Moisture within a double pane window.

As the weather has changed our Ollie has developed a moisture buildup between the two layers of glass in the double pane sliding window in the bathroom (see photo).  It comes and goes, and if the weather is hot enough with no cool nights or rain, the moisture does dissipate a bit, but never completely, so obviously a failed seal between the two panes of glass.  For anyone else that’s had this issue, or other related window issues like a broken glass pane, can just the lower sliding window section be easily replaced?  Or does it require replacing the entire window assembly?   Just trying to decide if it’s worth fixing or just live with it.  Thanks in advance. 

FD456081-74A1-438A-90DD-C7985D3F9F3C.jpeg

• The title was changed to Moisture within a double pane window.

Frank C,

I have had three-bathroom windows fail in the same way you have described.  Two were covered under warranty but the third was not.  I have yet to replace the third, as I suspect the same thing will happen.

It requires the entire window being replaced.  If you are handy, the removal and replacement is easy and straight forward.

AndrewK 

• Like 3

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

• Moderators

If I could go back in time, I'd never have replaced the original single pane window in the bath of our 2008. Though single pane, the construction was superior to the double pane we had installed several years back. I seriously doubt the "double pane" makes much of a thermal difference as it's so very small, and in the bath, anyway. It's been a pain for the last few years.

We've had a few of the big windows fog over the now 15 seasons with our camper. We took it to an rv window repair shop in Hudson, FL, and they removed, repaired, and replaced the windows, for far less than the price of new, and they look and work great. Suncoast Designers.  I highly recommend them, for the larger windows. I'll just live with the bath. It's frosted anyway. 

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Moisture between the panes of a double-glazed window, whether on an RV or your home, indicates a failure of the seal between the panes.  A properly manufactured double-glazed window should not have seal failure.  It is definitely a warranty issue. 

We have purchased two sets of Milgard windows over the past 30 years, one on a home in Bellevue, Washington and the second set on our new home in Garden Valley, Idaho.  Why Milgard?  Because they offer (and honor) a lifetime seal warranty on double-glazed windows.  We had two double-glazed skylights and one double-glazed, single-hung window fail on our Bellevue home.  The seals on the two custom skylights failed, allowing moisture intrusion, after 23 years in service.  In response to our warranty claim, Milgard manufactured replacement custom skylights, and paid their crew to install them, all without charge to us. 

So, we bought Milgard sliding glass doors and windows when building our new home in Idaho.  Ya gotta love that kind of warranty service.

Oliver should warrant window seal failure, but windows are likely covered only by the 1-year "limited component warranty."  You may be out of luck with your 2019 Elite II.

Compared to Milgard's very real lifetime warranty, one year for the windows Oliver installs in its trailers seems pretty skimpy to me.  I would submit a service ticket and see what happens.

• Like 3

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators

Lippert may have a longer warranty, so that's a good thought, rivernerd. Lippert bought Hehr's windows,  the original manufacturer of the windows for Oliver. Hehr windows were pretty much the gold standard in rv windows.

When we took our Oliver to Suncoast designs for resealing the windows, we were surrounded by high end coaches and motorhomes, parked there for the same repairs. (Suncoast stands by their repairs with a long warranty, non-transferable. )

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

When we took our Oliver to Suncoast designs for resealing the windows, we were surrounded by high end coaches and motorhomes, parked there for the same repairs. (Suncoast stands by their repairs with a long warranty, non-transferable. )

I know of another Oliver owner who a a couple of windows resealed at Suncoast and is satisfied with their work and warranty.  Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

I know of another Oliver owner who a a couple of windows resealed at Suncoast and is satisfied with their work and warranty.  Mike

I know there are a number of businesses around the country who do the same work. Two friends had theirs repaired on Arkansas. 

Seems like it's more of a problem for those of us who live in the south. None of my northern friends with 2008 and 2009 ollies have reported issues. (At least two of us had over 100,000 miles of travel before any fogging appeared. )

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Seems like it's more of a problem for those of us who live in the south. None of my northern friends with 2008 and 2009 ollies have reported issues. (At least two of us had over 100,000 miles of travel before any fogging appeared. )

I’m somewhere north of 80,000 miles, 6+ years and no issues.  I’ll know where to go when I do.  Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS