but like the Kuat racks, the tire braces are all that hold the bikes on. If a tire deflates unexpectedly things might get ugly. I strap down the rims to the trays and also add stout side support straps on longer trips.

image.thumb.jpeg.6408f0f29810cc9a4df66ed1d860d864.jpeg

John Davies
Spokane WA

• Like 4
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, John E Davies said:

I have a couple of 1-Up Super Duty racks, they are lovely indeed, but like the Kuat racks, the tire braces are all that hold the bikes on. If a tire deflates unexpectedly things might get ugly. I strap down the rims to the trays and also add stout side support straps on longer trips.

Back to that engineer's perspective:

JD:  Love it!  

All:  We have safety chains/cables up front on Ollie to keep it with the TV during an OOPs. 

Might be a good idea to have a safety strap on the bikes themselves that is tied to Ollie's frame.  At least should there be an OOPs, it will stay with you.  

GJ

• Like 2

On 1/30/2023 at 12:29 PM, Patriot said:

There a number of owners that use the nocked out receiver (including me) with thousands of miles carrying their bicycles. I have yet to read about any failures of using the knocked out receiver. I took it a step further and called and spoke to Oliver Service and was told they have not had any bike rack failures reported. Based on this information and talking with other owners and having 4000 miles using this hitch mod, I am not overly concerned about a failure. With periodic inspections, I have not observed any wear and tear that would cause me to discontinue using the Oliver 2” receiver. Naturally one has to proceed with what one is comfortable and their risk tolerance level is when it comes to securing your bikes. 

We cover our bikes when traveling and our rear Ollie lights are still very visible. We have also added the 1Up license plate bracket holder. We really like the 1Up bike rack with is certified for use on a TT. 

Travel safe and 🚲Bike On! 😊

D4EFE3B8-F809-4B5B-98C7-E58ED10AEA5D.thumb.jpeg.16be3920b7b26b6eb35b06e8dfdc56c5.jpeg

F4A9A2CF-D1AD-44DD-BAB0-6D3DBB2D64AB.thumb.jpeg.4c1a47031a14db8775f80c627c869293.jpeg

I have a similar set up with a Kuat rack, a bag that fits over our two oversized fat bikes and bungy to hold everything in place.  Our bag actually covers the bikes to the point of wrapping under the tires and around the hitch.  Upside is even when driving on messy winter roads, the bikes stay clean and clear of the hideous snow melt chemicals.  Downside is, as opposed to your rig, our Ollie rear lights are entirely blocked.  Was a pricey and time consuming endeavor to rig our own lighting.  Didn't want to drill through the trailer to hook into the rear lights so 1) got a "snakebite" splitter to turn the single 7 pole connection into a 7 pole for the trailer hookup and a 4 pole to do the following, 2) ran a jacketed 4 wire line under the trailer to the stinky slinky compartment terminating in 4 pole connectors on both side and 3) used a 5' pvc tube to make a housing to mount the turn signals built for rock tamer mud flaps.  I attach that bar to the bungy netting around the height of the bike pedals.  Very bright and does running lights and turn signals.  Does not need to be hard wired to operate properly like standard truck light bars and is easy to remove and stow when not in use.  Looks a little Frankenstein though.

It would be great if Olivers stuck with their original 2" hitch and added a second set of lights way high above the existing ones to make it easier to carry bikes.  It was explained to me that the hitch was choked down to 1.25" after someone pulled into the factory with their trailer, towing a car using the existing 2" hitch.  I fully understand their wanting to minimize liability but wish they had settled for a warning sticker instead.

SOLD:  2021 Elite 2, Twin Bed, Lithium & Solar, 3000W Inverter

SOLD:  2022 Ford F150, 3.5L V6 EcoBoost, 4x4 Supercab, Trailer Tow Package