BATTERIES General Information

Eric,

I understand the deep discharge part better. A fellow Oliver owner has 6 volt batteries and is perfectly happy. He explained why he uses 6 volt but I don't exactly get it because that was the first explantion I heard. It made perfect sense when he was telling me but to intelligently discuss with why I want one or the other is not yet within my understanding.

If 6 volt deep discharge is more efficient??? then why are 12 volt batteries used? whether AMG or flooded cell?

There is nothing inherently better about 6v, it's just that that particular battery (also known as a T-105 battery) is cost effective because of its wide availability and volume production.

Most "RV/Marine" batteries are a compromise between a high-current starting battery and a deep-cycle battery. These batteries are often installed in trailers by manufacturers because most of their customers will be staying at RV parks when they travel and will only need a small amount of battery capacity while on the road. They're cheap and readily available and satisfy most RVer's needs.

If you're going to be dry camping, though, you'll want a "deep-cycle" battery. These have heavier plates of solid lead so that they can sustain repeated deep discharge cycles with less damage to the battery's capacity. There are certainly 12v versions of these batteries, but the most common and easiest to buy are the 6v ones.

Lots of battery FAQs out there on the web, try this one and see if it answers your questions:

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

The benfit is how the batteries are connected to the system. In order to get 12 volts from two six volt batteries they must be wired in series. Not only does this give you 12 volts, it also insures the power drawn from the batteries is even as the batteries get older and performance drops.

When two 12 volt batteries are used they must be wired in parellel, unless you need 24 volts. When they are wired this way there is now way to control how much each battery is drawn done when in use. If one battery starts to degrade in performance, which they do with age and use, it will drawn down the good battery. This will leave you wondering why your batteries never get back to full charge.

There is a lot more to my explaination, but I just wanted to say the benifits are enough that I am going with 6 volts when my current batteries need replacing.

I am still trying to learn from all the discussion and the excellent battery website shared by Eric.

I think I get it - sorta . The batteries that came with my Oliver are Autocraft RV/Marine Deep Cycle.

Are these Autocraft true Deep Cycle batteries? How does a person KNOW if a battery is a true deep cycle battery?

If they are true deep cycle 12 volt batteries, is there a benefit to switching to 6 volt deep cycle when I need to replace my batteries? I think they are lighter and smaller???

I also like the idea of the AGM batteries for the convenience of not having to fill the batteries with water.

I hope I won't have the expense of new batteries for a long time. Because getting new batteries for my RV isn't inexpensive I want to be able to make a wise decision when the time comes.

The original battery in my truck just died after 6 years. I feel good about the choice of the replacement battery I made (even though it was for my truck) because of what I have learned about batteries on the forum. Many thanks.

Maybe I can word my question now to ask what I still don't totally understand and haven't picked up on yet.

If both a 6 volt and 12 volt are true deep cycle, what is the advantage of choosing the 6 volt?

Hi,

Having had 3 units and living on the road for 6 years, batteries are important AND expensive to replace. Site to site with full hook up is one thing but often days boon docking are what the moment requires. Interesting to note that the Oliver 22' had 4, that's four batteries. Two of the motor homes we lived in had 4 batteries, plus a genset, which was readily available and had to be run once a day to keep everything tiptop. the bus had a 24 volt. High end RV's have many continuous parasite draws...Oliver is a high end trailer. 12 volts doesn't really have the staying power of 2 6's correctly wired and designed for deep cycling. It takes quite a while for the battery to come back from exhaustion to full 12.7 volts.

Recently I found something that reverses the sulphating, destroyer of integrity. Connected to the bank, it'll regenerate the sulphates into active electrolite. Battery life can be extended up to 3X's. A 4 year battery can be rejuvenated so it lasts up to 12 years.

I have a Solargizer.

So far in about 2 weeks of use, my 2 Exides have come north from 12.2 volts resting to 12.5. I expect 12.7 soon. It tales a little time BUT it works!

They're available from many distributors web etc. and the cost is 10 -15% of a new install. Check it out on Google....desulphtors/desufators. There is a good Youtube vid that shows what to expect.

Delsuphators are the 21'st century, few know of them and exactly how effective they are.

How much does it cost to replace the trailer power and how many others do we own?

Hi,

Recently I found something that reverses the sulphating, destroyer of integrity. Connected to the bank, it'll regenerate the sulphates into active electrolite. Battery life can be extended up to 3X's. A 4 year battery can be rejuvenated so it lasts up to 12 years.

1. Use with brand new batteries or ok for 2 year old or older batteries?

2.Would battery store know how to install?

3.What brand and higher power desulfator is best?

4. Will the store?? installing know that leads between battery terminals and PC Board is most effective if less than 12 inches?

5. I have a Solargizer.

What brand works for you and where did you get it?

Delsuphators are the 21'st century, few know of them and exactly how effective they are.

Sounds like this is a very useful product.

How much does it cost to replace the trailer power and how many others do we own?

I wasn't sure what you meant by this.

What kinds of parasite draws are there other than the lighted stereo?

Can a on/off switch be installed to turn off only the stereo so there is no power (blue lights???)

photos????

Thanks for sharing. I can't say enough how much I personally appreciate the time everybody takes to post such useful replies and information! Onward to all of our enjoyment when we are able to search for and enjoy the NEXT most beautiful spot we ever visited.

Hi Jam49,

My answers to:

1. Yes, use with any 12 volt battery. Can revive most dead batteries as long as there isn't a mechanical problem such as shorted plates. They reverse sufation and turn it into usable electrolite. New batteries begin sulfation immediately and we are constantly charging and discharging when the trailer is in use and when it sits idle. There are different models. Some sit on or near the battery and use the juice to keep the pulse going, stopping when it gets lower than a certain voltage. Others only work when the battery is being charged by the alternator/hook up/genset etc. Then there are those which have a trickle charge to maintain sitting ones.

2. You can install. They're really, Really simple.

3. There are many brand and types: it depends on the need and equipment. I got a solar powered one with a 110 power source. It can be used either way. They come in 2-5-10amps. Take your pick. Higher power ones work more quickly. It does take time to restore. Since my last post my batteries have reached 12.7 Volts resting. This is the normal max charge for Exides from their website.

Pulse Tech makes a whack of different ones including the Solargizer line. Pulsetch.com I got mine from a Canadian outfit to avoid customs/duty and shipping challenges.

Infinitum is another and attaches directly to the terminals running full time.

4.I have 5 12 volt automotive batteries. 2 in the oliver about $5-600 to replace with quality deep cycle high amp hour. 1 Smart car,expensive german unit, I don't want to know! 1 motorcycle at around $100 and 1 for the truck, God knows..... Anyway it's a real saving to be able to extend the useful life. I use the Solargizer on all of them. It had clips. I could get 3 more and keep them hooked up continually but it has to stop somewhere. Gives me something to putter and fiddle with.

There are CO and gas detectors plus the inverter that I know about. If the fridge is on auto, after AC, default is DC. Propane is cheaper and uses much less power but that has to be chosen from the menu each time we disconnect. We never turn the fridge off, ever. Done it like that for years and it runs fine.When I turn my stereo off on the main bar by the door,the blue light extinguishes. Do that nightly.

Oh incidentally smaller and lighter means less juice shorter use. You want the heaviest lead filled sucker you can find to fit that box. The OEM's are top of the line 12 volt. Blue top Optima would be better in that they don't leak at all. Big $'s.

On the 6volt vs 12 volt it's most likely cost issue. HQ 6 volts are more money. I'll replace mine next time, 10 years from now.... with 6's.

Hopeful this is helpful.

• Moderator+

We never turn the fridge off, ever. Done it like that for years and it runs fine.

We've done the same thing for the past two years we've owned the . We were advised to do that by a service tech that did a seminar at one of the rally's we went to in the first few months of our ownership. Likewise, we've not had any problems.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg