PEX Repair Kit

• Moderators

I just did a forum search to see if I could find information on building a PEX repair kit to carry with us while camping.   The most informative thread (after reading a bunch) had some good information:

Upgrades with Sharkbite Fittings

I know we have some very knowledgeable owners (at the last rally @mossemi and @scubarx had an informative hands-on PEX demo).  It would be useful to list some of the supplies, tools and sizes that would be handy to have in case of a plumbing malfunction while out in the middle of nowhere, a spot Oliver owners seem to like to visit.

What do we need to look for while in the plumbing aisle at Lowes or Home Depot?  Mike

• Like 11

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

These pictures show the items in my PEX repair kit.  You will have to decide what you are comfortable using.  The PEX crimpers were a close out item at Lowes that I bought for $20 and I didn’t even know I needed them until I bought an Oliver.  And I needed ring clamps if I was going use the crimpers.  If you inventory you plumbing, you will have a better idea of what fittings you might need to do a field repair.  The brass fittings that need crimp fittings are reusable so a spare is really not needed.  I wouldn’t reuse the plastic fittings that insert into the PEX tubing.  I certainly carry more than I need, but most of the fittings I carry are left overs from other mod’s. And I carry a couple of 5’ sticks of PEX in red and blue colors.  For most people, SharkBite fittings that PEX tubing inserts into would suffice for most field repairs and a reusable SharkBite fitting like the white ones Oliver uses, require a fitting removal tool.  And beware of the SharkBite fittings that are not reusable and are intended for a single use, so read the packages carefully.  You will also need a PEX tubing cutter as nothing else will do the job properly.  Questions?

Mossey

4CD5A6A7-7B20-4065-8089-D23F0C6E0C6F.thumb.jpeg.182d55947d63b7d26424be1d18bba61f.jpegDE48FB51-A375-4194-98C2-24F854B3871E.thumb.jpeg.5907ed4b59eba557a44869555e0416e2.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 7

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Here’s this 1/2” PEX kit I put together this week after making my first Ollie PEX repair.

Had a old Laptop Pelican case I no longer use, works great for a PEX repair kit case.

Glad you asked about this, thought I had a Sharkbite elbow, but don’t, will drop by Lowes and buy a couple.

Have an assortment of brass fittings, elbow, T, and straight coupler that work with stainless steel clamps or copper clamps.

I have a stainless steel crimping tool and PEX tube cutting tool. Also have a copper tube cutter to make straight cuts for Sharkbite fittings.

Have one each 1/2” blue & red 5’ pieces taped together in the back of the TV. The ends could be damaged, just cut 1/4” off before use.

Also have short pieces of PEX carried in the case and stainless steel clamps in the case. 

Some places are hard to reach to operate the clamp crimping tool, that’s why I purchased Sharkbite fittings for hard to reach areas.

The reason for a case is to be able to pack contents tightly to prevent rattle damaging brass fittings causing leaks where clamped.

I also keep a magic marker and tape measure.

Need some additional fittings and Sharkbite tools Mossey has in his kit. This is what I like about forums, I learn from other folks here!

Mossey, nice job! 👍

96ED9062-687D-4291-88D6-E1AC270E871C.jpeg

AEA335FD-5ECB-48C7-8675-99C546A8BA55.jpeg

6854FAAC-7379-465D-A105-CF0C1D725563.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 7

LE2

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, mossemi said:

And beware of the SharkBite fittings that are not reusable and are intended for a single use, so read the packages carefully.

Those nonreuseable  sharkbites that we've used are labeled EvoPex. The nice thing is, if you've done the job right,  green shows in the slot, when properly connected. (Ask me how I know.. )

Carry a good cutter. Buy fittings at any ace, home depot,  lowes etc. along the way.  Make a good cut, giving yourself an inch or two of grip room plus depth,  mark the proper  depth, (borrow @rideandfly's sharpie, if you don't have one, and you should), push to fit, and done. 

Sharkbites are slick. Imo. They're also pricey. We don't carry any fittings.  These days, widely available.  Then again, we " live on  the edge,"  but we carry drinking water, so we can certainly survive til the next hardware store. Only had one plumbing fail in 15 seasons , and pretty sure our fault, not winterizing properly and promptly. 

Ymmv

• Thanks 2
  • Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I believe at the rally demo, it was suggested to keep a check valve in the repair kit too.  I just don't remember what size.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

• Moderators
1 hour ago, hobo said:

I believe at the rally demo, it was suggested to keep a check valve in the repair kit too.  I just don't remember what size.

I forgot that item, so thanks for the reminder.  This is the check valve I used when I replaced the original during a recent plumbing modification.

Mossey

7EB87956-344C-451C-95FB-C9F17405A711.thumb.jpeg.1dcfc6ae572bbc18029389d9630a089f.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

This was our first PEX failure in six years with our LE2 Ollie.

I take care to winterize correctly. Before the failure noticed while on shore power the hot water was very hot. My normal test if I can’t hold my hand on something the temperature is above 130 degrees. The faucet was very hot, too hot to touch. Suspected a hot water heater thermostat failure to contribute to a weak fitting failure. Just a theory, but replaced the 120V & 12V water heater thermostats, too.

During the repair saw how many plastic fittings were used on Ollie. Assume clamping pressure is similar on stainless steel and copper crimp rings. Brass fittings are very strong compared to plastic.

Believe over time plastic fittings will fail more often due to accumulated fatigue compared to  brass fittings, that’s my reason for the kit so I can make repairs if we are at a remote location.

• Like 4

LE2

• Moderators
8 hours ago, rideandfly said:

This was our first PEX failure in six years with our LE2 Ollie.

I take care to winterize correctly. Before the failure noticed while on shore power the hot water was very hot. My normal test if I can’t hold my hand on something the temperature is above 130 degrees. The faucet was very hot, too hot to touch. Suspected a hot water heater thermostat failure to contribute to a weak fitting failure. Just a theory, but replaced the 120V & 12V water heater thermostats, too.

During the repair saw how many plastic fittings were used on Ollie. Assume clamping pressure is similar on stainless steel and copper crimp rings. Brass fittings are very strong compared to plastic.

Believe over time plastic fittings will fail more often due to accumulated fatigue compared to  brass fittings, that’s my reason for the kit so I can make repairs if we are at a remote location.

I'd say, certainly,  brass is stronger.  But, plastic has been fine for us, for 15 seasons. 

I think using the trailer a lot, vs sitting around, also makes a difference. 

Our poor little power boat seems to have some minor failure, every other time we take it out, because it's the least used of the toys, maybe? Granted, it's 20+ years old... but not much more than our Ollie, and far less than our 40+ sailboat. Since our daughter grew up, and, we no longer take it out more than a few times a year, instead of once or twice a week, it seems to be more prone to problems. 

Stuff does happen.  Boats and trailers move, stuff breaks. Sadly, often at the most inopportune times. Maintenance,  and regular use, are keys. Imo

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.