The Ford F-150 Lightning Barely Made It 80 Miles With a Trailer

Sak

• Moderator+

Maybe one of these days. 

• Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

This doesn't surprise me, heck the Rivian barely made it 100 miles but its a considerably smaller and presumably a lighter truck. The article states the F150 gas powered can tow 14,000 lbs. I don't know anyone who would do this other than a quick tow across town. No one in their right mind would use a 1/2 ton truck to tow this much weight on a regular and consistent basis.

All this isn't to say that EV trucks might not have some use and value but towing isn't one of them and probably will not be for a long time if ever. We can hope but I don't expect to see it in my lifetime.

• Like 2

Legacy Elite II #70

• Moderators

That towing capacity and range would be helpful to local contractors,  like my nephew and some friends who are still working.  (We're retired.)

It wouldn't be helpful with an Ollie,  for sure.

Things will change,  as everything evolves.

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 months later...
On 7/12/2022 at 9:32 AM, routlaw said:

All this isn't to say that EV trucks might not have some use and value but towing isn't one of them and probably will not be for a long time if ever. We can hope but I don't expect to see it in my lifetime.

Point well made.   Just think with the phase out of gas, the availability of replacement TV will become problematic.  Another concern is that if you want to do 500 miles a day, you will need a LOT more travel time due to a needing 5 recharges.  

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

Point well made.   Just think with the phase out of gas, the availability of replacement TV will become problematic.  Another concern is that if you want to do 500 miles a day, you will need a LOT more travel time due to a needing 5 recharges.  

What about availability during natural disasters?  How did EVs do in central Florida after Ian?  Emergency responders and electric company responders needing to charge when the grid was down…. Maybe hybrids are a better solution, best of both worlds?

• Like 5

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

A lot of EVs were flooded in Florida and are now catching fire due to internal salt water corrosion….. those conflagrations are super difficult to extinguish, and very bad news if they happen to be inside a building at the time. The same is probably happening with all those recently acquired ebikes, though I haven’t read any stories yet. But an ebike battery exploded in a NYC apartment killing some people not too long ago. The problem with the cheap models is that they use crappy batteries and chargers, unlike the ones from Bosch or Yamaha.

I am very leery of all my lithium batteries, I keep them isolated in the garage as best I can. I think my wife’s new Bosch ebike battery is going to stay in the house over the winter, but I am going to keep it inside a ceramic pot. …. https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/fireproof-battery-bag.27254/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

On 10/8/2022 at 7:59 AM, John E Davies said:

A lot of EVs were flooded in Florida and are now catching fire due to internal salt water corrosion….. those conflagrations are super difficult to extinguish, and very bad news if they happen to be inside a building at the time. The same is probably happening with all those recently acquired ebikes, though I haven’t read any stories yet. But an ebike battery exploded in a NYC apartment killing some people not too long ago. The problem with the cheap models is that they use crappy batteries and chargers, unlike the ones from Bosch or Yamaha.

I am very leery of all my lithium batteries, I keep them isolated in the garage as best I can. I think my wife’s new Bosch ebike battery is going to stay in the house over the winter, but I am going to keep it inside a ceramic pot. …. https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/fireproof-battery-bag.27254/

John Davies

Spokane WA

"I think my wife’s new Bosch ebike battery is going to stay in the house over the winter"

John what kind of ebike and do you put it on the bike rack behind your Ollie?

John

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderators

This whole sub-topic about battery fires is no joke!

I had a laptop charging in my office here at home and at about 10:30 pm I heard what sounded like a 22 rifle going off.  I rushed down the hall from the master bedroom to find that the individual cells of the lithium laptop battery were exploding and about 30% of the office was on fire.  Thankfully I was able to unplug the charger and we had a fire extinguisher handy to get the fire out.

Yes, insurance covered the damage (minus my deductible of course) but it took the better part of six months to get things back to normal.

I no longer leave my laptop, or any other re-chargeable battery unattended.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

1 hour ago, John Welte said:

"I think my wife’s new Bosch ebike battery is going to stay in the house over the winter"

John what kind of ebike and do you put it on the bike rack behind your Ollie?

John

Class 3 (28 mph pedal assist), big battery for serious hill climbing and good range, big dual piston brakes for going back down, belt drive, internal wide ratio  gearless hub. Built in the Netherlands. This bike is beautifully engineered and an absolute delight. It’s hers but she lets me ride it sometimes. 😬 I have peripheral neuropathy, so this lets me ride when a regular bike is just too difficult.

https://www.gazellebikes.com/en-us/gazelle-ultimate-c380plus-hmb

The rack is custom, with a 1-Up Super Duty single tray. The bike is loaded as I type, and ready to go, I am headed to Heyburn State Park ID to ride parts of the Trail of the Coeur d’Alenes, which is dead flat, paved and has stunning scenery.

323E0A4E-7561-422F-9278-06F390BBFBC8.thumb.jpeg.7c8da1f28d1a1c4796c9b3161242d8e6.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

3 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Class 3 (28 mph pedal assist), big battery for serious hill climbing and good range, big dual piston brakes for going back down, belt drive, internal wide ratio  gearless hub. Built in the Netherlands. This bike is beautifully engineered and an absolute delight. It’s hers but she lets me ride it sometimes. 😬 I have peripheral neuropathy, so this lets me ride when a regular bike is just too difficult.

https://www.gazellebikes.com/en-us/gazelle-ultimate-c380plus-hmb

The rack is custom, with a 1-Up Super Duty single tray. The bike is loaded as I type, and ready to go, I am headed to Heyburn State Park ID to ride parts of the Trail of the Coeur d’Alenes, which is dead flat, paved and has stunning scenery.

323E0A4E-7561-422F-9278-06F390BBFBC8.thumb.jpeg.7c8da1f28d1a1c4796c9b3161242d8e6.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

Great looking bike and rack.  I haven't bought a rack yet, but I do have the Oliver bike rack mount ordered.  Less than a month to go now.

• Like 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png