Sun Shade awnings that attach to extisting oliver awning

MarkC

Wondering about sunshades that attach to end of Oliver awning and staked to ground.   Looked online and there are many choices.  I'm concerned about ease of attachment to the Oliver awning.  One manufacturer shows in their video an existing slot that you just slide the shade into. Then stake to ground. Wondering if the Oliver awning has that slot?  If not, how are other shade attached to awning?  Picking up trailer Sept. 7.  Thanks!

• Like 2

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, MarkC said:

Wondering about sunshades that attach to end of Oliver awning and staked to ground.   Looked online and there are many choices.  I'm concerned about ease of attachment to the Oliver awning.  One manufacturer shows in their video an existing slot that you just slide the shade into. Then stake to ground. Wondering if the Oliver awning has that slot?  If not, how are other shade attached to awning?  Picking up trailer Sept. 7.  Thanks!

It depends.  I don’t know what awning Oliver is using right now.  My Fiamma awning has two slots that I use for my sunshade and sometimes lights.  My shade slides in very easily (short top section of 12”) then the big part zips onto the section connected to the awning.  I got my sunshade at Quartzsite at the big tent show.  There are similar shades on Amazon. I think the slot is called a Keder Rail.  You might ask your sales rep if the awnings they are using not have one.  Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

You can’t do that safely to an electric awning that automatically retracts if it gets too windy! You should read through the Oliver owner and other manuals to familiarize yourself with the systems. This is from the Girard awning manual.

EE4E4625-C343-4362-8F85-9C474F422020.thumb.jpeg.37fcb0b2b472fb48c4b781ebf688566a.jpeg

You could disconnect the wind sensor system, but that would not be prudent for a number of reasons. I think Oliver should continue to make a manual awning standard, with the power version as an option. 

It would be far better for you to get a free standing shelter like a Clam, a believe that a big sized one will fit over a picnic table. I don’t have one (I sometimes use a 10x10 free standing canopy, tied down) but there have been a number of threads here about shelters.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

It depends.  I don’t know what awning Oliver is using right now.  My Fiamma awning has two slots that I use for my sunshade and sometimes lights.  My shade slides in very easily (short top section of 12”) then the big part zips onto the section connected to the awning.  I got my sunshade at Quartzsite at the big tent show.  There are similar shades on Amazon. I think the slot is called a Keder Rail.  You might ask your sales rep if the awnings they are using not have one.  Mike

I should add that we do have the manual Fiamma with support legs.  I can stake them down and with the sunshade staked low to moderate winds don’t create a problem.

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

We have a shade screen but only use it on absolutely dead calm days (rarely).  We have the power Dometic awning, and as John mentioned above, you don’t want the awning trying to auto retract when the wind comes up if the awning is staked to the ground.  So when we do use the shade and have the awning staked down, I shut off the awning power at the switch on the interior cabin control panel.  And I keep a close watch on wind conditions, and take off the screen and the staked support poles at anything stronger than a mouse fart gust of wind.  The outer aluminum extrusion of the Dometic awning does have a slot running the full length that the awning rod slides into (see second photo).  

5B8E7790-AADD-443E-A693-0EACB0DC50A4.jpeg

D1F5A809-C9E5-4757-9E3C-70B8501B8A78.jpeg

B968C346-5853-4A74-AE00-AA3F66FC9C70.jpeg

• Like 2

FYI, winds out west can be completely unpredictable, you can get a sudden violent downburst out of the clear blue sky. I don’t use my awning much at all, and if I do put t out, I won’t leave the trailer for more than a few minutes with it extended.

This is interesting …. https://www.rotaryforum.com/threads/strange-weather-phenomenon-micro-micro-burst-on-a-clear-day.27314/.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg