Dometic Penguin Shroud Cracks

Sak

It was a bit windy on the way back home today. When I got home, I found some cracks near the back of the exterior shroud of the Dometic Penguin AC. I know it just happens today as it's not there before I left the campground. Any tips replacing this? Or should I even bother replacing it at all?

3C1B8065-7819-44F1-819A-C83991A43D08.thumb.jpeg.206aa5bffbb2b72af0cb6ff1a06ff176.jpeg

• Wow 1

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #854
2021 Ford Expedition Platinum

Hi Sak

That's weird. Doesn't seem like the wind could crack it but who knows. The important thing is to make sure that the shroud doesn't come flying off to hit someone behind you on the road. If the other connectors are secure, you're probably OK but if it were me I'd want to fix that. 

• Like 4

2021 Elite II #841, 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4, 3.0 diesel

Those screws have a shoulder on them.  

F5C07495-C345-4AA1-868D-A4991C48420E.thumb.jpeg.d8f54a26efb997c83728496a85d46aea.jpeg

The shoulder should pass through the elongated hole in the shroud and be tightened down against the steel base, leaving the head of the screw snug but not tight against the shroud to allow the shroud to expand and contract with heating and cooling. You might find that the shoulder was tightened down against the shroud, or the screw was loose allowing too much movement of the shroud. We’ve been in some very strong wind and never had that happen. I agree with @Cameron I’d fix that also. 

• Like 6

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

• Moderators

I’ve never seen that happen.  We’ve been in and through some pretty high wind conditions.  I’d get it fixed.  I did lose a screw at some point and called Dometic for a replacement.  They sent me a pack of six for free.  I’ve seen various Dometic AC covers on Amazon but would check some of the RV parts places first.  UnitedRV.com has provided good service to us.  Mike

• Like 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I had the same issue on #676 (2020). The crack in my shroud, like yours was at the screw hole, but mine did not seem to have as many cracks as yours judging from the picture. I bought a replacement shroud from a local Camping World, but have not used it yet.  I was able to patch my current shroud using a strip of fiberglass drywall joint tape and JB Weld epoxy.  I put the epoxy on the inside of the shroud, then layered the fiberglass tape on and more epoxy.  It is still holding 18 months later. 

• Like 7

image.jpeg.09f40a09983d95bd862eb789e3430148.jpeg

2019 Ram 1500 5.7L V8, 3.92 axle ratio - 2020 LEll - Hull676

Yours may still be in warranty, check to see. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t change it yourself if it is going to take two months to get it through normal warranty channels. Sometimes it makes more sense to just buy it and do it yourself, if you are comfortable doing that.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 5

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

One of the several reasons we swapped out our dinosaur 2008 oversized dometic ac was the cost of a new shroud to replace our very cracked and brittle old shroud, probably half eternabond tape. We waxed the shroud every time we waxed the trailer, but the Florida sun takes a toll on plastics. I wouldn't expect that in a newer trailer like yours. I think your dometic has a limited 2 year warranty.  Open a service ticket for advice, and see what happens.  

The $200 for a new replacement shroud for the old dometic was 20 per cent of the purchase price of our quiet 9500 Houghton. Obviously a bit more work to swap the whole unit, than swap shrouds, but worth it in the end. 

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

2 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Open a service ticket for advice

Great idea, ticket summited and waiting for response. Will report back once I hear back. Thanks!

• Like 1

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #854
2021 Ford Expedition Platinum

• 1 year later...

To actually answer the question on how to fix?  I would JB Weld the back of the shroud in a "pond" if HB Weld with a SS fender washer in the JB Weld, and use a second SS fender washer on the outside after letting it cure a few days.

GJ

• Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg