Calmark cover

Katjo

You never told us where you store the Ollie, beside your house? At a facility?

If snow load is your concern and you only have one awning you can tilt the panel so snowfall will never accumulate, but you still will need to get it off the roof, so you don’t have to worry about freeze thaw cycles making destructive ice dams.

D3EE34A1-2F00-4679-81B2-BB466F34AD5E.thumb.jpeg.42df0f7d79531a58a4993bc6afc077d0.jpeg

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2791-how-to-solar-panel-extension-arms/

I have never done this where high winds might occur. I am not sure if it is any riskier than lying flat.

A fixed outside shelter is by FAR a better long term solution, if you have a place for one and codes allow it. A fabric cover is the worst solution for many reasons, including how do you clean it properly, to remove destructive grit. It is a truly huge piece of material. Any dirt on the gel coat or inside the cover will cause scratches! I had one long ago and it gave me ulcers. 😬 Never again!

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

2 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

You never told us where you store the Ollie, beside your house? At a facility?

If snow load is your concern and you only have one awning you can tilt the panel so snowfall will never accumulate, but you still will need to get it off the roof, so you don’t have to worry about freeze thaw cycles making destructive ice dams.

D3EE34A1-2F00-4679-81B2-BB466F34AD5E.thumb.jpeg.42df0f7d79531a58a4993bc6afc077d0.jpeg

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2791-how-to-solar-panel-extension-arms/

I have never done this where high winds might occur. I am not sure if it is any riskier than lying flat.

A fixed outside shelter is by FAR a better long term solution, if you have a place for one and bodes allow it. A fabric cover is the worst solution for many reasons, including how do you clean it properly, to remove destructive grit. It is a truly huge piece of material. I had one long ago and it gave me ulcers. 😬 Never again!

John Davies

Spokane WA

We store outside in our backyard, we have 30 amp so we can plug in anytime. We do not have space to build a structured cover hence we are considering using the cover. There are such mix revues about covers. I would think if a fabric cover “is the worst solution” Oliver wouldn’t sell them with their brand logo on it.🤷🏻‍♀️

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

2 hours ago, Katjo said:

I would think if a fabric cover “is the worst solution” Oliver wouldn’t sell them with their brand logo on it.🤷🏻‍♀️

The Oliver Trailer Company is not an ultimate authority, they often make mistakes during the build and they make very odd engineering decisions for no decernable reason, like the infamous 11/4" bike receiver.... The great thing about the Internet is you can go to a bunch of trailer forums, read reviews and comments from actual owners, and decide for yourself if the benefits outweigh all the negatives and increased labor.

I would leave "Mouse" out in the open all winter before than I would a cloth cover on it. I am just very glad I don't have to...

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

8 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

The Oliver Trailer Company is not an ultimate authority, they often make mistakes during the build and they make very odd engineering decisions for no decernable reason, like the infamous 11/4" bike receiver.... The great thing about the Internet is you can go to a bunch of trailer forums, read reviews and comments from actual owners, and decide for yourself if the benefits outweigh all the negatives and increased labor.

I would leave "Mouse" out in the open all winter before than I would a cloth cover on it. I am just very glad I don't have to...

John Davies

Spokane WA

There are as many positive reviews as negative. So I guess it just comes down to personal decision. You are quite lucky you don’t have to make that decision. Of course we all want what’s best in caring for our Ollie’s.💗

• Like 2

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Katjo said:

There are as many positive reviews as negative. So I guess it just comes down to personal decision. You are quite lucky you don’t have to make that decision. Of course we all want what’s best in caring for our Ollie’s.💗

I absolutely agree and nicely said.

I've used a Calmark cover for the past 6 winters on my Oliver without any issues.  I believe that many of the problems that people have with RV covers is that they can be ill fitting and/or improperly installed.  Since the CalMark is specifically designed to fit the Oliver it does not "flap" in the wind (thus possibly chaffing the finish) the usual problems that owners have with covers are avoided. In addition, if the owner cares for the cover - cleaning it as recommended - and only covers the Oliver when the Ollie is clean to start with problems are severely mitigated.  Certainly if I had a a reasonable alternative - such as a garage - I would use it versus any fabric cover.  But, from my experience, the CalMark cover certainly does beat (hands down) simply leaving any RV subject to the full whims of nature.

Also, I would not agree that the Oliver Travel Trailer Company "often makes mistakes during the build".  Yes, these people are indeed human and therefore do make mistakes.  But, I certainly would not agree that these mistakes occur "often".

Bill

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

1 minute ago, topgun2 said:

I absolutely agree and nicely said.

I've used a Calmark cover for the past 6 winters on my Oliver without any issues.  I believe that many of the problems that people have with RV covers is that they can be ill fitting and/or improperly installed.  Since the CalMark is specifically designed to fit the Oliver it does not "flap" in the wind (thus possibly chaffing the finish) the usual problems that owners have with covers are avoided. In addition, if the owner cares for the cover - cleaning it as recommended - and only covers the Oliver when the Ollie is clean to start with problems are severely mitigated.  Certainly if I had a a reasonable alternative - such as a garage - I would use it versus any fabric cover.  But, from my experience, the CalMark cover certainly does beat (hands down) simply leaving any RV subject to the full whims of nature.

Also, I would not agree that the Oliver Travel Trailer Company "often makes mistakes during the build".  Yes, these people are indeed human and therefore do make mistakes.  But, I certainly would not agree that these mistakes occur "often".

Bill

Well said, Bill!! I just don’t believe Oliver would put their brand logo on a cover if it is so harmful to the Oliver. I’m happy to hear you have had 6 successful seasons using your cover. I’m swaying on the side of getting one because I too feel like covered against the harsh winter is better then no cover.🤔

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• Moderators

I think a lot depends on where your trailer is stored (sun, snow, tree sap possibilities) and your gymnastics ability to cover.

I'd pm a few mainers  who have responded about difficulty of snow removal, or if they even bother, with a cover.

The calmark is really expensive.  Probably 1/3 to 1/2 the price of ceramic coating.

Our Ollie owner friends in Minneapolis area stored theirs outside from 2009 to 2021, with no ill effects. But, they are maintenance fanatics, and waxed regularly.  I can tell you their trailer looked like new last October when we camped together for a few weeks.

It's a really big decision.  I wish you well.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

6 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

I think a lot depends on where your trailer is stored (sun, snow, tree sap possibilities) and your gymnastics ability to cover.

I'd pm a few mainers  who have responded about difficulty of snow removal, or if they even bother, with a cover.

The calmark is really expensive.  Probably 1/3 to 1/2 the price of ceramic coating.

Our Ollie owner friends in Minneapolis area stored theirs outside from 2009 to 2021, with no ill effects. But, they are maintenance fanatics, and waxed regularly.  I can tell you their trailer looked like new last October when we camped together for a few weeks.

It's a really big decision.  I wish you well.

Thank you so much.💗

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• 1 month later...

We live in Connecticut and use a Eevelle horse trailer cover.  link to cover  We use it year round and are super happy with it.  Bought their top shelf version for a 24' V front trailer and it fits perfect except for not covering the storage box and leveler on the tongue - both fine with us.  The material is very sturdy, there are vents running across the top lip which work really well even if cover is put on a wet trailer. A number of straps that go under the belly and one across the top, which holds the material firm to trailer even in wind storms.  This also prevents the material from sitting on the ground and freezing to the pavement.  There are top to bottom zippers every 6-7' with velcroe tabs at the top so it is easy to roll up panels for easy access to any part of the trailer.  We wax and buff 2x/year, wash with a soap/wax combo in general and the trailer looks fantastic. Purchased on sale for 40% off so ended up costing around $550 including tax and shipping.  They have lots of sales.

Our primary reasons for going with the cover was twofold.  We want to minimize drying/cracking of sealants arounds windows and roof.  Also, leaves and dust collected around the roof supports for the awning which also pools water.   This made for constant ugly staining which was a real chore to keep clean.  

• Like 1

SOLD:  2021 Elite 2, Twin Bed, Lithium & Solar, 3000W Inverter

SOLD:  2022 Ford F150, 3.5L V6 EcoBoost, 4x4 Supercab, Trailer Tow Package