Fave campground or boondocking spot, ever?

Margaret

What has been your favorite camping spot for your Oliver, ever?  This includes anywhere in the U.S., Canada, or Mexico.  

Thank you, Margaret

This is where I've tent camped in the past, but Ollie is different, though a shorty might have made it up there.  

The Lost Man Campground in Colorado, 10k feet in altitude.  The yellow tent was mine.  Screenshot_20220722-000244_20220722000407414.jpg.6023bc06e4f1e5a3b4ef14c7064571e5.jpg

• Like 6

Margaret.  Oliver Legacy Elite II, 2017 (Jasmine).  Nissan Armada 2018.  Hull 179.  

• Moderators

One of my favorites  (and there are so many!) was on the Gaspe peninsula, Quebec. Most of the Provincial and national campgrounds were closed, so we "settled" for Camping Griffon. Simple rv park, we were one of maybe three campers there in early October, and we watched whales from our campsite. 

The owners were so very nice, even though we spoke little French, they spoke some pretty good English.  Our camper was so small, they gave us a seaside tent site. The showers were older but clean and heated, and a very short walk in the brisk evening!

Things have possibly changed. That's 12 or 14 years ago. But, the Gaspe is a beautiful drive.. do it north to south, if possible,  as you generally are on the land side,  not feeling like you're hanging out on the edge of the cliff (though you are, sometimes. )

• Like 8

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 7/22/2022 at 1:42 PM, SeaDawg said:

One of my favorites  (and there are so many!) was on the Gaspe peninsula, Quebec. Most of the Provincial and national campgrounds were closed, so we "settled" for Camping Griffon. Simple rv park, we were one of maybe three campers there in early October, and we watched whales from our campsite. 

The owners were so very nice, even though we spoke little French, they spoke some pretty good English.  Our camper was so small, they gave us a seaside tent site. The showers were older but clean and heated, and a very short walk in the brisk evening!

Things have possibly changed. That's 12 or 14 years ago. But, the Gaspe is a beautiful drive.. do it north to south, if possible,  as you generally are on the land side,  not feeling like you're hanging out on the edge of the cliff (though you are, sometimes. )

I’ve been to the Gaspe Peninsula!  I was there about 30 years ago, though, so I imagine things have indeed changed.  Yes, it was indeed magnificent.  An ex bf and I drove the entire peninsula, but we stayed in youth hostels, as this was before I had ever owned any tents or campers.  We went to Percé Rock, and also to a National park, name fails me.  We went up to the mountains and saw permafrost (still there???) and saw caribou,  It was cold, for summer!

• Like 5

Margaret.  Oliver Legacy Elite II, 2017 (Jasmine).  Nissan Armada 2018.  Hull 179.  

Dog Canyon campground, Guadalupe NP.  60 miles South of Carlsbad, NM, just barely over the border into Texas.  Only 4 RV sites.  No hookups but potable water and flush toilets nearby.  The 4 RV sites are close together but the hiking, scenery and wildlife are wonderful and the peacefulness is great.  I have been there three times now and two times was the ONLY camper in the whole campground for several days.  A bit out of the way but worth it.

https://www.nps.gov/gumo/planyourvisit/dog_canyon_campground.htm

• Like 9

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2022 at 8:13 AM, Mountainman198 said:

Dog Canyon campground, Guadalupe NP.  60 miles South of Carlsbad, NM, just barely over the border into Texas.  Only 4 RV sites.  No hookups but potable water and flush toilets nearby.  The 4 RV sites are close together but the hiking, scenery and wildlife are wonderful and the peacefulness is great.  I have been there three times now and two times was the ONLY camper in the whole campground for several days.  A bit out of the way but worth it.

https://www.nps.gov/gumo/planyourvisit/dog_canyon_campground.htm

That sounds just lovely, Mountainman!  It certainly beats those RV parks, where people are packed together like sardines!  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer to think we are still (always) in pursuit of our “favorite” boondocks camp spot 😊

So far I’d say it’s Devil’s Garden in Arches NP.  Incredible views, rock formations and hiking trails right in the campground.  Sunrise and sunsets were amazing

B3AA695B-9283-4C84-801B-6F7E728B0818.jpeg

B3784351-1F68-400C-A0C5-DDB287D0B39C.jpeg

153C8027-D2EF-4116-9068-753AD8F9AE8E.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1

2020 Elite II #627, 2021 Silverado 1500 3.0L Duramax, Colorado