Plant visit/order questions and tankage understanding

Steve Morris

We are going to call Anita today and arrange a plant tour next Friday. Before the tour, we plan to see all of the trailers in the showroom and hopefully decide place an order when we're done!

I'm sure the ordering process is documented somewhere, but for my clarification, a couple of questions:
IF we decide to order, we put down a deposit. Is our order locked in then, or will there be a period of time where we can change the options?
Are there the equivalent of accessories available, such as branded clothing (I'm bald, so never without a hat), bedding, camp furniture, etc? I know a fire pit and gas grill are available in a package option, so I'm guessing other items are also available.

Tank size understanding:
We currently use a Cleanwaste Portable Toilet beside our Hiker, inside a separate shower/changing room, as well as campground bathrooms. We do our business in a bag with anti-stink powder in them, and then take them to a dumpster. Anything will be an improvement on that!  So we have no experience whatsoever with traditional trailer toilets and showers or composting toilets. 

For two people with well functioning digestive system, about how many days does the 15 gallon black tank last without using other bathrooms (campground, rest area while travelling, etc.) or without going to extremes like watering the flowers or not flushing TP? I think people with 5 gallon cassette toilets say about two days, so does six days for 15 gallons sound typical?

Ignoring which toilet we would chose, how many days does the gray tank typically last, again assuming not using other washing/showering options? Figure a shower for each of us on two out of three days, with Deb washing her hair every third day. I'm just guessing at ballpark numbers here, as we use body wipes and public showers with the Hiker. The hotter and more humid, the more we shower. And I'm guessing that the shower is the major water user, with dishes, washing hands, and flushing the toilet being lesser use? Maybe I'm completely wrong...

Those questions come back to the ordering question. If we order now, but have until November to finalize the build, we might rent a trailer locally to help answer some of these questions ourselves.

Thanks for any input!

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

As someone coming up on his 90-day limit to finalize my 2023 build, you can change anything on the build up till 90 days from the start of the build on your paperwork prepared in your initial order and deposit.   At that same time you need to have the 2nd payment to them which is 50% of the remaining balance based on the pricing of that finalized build sheet. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Mike & Marianne Hermann, Scottsdale AZ

2022 RAM 2500 Hemi 4x4

Elite II Hull #1337

You will have an initial payment of $2,500 when you place the order; that will get you in the queue.

We pick up our trailer in a couple of weeks so I don' have any water usage stats for you yet, but we did ordered the composting toilet. They are very popular according to Oliver and have a good amount of information concerning them on YouTube.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

David & Kim | Chattanooga, TN | 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4, Hemi 6.4 | Legacy Elite II Twin, Hull# 1213

OllietimeCanadianProvinces.jpg.1e1f1e5bcc91acfa35375b7652b3b852.jpgOllietime US States.jpg

We have come to campers from a 30 year history of backpacking & water conservation, so YMMV. Our 2022 Elite II twin is our 4th camper since 2008.

We spent 10 days in early July boondocking. Our biggest use of water is making 4-6 ginormous cups of good coffee daily. We have a composing toilet, which fits our wants and needs, so nothing goes into our black tank.  We emptied the urine container about every 2 days, at about the 2 gallon level each time.

After 10 days, the remaining fresh  tank was 31% full, the gray tank 63% full, according to our SeeLevel II monitor…they aren’t dead-to-rights accurate.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2022 Elite II Twin “Katie” Hull 997

2010 Toyota Sequoia 

If you want to boondock, avoid the flush toilet, it absolute EATS your fresh water supply. ... https://www.doityourselfrv.com/how-much-water-does-an-rv-toilet-use-per-flush/

Buy the Natures Head, learn its quirks, and don't look back. Two people using it daily means a trip to a toilet or privy every two to three days to empty the pee tank, unless you buy a second one. The solids part of this equation has ben discussed at length, look here: ...  https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/1978-nature039s-head-composting-toilet-installation-in-an-oliver-big-thread/

I keep a little stainless flip top trash bin beside the toilet, with a liner, ALL paper goes in there.

Fresh water is hard to quantify, when my wife is along we go through a tank in three days, including one navy shower each. I conserve a lot more than she, and smell more, and can go 8 to 10 days easily when I am solo. I carry an empty 6 gallon water jerry can (blue plastic) and have actually used it one time in five seasons. So usually finding a water source isn't that hard, unless you are dry camping for long periods. There are devices that allow you to get water from unauthorized sources, like a Water Bandit. Get one of those and you should be fine. If you can't connect the hose, your boondocking/ winterization port is your next step, just suck the water out of a can or bucket. Figure 3 quarts day in hot weather just in drinking water, that adds up fast! 1.5 gallons per day for a couple, over ten days, is half your tank volume. A navy shower is maybe 3 gallons, I use less than she because I have a lot less hair.

Grey water can be carefully emptied with a sewer adapter and a  3/4" garden hose in SOME places, like the open desert, you can run it off to under a sagebrush and let it trickle out overnight. I dump mine at home in the gravel driveway... 😉

It would certainly be educational to rent a stick and staple trailer for a week, it will let you experience the systems, especially dumping, and the poor build quality, and the latter will make you appreciate the Ollie all that more.

I will repeat myself, your LC200 will be "adequate" for towing an LE2 in the Eastern states, with the Andersen and airbags; you may find yourself wishing for the smaller LE when you travel out West, That would be a stellar combination for many reasons. I think yours is a Heritage edition? If so, good, you don't have to remove that pesky third row or buy proper LT tires.... do you know your payload?

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2
  • Like 4

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

We have a 2019 EII with the standard toilet.

Tanks on 2019 were specified as :
Fresh = 30gal - more like 28Gallons
Grey = 30 Gal 
Black = 18 Gal (Now 15 Gallons reported in later models.)

The NEWER Specs from 2023 data sheet are shown below:

Fresh Water Tank Capacity Design Capacity 32 Gal.
Grey Water Tank Capacity Design Capacity 32 Gal.
Black Water Tank Capacity Design Capacity 15 Gal.

Use Case: Boondocking sites...no restroom or pit toilets.
We take very short (Navy) showers, wash hair outside or in a basin, and use wipes every other day.

Black: Boondocking the black tank fills between 3-5 days. (If there are pit toilets or other facilities then we can get to 6 days.)
Grey: Typically lasts 8 days.  We've not typically had an issue with GREY filling up.

For Boondocking, the toilet really is the limiting factor, and many have specifically chosen the compositing toilet for that reason if they plan to do a lot of boondocking.

Craig

Hull 505

Edited by Galway Girl
edited specs on tank sizes...
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 5

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, Galway Girl said:

We take very short (Navy) showers, wash hair outside or in a basin, and use wipes every other day.

Black: Boondocking the black tank fills between 3-5 days. (If there are pit toilets or other facilities then we can get to 6 days.)
Grey: Typically lasts 8 days.  We've not typically had an issue with GREY filling up.

For Boondocking, the toilet really is the limiting factor, and many have specifically chosen the compositing toilet for that reason if they plan to do a lot of boondocking.

Our numbers are about the same.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I agree with the numbers you are seeing here.  We dry camped for 10 days this past June with a NH toilet on board.

Grey: about 80% full at the end - we did dishes once per day and reserved that water to put out the nightly campfire.  We each showered every 3 days or so.

Fresh: We started with a full fresh tank, refilled with about 15 gallons through the boondocking port (we have a filtering jerrycan that worked extraordinarily well to fill from a creek), and had separate drinking water of about 15 gallons. Ended the trip with about 6 gallons in the fresh tank.

Composting toilet:  we emptied the pee bucket about every other day.  We drink a lot, and pee a lot.  The solids required no maintenance other than stirring.  We put all TP in a separate lined waste basket.

mb

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

• Moderator+
1 hour ago, Galway Girl said:

We have a 2019 EII with the standard toilet.

Tanks are:
Fresh = 30gal - more like 28Gallons
Grey = 30 Gal 
Black = 18 Gal

Craig

Hull 505

The black tank on trailers currently being delivered is 15 gallons. 

• Like 5

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

I ordered my Elite II on July 7th this year with a $2500.  The buyer has 7 days to cancel without penalty.  After that, Oliver will retain $1500.  My trailer goes into production around November 20th.  I have to either pay the remainder of the 50% deposit by August 20th (3 months prior to the start of production), or have approved financing plus a total of 15% of the purchase price paid by then.  The buyer can add or delete options until the time the 2nd deposit is made (i.e., 90 days prior to production start).  

As for boondocking, I have only done so for a few days at a time.  To avoid filling the grey water tank, we wash dishes outside using collapsible basins (one with soapy water and the other with rinse water).  We take quick Navy showers, or use an outdoor solar shower with shower tent.  We also bring drinking water in one gallon jugs to avoid using the fresh water tank.

Enjoy your visit to Oliver, and best wishes on whatever you decide.  I'll be taking the Oliver factory tour in September, but by then I will already have placed my 2nd deposit.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Southern Arizona | 2021 Ford F-150 | 2023 Oliver Elite II | Hull # 1319 | Delivery 3 Jan 2023

AZCALAMSNMTNTXsm.jpg

5 hours ago, Galway Girl said:

Thank you, Craig! That's exactly the sort of info I was after.

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

4 hours ago, VBistro said:

I agree with the numbers you are seeing here.  We dry camped for 10 days this past June with a NH toilet on board.

Grey: about 80% full at the end - we did dishes once per day and reserved that water to put out the nightly campfire.  We each showered every 3 days or so.

Fresh: We started with a full fresh tank, refilled with about 15 gallons through the boondocking port (we have a filtering jerrycan that worked extraordinarily well to fill from a creek), and had separate drinking water of about 15 gallons. Ended the trip with about 6 gallons in the fresh tank.

Composting toilet:  we emptied the pee bucket about every other day.  We drink a lot, and pee a lot.  The solids required no maintenance other than stirring.  We put all TP in a separate lined waste basket.

mb

Great info. Thanks!

• Like 1

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

17 minutes ago, AZ Wonderer said:

I ordered my Elite II on July 7th this year with a $2500.  The buyer has 7 days to cancel without penalty.  After that, Oliver will retain $1500.  My trailer goes into production around November 20th.  I have to either pay the remainder of the 50% deposit by August 20th (3 months prior to the start of production), or have approved financing plus a total of 15% of the purchase price paid by then.  The buyer can add or delete options until the time the 2nd deposit is made (i.e., 90 days prior to production start).  

As for boondocking, I have only done so for a few days at a time.  To avoid filling the grey water tank, we wash dishes outside using collapsible basins (one with soapy water and the other with rinse water).  We take quick Navy showers, or use an outdoor solar shower with shower tent.  We also bring drinking water in one gallon jugs to avoid using the fresh water tank.

Enjoy your visit to Oliver, and best wishes on whatever you decide.  I'll be taking the Oliver factory tour in September, but by then I will already have placed my 2nd deposit.  

Thank you!

• Like 1

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

We have a standard toilet/black tank. Toilet paper goes in the tank with everything else.

We spent 5 days dry camping in a state park with the park bathrooms readily accessible, so we only used the black tank overnight/wake up. Careful with water and 2 navy showers each. Tank readings at the end were: Fresh 38%, Grey: 38%, Black 31%. 

We spent a week with full hookups, taking longer showers and using the trailer bathroom exclusively and I found myself dumping the tanks roughly every 1.5 days.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

We purchased our Oliver in 2019, Oliver offered no accessories for sale at that time, but today with a display area they could have some available for sale. The two outside LP Quick Connectors are a must for all LP accessories you might want to add and I would defiantly purchase a Camco Honey Pot as the 18 gal. Black Tank is too small for camping over 4 days without sewer hookups. We do not Boondock so many of the upgrades do not interest us, but order your trailer for you personal needs as many accessories do add up to several dollars and talking with other Oliver owners they don't use many of the accessories they paid for. 

trainman

• Like 2

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

50 minutes ago, Steph and Dud B said:

We have a standard toilet/black tank. Toilet paper goes in the tank with everything else.

We spent 5 days dry camping in a state park with the park bathrooms readily accessible, so we only used the black tank overnight/wake up. Careful with water and 2 navy showers each. Tank readings at the end were: Fresh 38%, Grey: 38%, Black 31%. 

We spent a week with full hookups, taking longer showers and using the trailer bathroom exclusively and I found myself dumping the tanks roughly every 1.5 days.

Thank you! Good information to help us understand.

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

Unless you specifically want accessories with the Oliver logo on them most of the things Oliver sells in their small store can be purchased elsewhere for less. Check out our blog, listed in my signature, for details and reviews about some of the items we purchased.

• Like 2

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

23 minutes ago, Trainman said:

We purchased our Oliver in 2019, Oliver offered no accessories for sale at that time, but today with a display area they could have some available for sale. The two outside LP Quick Connectors are a must for all LP accessories you might want to add and I would defiantly purchase a Camco Honey Pot as the 18 gal. Black Tank is too small for camping over 4 days without sewer hookups. We do not Boondock so many of the upgrades do not interest us, but order your trailer for you personal needs as many accessories do add up to several dollars and talking with other Oliver owners they don't use many of the accessories they paid for. 

trainman

Thanks! Yep, the external propane connections are on the list. And, having played with various option combinations, it definitely adds up fast. Sue and Matt's trailer that wee looked at on Saturday had a lot of the options, yet their 2021 price was not much more than the base price today!!

Here's where we're at right now:
Elite II Twin Bed
Upgraded Mattresses
Fabric Upgrade - Undecided until we see the standard in person
Hypervent
Omnidirectional Antenna (local weather etc. if we don't have cell service)
Street Side Awning
Frosted Doors
Convection Microwave - Undecided - More research needed
20 Gallon Propane (to keep tongue weight down)
Front/Rear Propane Quick-Connects
Toilet - Undecided
Full Truma Package - AC, Furnace, Water Heater - Antifreeze kit undecided
Lithium
Backup Camera - Probably have Oliver install system of our cloosing
Anderson Hitch - I see no reason to spend $350 more for the 2-5/16 version
Aluminum Storage Basket - Undecided - I see using it the last miles for firewood or wet gear after a rainy night. Not for a generator or water storage
Basement Door
No Graphics

Thanks for everyone's input!! We are heading out today for four days camping in our 5X8 squaredrop and it is in the high 80s with 80-90% humidity with some rain forecast each day. Right after we get home, we'll have one day to catch up, and then head south (motels) to go to Makers Mark and then Oliver on Friday. The recent memory of those conditions might have a lot to do with placing an order. 🙂

• Like 2

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

15 minutes ago, Steph and Dud B said:

Unless you specifically want accessories with the Oliver logo on them most of the things Oliver sells in their small store can be purchased elsewhere for less. Check out our blog, listed in my signature, for details and reviews about some of the items we purchased.

Thank you! All I really see needing is an Oliver hat, and then only if it isn't mesh. I was mostly curious what else they offer. We'll see for ourselves in eight days!

• Like 1

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

27 minutes ago, Steve and Deb said:

Here's where we're at right now:

We like our upgraded mattresses and street side awning. Wish we could have gotten the Truma A/C. Lithium is great. Front storage basket helps make up for limited exterior storage. I keep my slippers and sandals in the basement via the inside hatch. The Furrion rear camera is pretty good. Not sure if they'll install a different one.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Just to give a little more data on water use... we have the composting toilet and carry separate drinking water containers to have good tasting water w/o needing to filter from the trailer tanks and wonder what isn't being filtered out. With the two of us taking parsimonious showers each day (somewhat trained from van camping with a 2 gallon hand pump sprayer type shower setup, where we tended to use less than the full 2 gallon tank capacity per shower even with hair washing) and similarly frugal dish washing (trained from backpacking and further assisted by use of Chinette paper plates...) we have gone seven days with at least some fresh water and grey water space left. I will probably replace the stock shower head with a high pressure/low flow head sometime soon as I'm sure this will further extend time possible between dump/fill visits.

BTW we can go at least 3 weeks between dumping the contents of the composting tank (as others have noted we dump the pee every few days whether it's full or not as the contents get progressively funkier by the day which is something btw that you'll only notice while actully doing the dumping). And with breaks in-between trips it seems we can go for a decent bit more as the volume shrinks back down a surprising amount over time with periodic agitation and moistening. We put TP into the toilet btw - the only downside we've had is that it makes turning the crank a bit hard at times, but not so hard as to motivate us to come up with a separate TP disposal strategy. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

11 minutes ago, Jim_Oker said:

Just to give a little more data on water use... we have the composting toilet and carry separate drinking water containers to have good tasting water w/o needing to filter from the trailer tanks and wonder what isn't being filtered out. With the two of us taking parsimonious showers each day (somewhat trained from van camping with a 2 gallon hand pump sprayer type shower setup, where we tended to use less than the full 2 gallon tank capacity per shower even with hair washing) and similarly frugal dish washing (trained from backpacking and further assisted by use of Chinette paper plates...) we have gone seven days with at least some fresh water and grey water space left. I will probably replace the stock shower head with a high pressure/low flow head sometime soon as I'm sure this will further extend time possible between dump/fill visits.

BTW we can go at least 3 weeks between dumping the contents of the composting tank (as others have noted we dump the pee every few days whether it's full or not as the contents get progressively funkier by the day which is something btw that you'll only notice while actully doing the dumping). And with breaks in-between trips it seems we can go for a decent bit more as the volume shrinks back down a surprising amount over time with periodic agitation and moistening. We put TP into the toilet btw - the only downside we've had is that it makes turning the crank a bit hard at times, but not so hard as to motivate us to come up with a separate TP disposal strategy. 

Thank you, Jim! Even more good information to absorb. 

When visiting our daughter at Seattle Pacific University, we’d stay out in Bothell. So we were in your neighborhood when we had our first ever MOD Pizza, and went to the Molback Garden Center. Plus another restaurant that I can’t recall. 

One really shocking surprise in Bothell was pulling up at a drive through coffee shop and seeing a mostly naked barista!! 😳 we don’t have those in the Cleveland area. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

I have not seen that particular barista but I do know that "bikini baristas" are a thing in our region particularly at some of the little drive-through shack type stands that you see as you head up the river valleys toward the mountains.

• Moderators

Personally, I would hope that Oliver would "uncouple" the water heater from the Truma package.

Imo, the standard six gallon is easier for metering/saving water, if the owners like to boondock. We have a tankless water heater (Girard), and it's never given us a lick of problems, but the former 6 gallon suburban was easy to use, and you knew when the water started getting chilly that it was time to quit. We'd turn it on for 10 to 20 minutes or so, use the hot water side only for showers. (Avoids the cold water sandwich.)  I heat (to this day) dishwashing water in a teakettle, to conserve water. Heat water in a teakettle for birdbaths, face wash, etc. 

Truma and other endless hot water heaters are great for those who routinely camp with full hookups, imo.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

3 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

I heat (to this day) dishwashing water in a teakettle, to conserve water.

We've been running hot water into a couple of rubbermaid wash basins for washing and rinsing, which also helps ration a measured amount out for the task. Unless near a campground spigot, in which case we'll heat that water in a pot on the stove for washing dishes, though with the grey and fresh tanks the same size that only works repeatedly if some water goes elsewhere (we drink from separate containers).

• Like 2