REI-Airstream Basecamp

Ralph Mawyer

1 hour ago, Ralph Mawyer said:

Makes the pricing and functionality on the Elite 1 look pretty nice…granted it is lighter.

Hi Ralph, 

I completely agree with you! 

Kirk

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

Wow, over $63K for that at a starting point. I was in one of those many years ago, was not impressed then but at this price of admission yeah the Elite I seems like a far better deal.

• Like 1

Legacy Elite II #70

• Moderators

I never even look at their prices. I have seen a lot of complaints on airforums, on the base camp. 

I'm super glad about our 2008 decision. And, we still enjoy our 2008 elite. Hull is great. Frame is great.  We just update as we wish. 15 seasons in, best trailer, ever. 

It's a bit heavy,  but so easy to tow. Do I wish we had a queen bed? Sure. I do.

I'm looking forward to the redesign , coming soon.

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

From what I understand there is a lot to complain about with all of the Airstreams too. On more than one occasion we have had AS owners come to us asking about the Oliver and also with a laundry list as long as your arm on the issues they have had with their AS. Base Camp excluded I do like the look and design of the AS trailers though, especially the interiors.

• Like 3

Legacy Elite II #70

Carrie and I thought we wanted an Airstream. Then we found Oliver Travel Trailers! 

• Like 2

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

• Moderators

I got that email from REI/Airstream this morning and watched their videos and read through the literature.  We’ve been in a Basecamp a couple of times and we weren’t overly impressed.  If you have to have a small Airstream I’d probably go for the small Bambi.

We were just at REI in San Antonio yesterday.  There’s an old Airstream food trailer that parks outside and has for a couple of years.  I didn’t check to see if it had an REI plaque on the side….  Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I found the inside of the base camp to be so dark inside. It’s the bright white interior of the Oliver and my previous AS Nest that attracted me to them. So nice and bright! I can’t say I had any issues with my AS and I still love Airstreams but they can’t beat the quality and customer service of an Oliver. 

• Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

On 7/28/2022 at 4:56 PM, Mike and Carol said:

If you have to have a small Airstream I’d probably go for the small Bambi.

Before ordering our Elite II, we tried to shop Airstreams, including the Bambi.  We contacted our local Airstream dealer in Boise, Idaho, asking to walk through and check out a Bambi.  We were told we could not, as all Airstreams on the lot had been pre-sold and could not be shown.  We were advised that if we wanted an Airstream, it would have to be ordered "sight unseen," based on the virtual tours available online.  That would be like buying a new truck without even driving it, or even one like it!  No thanks.

After thoroughly evaluating, inside and out, an Elite II owned by another Idaho resident, we ordered the Oliver.

Edited by Rivernerd
Clarification
  • Like 3

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

Early review showing all the defects in his year old Nest. This video was delayed because AS asked him not not publish it. Eventually he gave up and did upload it anyway. AS pawned everything off onto the local dealer, in the end everything was corrected to his satisfaction, and AS gave the owner a new 3 year warranty. But new failures piled up, so he got rid of it.

2019 Airstream Nest Defects: A REAL REVIEW

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/new-nest-owner-anyone-else-having-issues-195445.html

Yay Ollies! Some of the “bad” methods used by all Airstreams also apply to Olivers, such as using residential solid core 120VAC wire instead of premium marine grade multi-strand, and using cr@ppy “box store quality” outlets. At least we don’t have to deal with cabinets literally falling off the wall and rotted floors and frames…. the small amount of wood in an Ollie is non-structural and very well done, for the most part (I especially like the dovetailed drawers).

From a different thread there, about Nest being discontinued. 465 units were built, and one member commented “You can win in the market place with a better mouse trap, or with a cheaper mouse trap, but you can’t win with a poor mouse trap sold at a premium price.”

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

When the Base Camp came out we looked at them at an RV Show, we thought our Casita was a better deal at a much lower price. Do note, Airstream dealers were selling them at big discount just to get people to buy them, check todays used  prices, they are not that great. 

trainman

• Like 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

We did some research on the AS forums on the Base Camp and a few other models back in 2019-20 when we were looking to purchase a TT. Besides being way to small after seeing one at a local dealer, We then read on the AS forum all the complaints regarding water leaks with the BC other models resulting in rotting and molding floors.
Needless to say we never returned to the AS dealership in Greensboro, NC.

• Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg