Shower Curtain Kit

GPnBIRDIE

Shower Curtain Kit or not  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Finalizing Build Sheet now, curious for opinions regarding Shower Curtain option?

• Include Shower Curtain Kit
    • Exclude Shower Curtain Kit

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/30/2022 at 01:33 AM

• Moderators

Some people love their shower curtain, some people don’t have one and are happy.  We are in the second group.  It’s personal preference.  We like the extra space that not having a curtain affords.  We don’t mind doing the squeegee thing after a shower.  Some folks like keeping the toilet area dry.  Are you getting a regular toilet or composting?  Mike

• Like 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

In our 2008, (and in yours)  a shower curtain makes the shower area smaller. Just something to think about.

And, shower curtains are something else to clean. We designed our home for zero shower curtains,  no curbs, no glass doors.

The shower actually helps clean the bathroom.  Squeegee and microfiber, just like home.

We have the traditional toilet. If we had the nature's head, I'd probably drop a yard lawn bag over it, and call it done. Keep the bag . Dry it outside. 

• Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We are getting the composting toilet.  For people with a composting toilet, I have read it’s important to keep the water out of the #2 bin and the shower might cause problems if there isn’t a curtain. Is there some truth to this?

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Kirk Peterson said:

We are getting the composting toilet.  For people with a composting toilet, I have read it’s important to keep the water out of the #2 bin and the shower might cause problems if there isn’t a curtain. Is there some truth to this?

That’s what I’ve heard too, which is why I asked the question.  I have no first hand experience with the composting toilet so I really don’t know.  With the regular toilet no shower curtain is not a big deal and, as Sherry said, the bathroom stays quite clean without!  Mike

• Like 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

We don't have a composting toilet in the Ollie, but do have one in our barn. (It's a dry bath, though.)

Yes, it's important to keep ours dry. Different brand, but, keeping liquids out of solids is important. 

I think a big black trash bag or something similar would "cover the situation. " as in, keep water out of the toilet. That's what I think I'd do, in a wet bath. Just as easy as closing a shower curtain,  but more room to shower, imo. Take the wet bag out, hang it up with clothespins, and done.  I personally dislike shower curtains, and the cleaning required.

You might want to ask this in a separate thread. The composting toilet is so popular,  I'm sure you'll get some good answers. 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

59 minutes ago, Kirk Peterson said:

We have the composter and no curtain.  I would find the curtain constraining, and as others have mentioned, and would be yet something else to clean.  We find it easy enough to keep most of the water contained in the shower pan, and squeegee the rest.  Some water can collect in the container that holds the pee bottle, but that's really no big problem

In our last camper used a cut-to-size trash bag to protect the toilet -- worked well.  Another approach would be to hang a small, modified curtain between 2 Command hooks.

When boondocking, we use a solar shower bag for Navy showers.  We fill the bag at the galley sink (or hang the bag with campground water in the sun for a day) and hang it in the shower.  It takes a similar amount of water to fill the bag as to simply get the temperature adjusted with the regular shower.  Bottom line: we can be out longer without needing to refill the tank.  But don't get me wrong--those long showers when hooked up to city water are great!

• Like 3

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

1 hour ago, Kirk Peterson said:

We have a composting toilet, and no you don’t really want to get extra water in there especially if there is chlorine in the water. I am a little paranoid about getting water in the fan/ electrical connections also. so we just cover the toilet with a trash bag and then reuse trash bag when it is dry.

• Like 3

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648

We have the standard toilet and no shower curtain and honestly have never thought we needed one.
We use a squeegee on the walls and floor after a shower and it works great.

So no curtain for us, it would be just another item to clean.

• Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

I've ordered mine with no curtain. I had a Casita with the wet bath and never found it a big deal to dry off the bath.  Also, battling with a clingy shower curtain in a small space is no fun.

• Like 1

Southern Arizona | 2021 Ford F-150 | 2023 Oliver Elite II | Hull # 1319 | Delivery 3 Jan 2023

AZCALAMSNMTNTXsm.jpg

we ordered the curtain option and have a composting toilet. We used the curtain a couple of times and then tried without it. after a couple of showers without the curtain the compost was getting too moist and put off a foul odor. Added some more coir and bought a roll of clear large trash bags. Pulled the bag over the nature's head and have had several more showers since then without a problem. Let the bag dry and reuse it. I prefer the clear bags over the non-clear ones, it just seems nicer...

I think the only real advantage to the curtain is you can leave the door open while showering but closing  it across the toilet makes the shower too small for me. I vote against the curtain rod upgrade. 

BTH, if you do opt to try the curtain rod option, it includes a custom fitted curtain to the shape of the curved wall, so no need to buy one (like we did).

• Thanks 3

spacer.png

Albert & Terri Sterns

Paonia, Colorado

Elite II Hull #1125 Standard Floorplan / 2017 Ford F250 gas

We have the composting toilet and have never put the curtain up. We just use a large, industrial clear garbage bag over the toilet and that keeps it dry. 

• Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan