Best Bumper Rack for Honda EU generator?

My nice RV mechanic suggested I place the Honda generator I plan on ordering on the bumper?  What would be the best rack?

Thank you!!

Margaret.  Oliver Legacy Elite II, 2017 (Jasmine).  Nissan Armada 2018.  Hull 179.  

• Moderators

I'd personally never put gas, or a gas genset on the bumper, but others might. For a number of reasons.   Rear end collision hazard, top among them. Difficult to use rear exit window in a true emergency.  Theft opportunities.  Changes tow balance, etc.

There is a tray available for the tongue, if your trailer doesn't have one already. 

All you need is a small, lightweight genset to charge the batteries, imo. We only carry a Honda 1000. 

It charges batteries, when solar fails in crummy weather. It won't run ac. Slightly heavier, in the 220 to 2400 watt range, may run the ac for you, as well. Still something I can lift and move. Not as easily, but possible. 

Does your trailer have the front generator connection? We do, though we've never used it.

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

7 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

I'd personally never put gas, or a gas genset on the bumper, but others might. For a number if reasons.   Rear end collision hazard, top among them. Difficult to use rear exit window in a true emergency.  Theft opportunities.  Changes tow balance, etc.

There is a tray available for the tongue, if your trailer doesn't have one already. 

All you need is a small, lightweight genset to charge the batteries, imo. We only carry a Honda 1000. 

It charges batteries, when solar fails in crummy weather. It won't run ac. Slightly heavier, in the 220 to 2400 watt range, may run the ac for you, as well. Still something I can lift and move. Not as easily, but possible. 

Does your trailer have the front generator connection? We do, though we've never used it.

Great answer, thank you.  How would I get the tray, just use the Oliver website?  Sorry for being such a newbie.  I haven't checked for the connection.  The generator would definitely be a 1000, as that is all I can lift.  I would have to go to higher elevations to escape heat.

• Like 3

Margaret.  Oliver Legacy Elite II, 2017 (Jasmine).  Nissan Armada 2018.  Hull 179.  

• Moderators

The Honda 1000 weighs approximately 30 pounds. The 2200, about 50. I can lift either. 

If you can leave it on the tongue, in a basket, it's kind of immaterial,  except for changing tongue weight. And, having to have the bathroom window and vents closed to eliminate the station wagon effect. (And setting off your co monitor...)

Call Oliver about the basket, or you can get something fabricated locally. There have occasionally been some for sale on the forum.

If you routinely camp with electricity,  it's pretty irrelevant. 

I know your trailer doesn't have solar, but I'd suggest a portable solar  panel, if you only rarely boondock.  

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

That little generator will easily fit in the back of your truck bed, along with a GOOD gas can.. (A dual fuel model can be connected to your trailer propane system.) You don’t need to store it outside in the weather and filth. I  assume that you have some sort of cover for the bed. Keep it near the back, slide it out into the tailgate to operate it, or just set it on the ground and loop a bike cable lock around the trailer frame. The little 1000 watt suitcase units are great for battery charging but they won’t multi-task at all. Or operate the air conditioning😥

For much easier access to everything in the truck, add a bed slide (loooong drawer with roller bearing slides).

John Davies 

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

@John E Davies, I think I remember from another thread that she tows with an suv.

A number of my friends don't like to have a generator in the back of an suv. 

I could be wrong... 

I absolutely agree, the rear bumper is a lousy place for a generator. 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

17 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

@John E Davies, I think I remember from another thread that she tows with an suv.

A number of my friends don't like to have a generator in the back of an suv. 

I could be wrong... 

I absolutely agree, the rear bumper is a lousy place for a generator. 

Her signature says Nissan Armada, so I guess you are right. Oops.

OTH I have carried a generator in my LC200 for four seasons, and a steel NATO jerry gas can for one, neither of them smell at all.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

I know. I have friends who carry gens in their suvs, others who won't even consider it.

It's all a personal decision. 

I'd personally discourage anyone from trying to carry a generator on the Ollie bumper, though...

@Margaret, what batteries do you have now?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

If I had to carry a gas or propane generator, it would be on the trailer tongue, unless I need a pickup truck bed, maybe even then for most people. Hard to come up with another better alternative. 

• Like 2

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

7 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

The Honda 1000 weighs approximately 30 pounds. The 2200, about 50. I can lift either. 

If you can leave it on the tongue, in a basket, it's kind of immaterial,  except for changing tongue weight. And, having to have the bathroom window and vents closed to eliminate the station wagon effect. (And setting off your co monitor...)

Call Oliver about the basket, or you can get something fabricated locally. There have occasionally been some for sale on the forum.

If you routinely camp with electricity,  it's pretty irrelevant. 

I know your trailer doesn't have solar, but I'd suggest a portable solar  panel, if you only rarely boondock.  

Hi SeaDawg,

I did call Oliver, and I definitely can't afford their tongue basket.  I've seen comparable ones online for much less, but I don't know if they would fit, and I don't know how they are attached to the tongue (?). 

I think I already have a solar panel somewhere; I just need to dig it out.  I would definitely get the Honda EU 1000, as it is quiet, lightweight, and easy to start.  I don't plan to rely on electricity 100 percent.

Thank you!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John E Davies said:

That little generator will easily fit in the back of your truck bed, along with a GOOD gas can.. (A dual fuel model can be connected to your trailer propane system.) You don’t need to store it outside in the weather and filth. I  assume that you have some sort of cover for the bed. Keep it near the back, slide it out into the tailgate to operate it, or just set it on the ground and loop a bike cable lock around the trailer frame. The little 1000 watt suitcase units are great for battery charging but they won’t multi-task at all. Or operate the air conditioning😥

For much easier access to everything in the truck, add a bed slide (loooong drawer with roller bearing slides).

John Davies 

Spokane WA

Hi John,

I have an SUV, not a truck, and I prefer to keep gas fumes out of the SUV interior.  Otherwise , that would be a good suggestion.  

I do have a 1000 watt suitcase, just not sure where.  I'll have to dig around 

Thank you!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kirk Peterson said:

If I had to carry a gas or propane generator, it would be on the trailer tongue, unless I need a pickup truck bed, maybe even then for most people. Hard to come up with another better alternative. 

Kirk,

If you couldn't afford the basket Oliver provides as an accessory, what would you get instead?  They charge a hefty $1600.  

Also, how would you attach the basket to the tongue? 

Thank you!

@SeaDawg,

I just got another set of 12 volt batteries.

@John E Davies and @Kirk Peterson, what type of basket is comparable to the Oliver basket, but less expensive, and how would you bolt it to the tongue?  

Thanks,

I'm going to get rid of that annoying pic that is part of my signature 

4 hours ago, Margaret said:

If you couldn't afford the basket Oliver provides as an accessory, what would you get instead?  They charge a hefty $1600.  

Wow! That is a lot for that basket! I might check to see if I had a local fabricator. We have a fabricator that does a great job, hard to imagine it costing more than a few hundred dollars. 
There are some on Amazon that I think people have used. You would have to remove the generator from the box to use it, and come up with a way to securely attach it. 

B5B0AC17-12BF-4408-9374-A1D584B3E04F.png

• Like 3

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

• Moderators

You might like took at this thread:

You could also post something in classifieds-- looking for a front basket for Ollie Elite II.  You might get "lucky" and find someone who no longer wants theirs....

I actually think the box is nice for a Honda 1000. It'll stay clean, and out of sight.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 1 year later...
On 7/21/2022 at 11:07 AM, Margaret said:

My nice RV mechanic suggested I place the Honda generator I plan on ordering on the bumper

Should you go this direction, you will for sure want to have a very durable and tight fitting cover for the rear bumper mounted Honda.

The amount of dust and grime that flies around back there will destroy your generator in no time if you don't protect it. 

GJ

• Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg