Backup Camera?

AZ Wonderer

August 20th is the date by which I have to finalize my options on an Elite II.  I have everything sorted except one -- the backup camera.  I had a backup camera on my previous travel trailer.  It wasn't great and frankly I rarely used it.  The camera option on the 2023 Oliver is $850.  That's a lot of money for an option I may not use, if at all.  I'm curious about others' thoughts and recommendations.  Do you have it, do you use it, do you find it worthwhile?  

• Like 1

Southern Arizona | 2021 Ford F-150 | 2023 Oliver Elite II | Hull # 1319 | Delivery 3 Jan 2023

AZCALAMSNMTNTXsm.jpg

• Moderators

We don't have one (2008) I wish we did. Probably a future mod, bluetooth?

I'm always the guide,,when my husband backs up. Even with a camera,  it's really good to have a partner outside watching. Cameras can't capture everything.  Yet.

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

37 minutes ago, AZ Wonderer said:

August 20th is the date by which I have to finalize my options on an Elite II.  I have everything sorted except one -- the backup camera.  I had a backup camera on my previous travel trailer.  It wasn't great and frankly I rarely used it.  The camera option on the 2023 Oliver is $850.  That's a lot of money for an option I may not use, if at all.  I'm curious about others' thoughts and recommendations.  Do you have it, do you use it, do you find it worthwhile?  

We finalized our options two days ago and we went with the back up camera.  It can also give you rear view vision ability while driving.  The more eyes there are on traffic the better.  So to answer your question, no we haven't used it yet, but I love back up cameras on vehicles.  Our delivery date is November 7.

Best regards, John 

• Like 5

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

We have it and use it all the time while towing.  It’s not just a “backup” camera.  It’s a rear view camera.  You’d be amazed at what can be hidden in the blind spot behind the trailer while you are in traffic if you don’t have the camera.  I have the factory installed large extended mirrors on my F-250 and there is still a blind spot behind the camper that the camera gives a good view of.  The camera is very helpful for lane changes, etc.  

• Like 4

We have one and doesn’t like the view quality. Get an Haloview, its cheaper but way better….

• Like 1

Elite2 2022, #1120. RAM 3500 Laramie 2022 diesel SRW

Quebec, Canada

previous rig:  35 foot fifth wheel with Ford f350 2018 diesel DRW 

I have it. I wish it had the resolution and low light ability of the backup/rear view camera I had installed on our van, made by Rear View Systems (not to be confused with Rear View Safety which also sells rear view cameras), but it's a lot better than nothing and it was nice to just get it installed as a turnkey system.

• Like 4

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

Not sure what brand Oliver is running with now, but we did opt for the rear view camera on our 2015 model and used it although the image quality was next to worthless especially at night. The monitor was a oversized gangly mess of wires too. After a couple of years someone broke into our truck and stoled the monitor for what reason I’ll never know. This forced me to purchase another rear view camera system, a Furion, and install which is better but not by huge margins. At least the monitor only has one wire that being the 12V hookup wire. Most likely there are much better systems on the market and probably for much less than $850. 

Bottom line is we really like have the camera and recommend having one but make sure you are getting what your’e paying for at the price of admission Oliver is charging. 

• Like 4

Legacy Elite II #70

I am very glad we ordered the rear view camera.  With it, I have no need for extended side view mirrors.  I can always see what is behind me and I can also always see when it is safe to change lanes as it is sometimes hard to tell if you have enough clearance when looking in the side view mirror (objects may be closer than they appear!).  The rear view camera is especially handy when you need to change lanes quickly and/or merge in dense traffic.  I don't find it all that helpful for backing up.

• Like 6

Steve and Lornie

LE II Standard  Hull #657  2004 4Runner 4.7 L V8

Oregon

COIDKSMOORTNUTWYmed.jpg