Fridge Fires??? Fridge Defend by ARP ???

Here is the lower hatch for the Dometic in Hull 218 

image.thumb.jpeg.45366890a10f978ef1698dd1782716d5.jpeg

You have to say to yourself, what were the Oliver engineers thinking? I can "barely" touch the heater cable with my finger tips at the upper right side of the pic,  where it enters the burner, no way could I actually open the outer cover. In order to mount the control box and the big fan in there, I could eliminate that wire junction steel plate at the lower left and install WAGO connectors and heat shrink....  That would open up some space. I originally thought about remote mounting the display, but decided that is not a great idea for a number of reasons.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

18 minutes ago, bhncb said:

Have you considered enlarging the lower vent. This should be an easy job with a big payoff..

The hull mold was altered when they switched to Norcold.

image.thumb.jpeg.cf742b6c46f7c019afead03ae706af01.jpeg

I borrowed your image and stacked it above my image.

image.thumb.png.553db9477fc4f3563ec17afb1f2e604f.png

image.thumb.jpeg.7478cc60f1aa61a1fdc80a813f0ba487.jpegPretty sad, eh? 

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Wow 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

22 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

The hull mold was altered when they switched to Norcold.

I couldn't remember seeing if yours had the early or late style. Their were some later LEIIs built that had the enlarged indentation but with the small vent. I remember being concerned about this issue when I ordered my 2018, which were still Dometics at the time. 

• Like 2

Yeah, not much room in there.  I think your idea of removing that junction box to make room would work, but you would still want to aim the blower to get air flowing up the left side as that's where your cooling absorber coils are.  If the blower blew air straight up into the boiler I think it would be defeating the purpose of the boiler a bit.  Also, the fan temperature sensor goes on the lower absorber coil and it's even obscured!  wow.

• Like 2

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

• Moderators

Only good news, @John E Davies, when you ultimately change up to a compressor fridge, it's a smaller area to seal.

Yours is pretty much identical to our 2008. Interestingly enough, our first fridge was an older  norcold.  2nd a dometic. Now, compressor fridge.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I’m installing the ARP fridge Defend and i need help for the wiring. 
i’m not connected to short power, i opened (off) the 110 v main breaker and also the fridge breaker and get the 12 v 20 amp fridge fuse out and the switch for the solar charging is opened to (off). When i took the voltage from 12 v source at the fridge control ( outside ) i’m still having 12 volts on my volt meter? Where does the 12 v sources from the black and yellow wires coming from? 
All my connections are like the electric diagram that i joint in below but  when i connected the green wire (ground) from the controler, there is a sound coming from the ARP control? I installed a 5 amp fuse to the red wire and also a 3 amp fuse for the fans wires……

is it possible to get a closer picture of the connections from NCEagle?

thanks a lot!

image.png

Elite2 2022, #1120. RAM 3500 Laramie 2022 diesel SRW

Quebec, Canada

previous rig:  35 foot fifth wheel with Ford f350 2018 diesel DRW 

On 10/5/2022 at 3:03 PM, Roger P said:

Hi,

I’m installing the ARP fridge Defend and i need help for the wiring. 
i’m not connected to short power, i opened (off) the 110 v main breaker and also the fridge breaker and get the 12 v 20 amp fridge fuse out and the switch for the solar charging is opened to (off). When i took the voltage from 12 v source at the fridge control ( outside ) i’m still having 12 volts on my volt meter? Where does the 12 v sources from the black and yellow wires coming from? 
All my connections are like the electric diagram that i joint in below but  when i connected the green wire (ground) from the controler, there is a sound coming from the ARP control? I installed a 5 amp fuse to the red wire and also a 3 amp fuse for the fans wires……

is it possible to get a closer picture of the connections from NCEagle?

thanks a lot!

image.png

@Roger P, this diagram is correct and what I used for our 2020 Elite II (Hull #688) - even though we don't have the older "recalled" wiring, so I suspect it's correct for you as well UNLESS Oliver has changed refrigerator models.  I tried to take some close up pictures of my wiring but it's just too difficult to see things since I've bundled and tie-wrapped all the wires.  I spliced the green wire into that green jumper wire between terminals 1 and 3, but you could also use terminal 4.  Anything that's ground / negative works.  I hope the buzzing from the ARP doesn't mean you accidently hooked the green wire to a positive 12v feed.  Best of luck getting your fridge defender installed!

• Like 2

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel