Creaking stabilizer Jack

Our left stabilizer Jack creaks a bit when flexed. The sound seems to be from the jack post rubbing on the fiberglass where it passes through the body. Hard to be sure, but this jack may have a bit more flex than the other one. All 4 bolts are tight. It's most noticable when the jack is lightly loaded. If I put a bit more weight on it, it seems to settle down. The other jack is quiet. Anybody else notice Jack noise like this? I attached a short video.

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

• Moderator+

There are four bolts associated with mounting the jacks. Two attach the mounting bracket to the jack tube. The other two attach the bracket to the trailer frame. Make sure all the are tightened down well. I believe all the bolts are carriage style so the nuts are easily tightened with no worries about the bolt spinning in the hole. The bracket to frame are accessible from underneath the trailer. The other two are accessed from under the bed. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 9

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Did you use a torque wrench for the mount nuts? They should be 43 foot pounds as per Service Department recommendation. Hand tight with a small ratchet is not tight enough.

Have a helper repeat that motion while you are inside, look and feel with your fingers for any movement at the head of the jack and where the bracket is attached to the side of the frame. Look for any signs of distress on the bracket itself, like a crack. It is possible that the jack or the hole in the hull is slightly mis-located (touching in one spot). If it all seems to be solid up top, you should file a service ticket. See what Oliver says, it could damage or crack the hull fiberglass if this continues for years. If they say it is trivial, just ignore it. It would require removing the jack and looking at the hull where it goes through, to see if there is a clearance issue… it might be something as simple as a small piece of debris wedged in the gap.

While you are inside, check the three (3/16”?) Allen screws that hold the gearbox to the round shaft. Some owners have found them to be loose or entirely missing 😳. There should be no movement between those parts. Check all three jack heads! Good luck.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/6781-how-to-service-your-rear-electric-jacks/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2
  • Like 5

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Our LEII started creaking and popping loudly during our second trip. But it sounds different than yours, at least on video. It happens walking around inside the trailer, moving in bed and using the steps. I used a stethoscope to isolate the source of the creaking to the street side stabilizer. I think ours is rubbing against the hull near the wheel and the hull resonates the sound like a speaker box.

Although the caulk prevents being able to seeing this the creaking stopped after loosening the bolts on the frame.

First I tried putting the stabilizers down which reduced the creaking when moving inside the trailer, not when using the steps. Next I loosened the bolts that's holding the support ring to the trailer then tightened down the bolts in different orders then test. Several iterations of this stopped the creaking while static. The creaking returned the next time I towed the trailer.

I've been able to manage the creaking while parked by running the stabilizers down to the ground then alternating them a little at a time until the popping stops. Fortunately this happens well before the wheels clear the ground. I also place a scissors jack under the steps which drastically reducing rocking of the trailer. This usually takes some tweaking at times, but I've been able to get it stable for days.

I was hoping to get this resolved at Oliver, but a cascade of events has prevented this from happening. Now I'm considering shaving off some of the fiberglass that is against the support myself someday.

Any recommendations for a caulking to use for this area?

step-support.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Jerry & Kathy

2019 LEII Standard #539 + 2019 Tundra Limited 4X4

@Corvus, yes, the same situation. I was able to stop the creaking at home by adjusting the aluminum "collar" under the trailer. Pretty proud of myself. Then we moved to a campground... Right back to creaking again. 😑 It does sound like rubbing on the fiberglass hull to me. Complicating matters: the rectangular hole in the mounting bracket under the bed was cut too large. (These appear to be cut by hand!)  As a result, the head of the carriage bolt "strips out" in the hole, so I can't torque that nut to the required 43 ft lb. When I get above 28 ft lb on that nut the carriage bolt turns in the bracket hole. 913275736_PXL_20220727_2107327772.thumb.jpg.2caff73ec3c0404659eb57cf54674d19.jpg

Service ticket submitted to see what OTT has to say about it.

• Sad 4

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

Stripped carriage bolts ….. darn it! Drill or grind the heads off, completely. Drive the shanks down and out the bottom with a brass drift. Replace them with hex head bolts and thick washers. Perhaps an hour’s labor IF you have good access up top. Oliver should definitely cover the repair! They are stainless, not that hard to drill, as you discovered when the square heads rounded off. (I have snapped a seized 1/2” bumper bolt into pieces with a regular breaker bar, to wasn’t TOO difficult.)

Hand cut square holes? That seems overly primitive for a factory, but these are special jacks I think, so that bracket defect probably is the jack manufacturer’s fault. 

Good luck, stuff like this makes you want to scream, doesn’t it?

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

15 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

As a result, the head of the carriage bolt "strips out" in the hole

Yikes, sorry to hear that. I can't check mine at the moment but the photo I took shows the holes are oversized. It also looks like my bracket may have shifted which may be the issue. I'll look into this closer first so thanks for posting this information.

Edit: Oh rats! John just pointed out this is a photo of my street side bracket, the creaking is on the curb side. I'll leave it since it does give an idea of how large the hole is.

jackBracket.thumb.jpg.4a12084a003f3c2766339c80296aab84.jpg

• Like 2

Jerry & Kathy

Corvus, this is just a FYI, it is not a big deal:

6620459B-EA0C-4599-A642-A695FBDD27B4.jpeg.b5c8f4a1fcacd73d2b6165d71b96b148.jpeg

Your silver shower hose loops around the dump cable. If you want to gain another foot or two of extension, reroute it so that all of the hose is on the same side, that way the cable won’t stop it prematurely. You will need to unscrew the hose at one end. That is kind of a weird setup, the hose just flops around among all the other parts. I have been trying to think of a way to retain it, a net bag for example…. for water drainage; any ideas?

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

Your silver shower hose loops around the dump cable.

Thanks John, I'll check it to make sure I didn't leave it that way. I experimented with a longer hose at one time so that was probably me not the factory. Something about that image was off but I guess I was too focused on the bracket to realize it's the street side bracket, the creaking is on the curb side.

The longer hose did not work out well for me. No good ideas yet on how to manage the hose with this system. I was hoping someone would find an upgrade for the outdoor water system and post a how-to about it.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Jerry & Kathy

• Moderator+
10 hours ago, John E Davies said:

That is kind of a weird setup, the hose just flops around among all the other parts. I have been trying to think of a way to retain it, a net bag for example…. for water drainage; any ideas?

9 hours ago, Corvus said:

I was hoping someone would find an upgrade for the outdoor water system and post a how-to about it.

I've been thinking about that same issue for going on 15 years now. I finally just straightened the hose and just never twist it while removing and replacing it. It works fine for me.

• Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderator+

As anyone who's every owned or driven a Corvette knows, fiberglass squeaks. I don't have the problem that you're talking about here but if I did it would be a simple fix to take the foot off the bottom of the jack, remove the nuts from the frame bolts, knock them back up into the the trailer and pull the jack out through the opening under the bed. Take a round file and enlarge the hole where it is rubbing on the jack. Reinstall the jack and re-caulk the hole. Done - maybe an hour?

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

As anyone who's every owned or driven a Corvette knows, fiberglass squeaks. I don't have the problem that you're talking about here but if I did it would be a simple fix to take the foot off the bottom of the jack, remove the nuts from the frame bolts, knock them back up into the the trailer and pull the jack out through the opening under the bed. Take a round file and enlarge the hole where it is rubbing on the jack. Reinstall the jack and re-caulk the hole. Done - maybe an hour?

That's my impression on how to tackle it too. Good to know I was on the right track. Circumstances have prevented me from being able to do the work myself, maybe in a few months. Anyhow I also considered removing the caulking then either add a thin piece of Teflon or use a dremel to remove some fiberglass. If those turn out not to be viable solutions then pull the jack. The Teflon would only be a temporary fix to buy more time.

After seeing the potential for stripped bolts I want some replacement bolts on hand too.

Any recommendations for caulking?

Jerry & Kathy

• Moderator+
4 hours ago, Corvus said:

Any recommendations for caulking?

I had both my rear jacks out recently for some maintenance. I just used some regular house caulking because that’s what I had on hand. All you’re doing is preventing water from the road being able to get into the hull. 

• Like 4