Shelf Mounting - Best Methods?

technomadia

I am contemplating putting a shelf in the back left corner of our trailer, to hold our iPod speakers and hide the bundle of wires that hang down from our monitor. I would cut the wood in a curve, and mount it just above the silver strip.

But the question... What is the best way to attach the shelf?

Screws, glue, or rivets?

Has anyone got any advice on the best way to attach something to the inner fiberglass wall?

Thanks!

- Chris

I would think pop rivets would work, it's what Oliver uses for the bracket that holds the main dinette table. Oliver probably backed the fiberglass with metal washers to add holding strength, but if you aren't putting much weight on the shelf it should be OK. Rivet metal L-brackets to the wall and mount the shelf to those.

If you just want to hold the cables, you could do about anything. Screws or rivets into the inner hull should work, some sort of adhesive would also hold it up, but that would mean finding an adhesive that would bond with both materials and I am not familiar with bonding to fiberglass.

Super duty double stick works wonders on the smooth surfaces of the Oliver. I would be very cautious about using screw or rivets at the locations I picture you putting this shelf. There isn't much distance betweent he inner and outer walls in those location.