Awning J Channel or Weather Strip?

I know some of you have either removed or considered removing the weather strip along the awning.  I for one, love sitting under a short-set awning in the rain.  I usually have stuff on a table outside the door and I don't like the idea of having water streaming down between the awning and the side of the camper.  With that said, my '17 ILOVHER has needed a replacement weather strip as it's starting to deteriorate.  (btw, I have the manual Fiamma) 

This last rain storm had water coming down in the middle and the brackets were not blocked with debris....had just cleaned and waxed.   I reached out to Oliver to see if I could obtain a new strip and was told they offer a new 'J' channel style in addition to the old. 

I'd like opinions on whether the J style is worthwhile as compared to the old.  It seems to me it would collect more pine needles and need frequent cleaning of dirt/mold.  I also read the strip is now placed lower than they were on the '17s.   If you have the J style strip..how do you like it?  Can any of you provide photos? 

Thanks in Advance!

Claudia

• Like 3

2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport 5.7L V8 

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Hull #184 ~ "ILOVHER"

• Moderators

@csevel, we've also enjoyed the weatherstripping. Like you, we have the manual awning, and can roll it back to a short distance. 

We still have the original on our 2008. It has some stains, but it's still there, and works. 

But, we don't store in totally direct sun, nor pine trees or cottonwood and the like, and their mess.

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

16 hours ago, csevel said:

I know some of you have either removed or considered removing the weather strip along the awning.  I for one, love sitting under a short-set awning in the rain.  I usually have stuff on a table outside the door and I don't like the idea of having water streaming down between the awning and the side of the camper.  With that said, my '17 ILOVHER has needed a replacement weather strip as it's starting to deteriorate.  (btw, I have the manual Fiamma) 

This last rain storm had water coming down in the middle and the brackets were not blocked with debris....had just cleaned and waxed.   I reached out to Oliver to see if I could obtain a new strip and was told they offer a new 'J' channel style in addition to the old. 

I'd like opinions on whether the J style is worthwhile as compared to the old.  It seems to me it would collect more pine needles and need frequent cleaning of dirt/mold.  I also read the strip is now placed lower than they were on the '17s.   If you have the J style strip..how do you like it?  Can any of you provide photos? 

Thanks in Advance!

Claudia

Hi Claudia,

Here are some pictures I took of an Oliver at the mother ship back in May.  They were experimenting with this arrangement.  Jason said water flows over them in moderate to heavy rains.  Wendy and I haven't gotten around to making those window vents you showed us at the rally.  We're waiting for you to mass produce and sell them on line..lol!

John

20220612_Hohenwald, Tn_0534.jpg

20220612_Hohenwald, Tn_0533.jpg

20220612_Hohenwald, Tn_0535.jpg

• Like 5

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

https://wenandjohnsadventure.com/

John and Wendy,

Thank you so much for the pix!  I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick with the original type stripping.  It's taller and rain seems to flow along it and out at the ends without much overflow.  Other than the deterioration, I've been pretty happy with the way it works despite the collection of debris behind the brackets.  If I was physically unable to get up there to clean, I would probably go with the J-channel style.  

As far as the window vents go, I've consulted with a patent attorney (who's a dear friend) to see what's involved with stepping forward with my design.  The consensus is to make and sell a few (10-15) to see what the interest is and go from there.  I have been busy camping so I've sort of put it on the back burner.  I saw one member here make one and I was thrilled to see their attempt!  Stay tuned.. 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport 5.7L V8 

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Hull #184 ~ "ILOVHER"

We had our bulb seal replaced by Oliver last summer with new bull seal. I posted about the new replacement here is the link - Zero issues now and it performs as designed. Oliver did a great job drilling out our awning brackets as well so no pooling of water concern now. 👍🏻

• Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

On 7/22/2022 at 7:16 AM, csevel said:

John and Wendy,

Thank you so much for the pix!  I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick with the original type stripping.  It's taller and rain seems to flow along it and out at the ends without much overflow.  Other than the deterioration, I've been pretty happy with the way it works despite the collection of debris behind the brackets.  If I was physically unable to get up there to clean, I would probably go with the J-channel style.  

As far as the window vents go, I've consulted with a patent attorney (who's a dear friend) to see what's involved with stepping forward with my design.  The consensus is to make and sell a few (10-15) to see what the interest is and go from there.  I have been busy camping so I've sort of put it on the back burner.  I saw one member here make one and I was thrilled to see their attempt!  Stay tuned.. 🙂

Please put us down for a set of vents as well if they become available.

albert

• Like 1

spacer.png

Albert & Terri Sterns

Paonia, Colorado

Elite II Hull #1125 Standard Floorplan / 2017 Ford F250 gas

On 7/22/2022 at 9:16 AM, csevel said:

John and Wendy,

Claudia,

Donna and I would purchase a couple too. 

I thought hard about how to cleanly and repeatedly make the cut-outs in the plastic and have some ideas but haven't gotten around to actually implementing my thoughts. If I ever get around to it, and if it worked out, I'd just send you either the finished base pieces for your production process or provide you the jig.  It's your idea so I wouldn't want anything except to see you succeed in your business. 

Hoping you just make a few and sell them so I don't have to do "too much thinkin".

Paul & Donna (2 HOBOS)

• Like 2

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like an opportunity for Oliver to set you up for a demonstration at next year’s rally. 

• Like 1

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

On 7/22/2022 at 7:53 AM, johnwen said:

You can count us in :classic_smile:

Count us in, too!  

(And hopefully your patent attorney advised you that if there is, indeed, something patentable to your design, you have only one year from its first public use/disclosure/sale to get a patent on file for coverage in the US.)

mb

• Like 1

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 7/21/2022 at 9:55 AM, csevel said:

I for one, love sitting under a short-set awning in the rain.  I usually have stuff on a table outside the door and I don't like the idea of having water streaming down between the awning and the side of the camper. 

Ditto!  Also to cast some shade on the Refer area when I can't park the curb side to the northish direction.

Can both the existing seal and the J "gutter guard" be used at the same time?  Belts and suspenders.

image.png.0e1dc54188fb9b720d09cc6e9ed89592.png

GJ

Edited by Geronimo John
added combo use idea

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg