Calmark cover

Katjo

I have a few question for those that have experience with the Calmark cover. We are considering purchasing one but I wonder how difficult is it to put on? We have the solar panels, does that make it trickier to pull the cover over them? With our previous fiberglass camper (AS Nest) we were advised by AS not to cover it as the covers can scratch the gel coat. Has anyone had any issues with the finish on the Oliver marring from having the cover on? Any other pros and cons/advice about it would be appreciated. Thank you 

• Like 2

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

Hi Katjo

I also gave this great thought last year before I picked up our trailer. I can't store it where I live so I keep it at a friend's property about three hours away. It's not covered. I consulted with SeaDawg who told me that they've never covered their trailer either and simply wash it and wax it twice a year with good quality marine products. I've done the same and so far so good. It cleans up very nicely. So, if your primary concern is about keeping the gelcoat clean and shiny, I think you'll be OK without a cover.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2021 Elite II #841, 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4, 3.0 diesel

7 hours ago, Cameron said:

Hi Katjo

I also gave this great thought last year before I picked up our trailer. I can't store it where I live so I keep it at a friend's property about three hours away. It's not covered. I consulted with SeaDawg who told me that they've never covered their trailer either and simply wash it and wax it twice a year with good quality marine products. I've done the same and so far so good. It cleans up very nicely. So, if your primary concern is about keeping the gelcoat clean and shiny, I think you'll be OK without a cover.

Thank you, Cameron. I’am concerned about the gel coat but I’m also concerned about the snow and ice on the solar panels.🤔

• Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

6 hours ago, Patriot said:

“Ollie Hangar” located on Blueberry Hill 

That looks great Patriot!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

8 hours ago, Katjo said:

We would love to build a similar Ollie Hangar (that set up is so beautiful in the photo)!!😍

If you ever decide to order/build an “Ollie Hangar” shoot me a pm. We learned quite few important details in our due diligence while vetting and selecting a business that sells and builds steel structures. 👍🏻

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Patriot said:

If you ever decide to order/build an “Ollie Hangar” shoot me a pm. me We learned quite few important details in our due diligence while vetting and selecting a business that sells and builds steel structures. 👍🏻

Will do! Thank you so much. 

• Like 2

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• Moderators

Love it, and love the "back stage." Just like camping, at home. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Katjo said:

Thank you, Cameron. I’am concerned about the gel coat but I’m also concerned about the snow and ice on the solar panels.🤔

@Katjo, I  know you're in Michigan,  but I don't know where. You might want to talk with @dewdev or @Mainiac,  both in Maine, plenty of snow. Pretty sure both store their trailers outside.

Snow melts pretty fast, usually,  on the darker faces of solar panels. I'd be more worried about snow load and freeze/thaw at roof penetrations. What's your average winter snow accumulation? 

I have a friend in Iowa who stored hers outside for a few years, without issue. We winter in Florida,  so the most snow accumulation we've seen is a few inches, early winter camping. The folks in the northern latitudes can tell you much more.

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We live in New Hampshire and store our Ollie uncovered in the driveway.  David clears most of the snow off after storms and that keeps the solar panels charging enough so that we almost never have to plug in to shore power. We give it a quick wash after each camping trip and wax 2-3 times a year.  Ours is a 2019 and so far it still looks good. Paula

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

@Katjo, I  know you're in Michigan,  but I don't know where. You might want to talk with @dewdev or @Mainiac,  both in Maine, plenty of snow. Pretty sure both store their trailers outside.

Snow melts pretty fast, usually,  on the darker faces of solar panels. I'd be more worried about snow load and freeze/thaw at roof penetrations. What's your average winter snow accumulation? 

I have a friend in Iowa who stored hers outside for a few years, without issue. We winter in Florida,  so the most snow accumulation we've seen is a few inches, early winter camping. The folks in the northern latitudes can tell you much more.

@SeaDawg I’m in Southeast Michigan.  Average is approx 64” a year. I’m torn between using a cover or not. 

• Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, Katjo said:

@SeaDawg I’m in Southeast Michigan.  Average is approx 64” a year. I’m torn between using a cover or not. 

I'm torn on that.  I suspect a cover "might " make it harder to clear snow, in a dump snowfall like my younger days in Minnesota. 

A hard sided cover, like @Patriot's, rated for snow load, would obviously be ideal. But wind driven snow could still be an issue. 

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

13 hours ago, GraniteStaters said:

We live in New Hampshire and store our Ollie uncovered in the driveway.  David clears most of the snow off after storms and that keeps the solar panels charging enough so that we almost never have to plug in to shore power. We give it a quick wash after each camping trip and wax 2-3 times a year.  Ours is a 2019 and so far it still looks good. Paula

Thank you, Paula.👍🏼💗

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

20 hours ago, Katjo said:

Hi Katjo:

I and Maniac and a number of other owner's in Maine keep our Olivers outside and do not cover them.

Our average snowfall along the coast is 50" to 70" and inland is 60" to 110" in Maine. Along the coast where I live, we can get a storm that drops 10" or more in one day.

I do not remove my AGM batteries and the solar panels always keep the batteries at or near 100%. Although not necessary, if the snowfall is over 8", I will brush the snow off the solar panels just so they start charging sooner. If it is less than 8", I let the snow melt off the panels. It will melt after a couple days.

I have not seen any sign of UV degration of the gelcoat with my 2018 Elite II (sun is not that strong in the north). I do wash and apply 2 coats of wax in the spring, wash it as needed in the summer and install one coat of wax half way through the summer. In the fall, as part of winterizing the water system, I will wash and wax the Oliver.

I used to put a cover on my 34' Luhrs sportfisherman as well as a 24' T-Top boat and it was a hard task as the cover was heavy not easy to move around.

If you buy a cover for your Oliver you will need to provide a protection (and secure the protection) on the sharp edges as  Patriot suggested above.

Now that I am older, I would not consider a cover as they are not necessary. Maybe different where he sun is stron and there is a lot of smog.

Hope this information helps you in making a decision.  

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

4 hours ago, dewdev said:

Hi Katjo:

I and Maniac and a number of other owner's in Maine keep our Olivers outside and do not cover them.

Our average snowfall along the coast is 50" to 70" and inland is 60" to 110" in Maine. Along the coast where I live, we can get a storm that drops 10" or more in one day.

I do not remove my AGM batteries and the solar panels always keep the batteries at or near 100%. Although not necessary, if the snowfall is over 8", I will brush the snow off the solar panels just so they start charging sooner. If it is less than 8", I let the snow melt off the panels. It will melt after a couple days.

I have not seen any sign of UV degration of the gelcoat with my 2018 Elite II (sun is not that strong in the north). I do wash and apply 2 coats of wax in the spring, wash it as needed in the summer and install one coat of wax half way through the summer. In the fall, as part of winterizing the water system, I will wash and wax the Oliver.

I used to put a cover on my 34' Luhrs sportfisherman as well as a 24' T-Top boat and it was a hard task as the cover was heavy not easy to move around.

If you buy a cover for your Oliver you will need to provide a protection (and secure the protection) on the sharp edges as  Patriot suggested above.

Now that I am older, I would not consider a cover as they are not necessary. Maybe different where he sun is stron and there is a lot of smog.

Hope this information helps you in making a decision.  

Thank you so much for the info. I have such trepidation about covering it being Airstream was so adamant about not covering my fiberglass Nest. We never had any issues leaving it uncovered and did exactly the same as you, waxed it Spring, Summer and before Winter with a good marine wax. We’ve never had solar though so the panels are another concern I have but I’m happy to hear you had no issues with yours uncovered and have similar Winter snowfall amounts as I do here in Mi.
Thank you again, I really appreciate the info. 

• Like 3

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

Unfortunately, we need to store our LE2 outside away from our house, and lots of tree debris fell on the top and got stuck between roof & awnings. Was a pain to wash away. If you have trees nearby where she sits, and if she’s there for awhile, a cover might be a good idea. I covered my sailboats and the topsides gelcoat never got damaged, but I took precautions to ensure the cover didn’t rub the gelcoat or flap on it when the wind picked up.

• Like 3

‘22 Ram 1500 4x4 Eco-diesel | ‘22 OTT LE2 hull # 1056 | Eastern VA

I'm using Calmark cover. It's very easy for me to put the cover on by myself. I usually start from the back to front. The key is to fold the cover into a very small roll so I can unroll easily from the back and spread to the sides.

Here, starting from the back using a ladder, climb one hand and the roll of cover on the shoulder. Put the cover behind the AC, unroll it over to the front of the AC using a pole.

0C0D7C31-CAFB-4B70-AAB0-7699AF7A6FA5.thumb.jpeg.8d0ceb7c3128f87f5545809ed121611e.jpeg

1FAAE891-51D7-43E1-AA06-45C441AD56B2.thumb.jpeg.9307d58f2c7b90013be7dff662315609.jpeg

7D5EEB62-E7A2-451C-B79F-B26099D562B5.thumb.jpeg.e33944ac5f24ed2f9d338dcea03ba89d.jpeg

I also use pool noodle to cover sharp edges of the solar panels.

Once the cover is unrolled entirely, spread it on both sides starting from the back. 

AC2DC22E-7339-4A7F-AABD-7B317ADA5FE5.thumb.jpeg.611c2c3aec1ef330219a8c6ed8ab16cb.jpeg

EBB7ACD5-3E97-4747-ADBC-BB6C17D5BBE8.thumb.jpeg.357ef4bf28d8c357913a817536bfebb5.jpeg

Now the final product after using bungee cords to tie it snug.

B633AEB9-5ABC-4EB5-B13E-1467B2841B06.thumb.jpeg.6066801cb80cc6ba091aefb718f771e6.jpeg

DC133EFA-F5AA-4879-9813-5A437EAEBF95.thumb.jpeg.40484c1c4c957cf545dd521dac4f1091.jpeg

E9D2B491-6CCA-4619-91A1-9F9C629BDE64.thumb.jpeg.c4bb09c7f23265766b64f170bd1ab3f2.jpeg

I don't used the ropes from Calmark. They only provide 4 ropes. I use 12-15 bungee cords and find that much easier to work with. I also don't cover the rear bumper.

I can do this alone within 30 minutes if I really want to but I usually take my time and take special care around a ladder and end up being 45-60 minutes.

Taking the cover down is much easier and much quicker. You just climb a ladder on one side and lift the cover to the roof then carefully pull on the opposite side.

The key here is the roll the cover into a really small roll. I'd recommend taking pictures how it was rolled when you get the cover from Oliver.

Hope this helps. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #854
2021 Ford Expedition Platinum

I used to hang around a seasonal campground. I have seen covers, that had flapped around all winter, 'buff' the paint off SOBs (Some Other Brands). If they used a tarp, even worse. Let alone a good snow fall could end up freezing the cover to the ground. Cover frozen to the ground means no entrance to the unit to check nside, unless you destroy the cover. Also you still want to remove too much of a load off the AC and solar panels. Hard to remove the load without damaging a cover? I have had an inch of ice and maybe 9 to 12" of snow on top of that and according to the solar controller inside it was still charging. Haven't plugged it in since bringing it home in 2017, where it rest between trips. Wish I was as ambitious as these others when it comes to waxing. A quick Maquires Wash and Wax twice a year is all I have done. However this Fall I fully intend to wax and buff...

• Like 5

I don't get a lot of snow in eastern Washington and it usually melts away during the day but I wonder if it helps if putting one those heating cable on the roof beneath the cover. Of course you would need access to shore power.

image.thumb.png.dabd6112ad5409f203dfbab5ba968e1e.png

• Like 3

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #854
2021 Ford Expedition Platinum

13 hours ago, Sak said:

I'm using Calmark cover. It's very easy for me to put the cover on by myself. I usually start from the back to front. The key is to fold the cover into a very small roll so I can unroll easily from the back and spread to the sides.

Here, starting from the back using a ladder, climb one hand and the roll of cover on the shoulder. Put the cover behind the AC, unroll it over to the front of the AC using a pole.

0C0D7C31-CAFB-4B70-AAB0-7699AF7A6FA5.thumb.jpeg.8d0ceb7c3128f87f5545809ed121611e.jpeg

1FAAE891-51D7-43E1-AA06-45C441AD56B2.thumb.jpeg.9307d58f2c7b90013be7dff662315609.jpeg

7D5EEB62-E7A2-451C-B79F-B26099D562B5.thumb.jpeg.e33944ac5f24ed2f9d338dcea03ba89d.jpeg

I also use pool noodle to cover sharp edges of the solar panels.

Once the cover is unrolled entirely, spread it on both sides starting from the back. 

AC2DC22E-7339-4A7F-AABD-7B317ADA5FE5.thumb.jpeg.611c2c3aec1ef330219a8c6ed8ab16cb.jpeg

EBB7ACD5-3E97-4747-ADBC-BB6C17D5BBE8.thumb.jpeg.357ef4bf28d8c357913a817536bfebb5.jpeg

Now the final product after using bungee cords to tie it snug.

B633AEB9-5ABC-4EB5-B13E-1467B2841B06.thumb.jpeg.6066801cb80cc6ba091aefb718f771e6.jpeg

DC133EFA-F5AA-4879-9813-5A437EAEBF95.thumb.jpeg.40484c1c4c957cf545dd521dac4f1091.jpeg

E9D2B491-6CCA-4619-91A1-9F9C629BDE64.thumb.jpeg.c4bb09c7f23265766b64f170bd1ab3f2.jpeg

I don't used the ropes from Calmark. They only provide 4 ropes. I use 12-15 bungee cords and find that much easier to work with. I also don't cover the rear bumper.

I can do this alone within 30 minutes if I really want to but I usually take my time and take special care around a ladder and end up being 45-60 minutes.

Taking the cover down is much easier and much quicker. You just climb a ladder on one side and lift the cover to the roof then carefully pull on the opposite side.

The key here is the roll the cover into a really small roll. I'd recommend taking pictures how it was rolled when you get the cover from Oliver.

Hope this helps. 

@Sak These pictures are so helpful! Thank you for the tips and photos.👍🏼

• Like 4

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
14 hours ago, Katjo said:

With the Calmark Cover on do the solar panels still charge the batteries? 

No and CalMark will not sew in clear panels or openings to allow the solar panels to do their thing.

If you choose to have a cover your choices are either to remove the batteries and store them elsewhere^ or get shore power to where you store the Ollie, or, use a small (25 to 50 watt) solar panel to charge the batteries - assuming of course that this small panel can get sun.

Bill

edit:  ^ of course this pertains to either lead acid or AGM's.  Other choices are (perhaps) possible for lithium batteries.

Edited by topgun2
added detail
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

@Katjo, I assume your question concerns longer term storage.    I recall your trailer has Lithionics batteries.  LiFePOH do not need to be kept charged up like AGM’s.  From what I’ve read on this forum, Lithionics batteries have a switch that can be turned OFF, therefore no parasitic draws to deplete your batteries.  Consult your manual for details.  

• Thanks 3
  • Like 1

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250