Body stability?

We are the new owners of hull #90.  Upgrading from a Casita.  I have noticed when the tongue jack and stabilizers are down there is still rocking in the body.  I am parked on a concrete surface.  Is this normal?

5 minutes ago, Puderer said:

We are the new owners of hull #90.  Upgrading from a Casita.  I have noticed when the tongue jack and stabilizers are down there is still rocking in the body.  I am parked on a concrete surface.  Is this normal?

Yes, we use these and they help reduce rocking.

F61FF7A1-C611-4689-8D6F-91FD6B413D92.png

• Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

It depends partly on how far extended the jacks are. If you are not using any blocks under them, then yes, there can be some motion, because the inside parts are not very well supported when far out. The easy way to eliminate it is to stack wood or “Lego” blocks underneath all three so that they only have to extend a few inches. That also conserves electrical power, and reduces wear and tear on the motors and gearboxes.

Also, FYI the hardware that holds the jacks to the frame may be LOOSE, check all nuts and bolts for tightness, if any are loose, tightening them to the correct torque will firm things up.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/6812-check-your-rear-jack-mount-hardware-bottom-frame-bolts-were-1-turn-loose/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 4

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

These will dampen most of the movement. Just snug them up against the frame. Don’t support the weight of the trailer with them.  I used to use them until we got accustomed to the wobble. It’s an Oliver thing. 

C5CDF77F-C6EE-499B-B8D9-F379FDECB7E8.thumb.jpeg.e7d38d7f45d72a741f171c32e55ea5aa.jpeg

C60F8E5E-E44F-49F3-9B1C-C0C06EA39688.thumb.jpeg.a038cf1f0f96139ee3b0290908f53a6e.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Olympian-Aluminum-Stabilize-Position/dp/B000760FWU

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

We use the red Andersen jack buckets under each stabilizer jack so the jacks aren’t extended far, so less flexing & stress on the stabilizer jack legs, and less wear & tear on the jack motors lowering and raising the jacks.  And I’ve found that the stabilizers have to be run down to the point where you are actually taking significant loading off of the trailer leaf springs to really stabilize things.  Not lifting the trailer tires off the ground but definitely making the rear stabilizers carry a good bit of the trailer weight to keep the trailer from rocking. I also use stabilizer chocks between the wheels.  And since you have an older trailer, take John’s advice and definitely check all of your jack mounting hardware and bracket welds to make sure nothing is broken that’s causing your rocking. 

image.thumb.jpeg.73a7406b9ac34dcfc4f64f925ac7f1bb.jpeg

• Like 4

First Priority/Suggestion: Check the hardware as John Davis suggested

Second Suggestion: Use three Anderson buckets like what Frank C suggested or something equivalant so the stabilizing jacks are not traveling so far to support the trailer. I use the Anderson buckets and have had no real rocking problems.

Third Suggestion (if you want added insurance against rocking): Use the X-Chocks as suggested by Patriot. I use them when I am staying in one location for more than 1 day and the Oliver is then rock solid.

Happy camping and welcome to the Oliver family.

• Like 3

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Puderer said:

Patriot, by "yes" do you mean it is normal to have some rocking?

Yes.  It is normal.

We’ve been rocking for over 6 years,   Unless you use separate jacks or x-chocks to help the onboard stabilizers you will have some movement.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

13 hours ago, Puderer said:

Patriot, by "yes" do you mean it is normal to have some rocking?

Yes, it is normal to have some rocking. We also use the Andersen buckets under the rear stabilizers. 
The xchocks work very well for us.

• Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg