Solar help for prewired 2019 elite 2

Mosey

Hello everyone,

I’ve contacted Oliver service with no help on solar setup since mine did not come with panels. However, it is prewired, I’ve confirmed that. I’m trying to find out where they are terminated under the roof so when I drill a hole in the roof, the wires should be there.  Does anyone have measurements of where to drill the roof hole?  Maybe measurements off a specific location…Ie a/c or roof vent cover.  Also measurements for the metal mounting plates as well.  I notice some squared off fiberglass sections towards the outside in a few places…are those the plates?  Thanks for the help!  Cheers, Mike. 

• Like 1

For Anyone Who Is Interested,

We purchased our 2019 Oliver Elite II without solar.

After purchasing and installing LiFePO4 batteries, I decided adding solar made sense and reached out to Jason Essary from Oliver.  I wanted to make sure I installed the solar system as close to the way Oliver did from the factory as I could.  I also reached out to Battle Born Batteries for advice.

After installing solar panels, a solar controller, battery monitor and LiFePO4 batteries I posted the installation here on the forum.

Since then, I have received a number of requests for assistance on other Oliver owner's installations.

To help others, I produced detailed instructions as to how I completed our installation.

I also have a parts and tool list as well as numerous pictures of various parts of the installation.

If you are interested in any of the information I have or would like to discuss any part of the installation, please let me know.  

I am happy to help in any way I can.

Andrew

P.S. Please keep in mind I am very handy but, I am not professional solar installer or electrician.  I am only providing this information as a description as to what I did.

• Thanks 5

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

• Moderators

That's very nice of you, @AndrewK. We are so fortunate to have so many members here like you who share their experiences and knowledge with us!

Here's a link to a discussion where Andrewk shared a few photos of his install: 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

My 2019 Elite II does not have solar, just wondering what the upgrade would cost, batteries, solar panels, equipment need to complete the install. I realize the cost can vary, but I was thinking pretty much equal to the Oliver option, would it be in the $3000/$6000 dollar range, or more. 

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

On 7/12/2022 at 1:03 AM, Mosey said:

I notice some squared off fiberglass sections towards the outside in a few places…are those the plates?  

Hi Mike,

I do have the solar already installed and have noticed the squared off fiberglass sections towards the outside.  My understanding is those are indeed plates sandwiched between the hulls for the awning installation.  They are put on all configurations of the Elite 2 in case someone wants to add another awning at a later date.  At least that's what my sales rep told me.  Good luck with your project!  :classic_smile:

John

• Like 1

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

Trainman,

In 2019, I was all in at $4,600.

That included:

- (2) Zamp panels, combiner box and all mounting hardware

- (2) Battle Born 100ah batteries

- Victron solar controller

- Victron battery monitor

- New converter/charger

- All connectors, wire, circuit breaker and tools for the insulation

The detailed list is attached.

Andrew

Copy of Solar And Battery Purchases.xlsx

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Andrew

Andrew:

What does the following items (from your list) have to do with the solar/battery installation and where were they installed? 

AM Solar 15.5" Tilt Bar Set with Knobs and Washers (Amazon)
6' Fiberglass Fish Rod (Home Depot)

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

dewdev,

The solar panel tilt bars are intended to be used to help the panel capture more solar energy when the sun is low in the sky.  I have not seen a need to use the for that purpose.  I use them to tilt the panels when I am cleaning or waxing the roof.

The fish rod was used to aid in running wires.

Andrew

• Like 3

Andrew

• 2 months later...
On 7/18/2022 at 4:52 AM, Trainman said:

My 2019 Elite II does not have solar, just wondering what the upgrade would cost, batteries, solar panels, equipment need to complete the install. I realize the cost can vary, but I was thinking pretty much equal to the Oliver option, would it be in the $3000/$6000 dollar range, or more. 

trainman

Hey trainman-

with the help of Andrew k, I was able to do it in two evenings. Cost came out around $1200. I used panels of exact Oliver size from bougerv 9bb off Amazon and a Victron smart solar charger. I much prefer victron with the Bluetooth ability which works great. Also added the temp setting.  The panels were much cheaper and great quality. Plus they respond to service questions within a day or two. Each panel is pulling in about 9 amps, 18amp total (give or take)in parallel. However, I recently switched to series connection so total 9 amps, but more voltage power for cloudy days in PNW. 
cheers mike. 

• Like 3