America's Prettiest Drives

SeaDawg

• Moderators

With a few notable exceptions, the interstate is not always the most scenic way to get from "here" to "there". As many of us prefer to take the more scenic, often less traveled, often slower route when we can, I thought I'd share this website which can help you locate a more memorable drive:

http://www.byways.org/

This summer, we've driven at least parts of several scenic roads. Iowa's Scenic Byway along the Iowa River takes you through part of the historic Amana Colonies. The Great River Road, following the Mississippi River through Minnesota, Wisconsin, and northern Illinois provided some amazing views of the river, bluffs, valleys, and rich green farmland. The Ohio River Byway (we drove 52 from Cincinnati to South Point, OH), is undoubtedly one of the nicest river view roads we've ever followed, and the Kentucky Country Music Highway takes you through coal country, farmland, and small towns...making the drive through the area a pleasure instead of a chore. Sure, it takes a little longer, but a bonus is a wealth of small towns, beautiful views, COE campgrounds along the rivers, and a more relaxed driver at the end of the day.

Do you have local favorites you'd like to share?

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 months later...

OK, I'll play!

My sister lives near Thompson Falls, Montana, off Hwy 200. I picked up my "new" 1985 13' Casita from the seller in Missoula, and went to see her.

The whole length of that highway is delicious, as it follows the Clark Fork River. Done the drive both in the summer and fall, and so far, it's hands-down my favorite.

Here's an image from a google search I did on Highway 200 in Montana. Yup, pretty much sums it up:

http://www.pbase.com/redgum/image/84807851

• Moderators

Wow. Driving Highway 200 must have felt like driving through a beautiful painting! Beautiful.

Thanks for sharing that one!

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

A few weeks back, we found ourselves again on I 26, traveling from the Erwin, TN area to Asheville. In NC at least, a sign proclaims I 26 as a scenic byway... and oh, yes, it is, especially traveling from TN into NC.

Our friend traveling with us was experiencing "check engine" light problems, so we stopped at just about every rest area along the way, consulting with the nice folks at an Asheville Dodge dealership. I didn't get any photos, but this is posted on the web, and probably better photos than I would have taken, anyway:

after you scroll thru the first section of photos, click on the NC section, too.

On a clear day, the views are expansive and amazing, with layered mountains and deep valleys...

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 5 months later...
  • Moderators

TripAdvisor sent this link in an email today... It's that time of year when folks think about getting out on the road!

Of course, as a hotel-oriented website, there's an inn or two linked into each drive. Wish they listed campgrounds instead!

Anyway, 10 more vintage American drives

http://www.tripadvisor.com/InfoCenter-a_ctr.road__5F__trips

I don't think you have to be a member to view this part of the website.

Sherry

Happy Traveling!

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

This slideshow from the weather channel highlights some of the world's most amazing drives:

http://www.weather.com/travel/driving-scenic-drives/15-most-amazing-roads-20120816

Looking at some of them, I don't think I'd want to be towing even a small trailer....

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4