Harvest Host

Katjo

I’m considering joining Harvest Host mostly to use for our trip next year from Mi to the Alabama Oliver Rally. Has anyone used any specific Harvest Hosts on route to the Rally from Mi/Ohio area?  Also for those that have Harvest Host, I’m curious to know how is availability? Do you find you often can find a spot or is it like campgrounds that you need to book months in advance? 
Any input pros/cons would be appreciated. 

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• Moderators

While I don’t have any recommendations for HH locations on the route you might be taking for your rally trip, I can say that the 6 to 8 times we used HH have all been very good experiences.  They are all a little different and we don’t have any unreasonable expectations, but I’m happy at Cracker Barrel, Walmart or any other place that seems safe.  Krunch likes the HH farm’s and winery’s so we have utilized them on travel days when our destination might be a long day of travel and we just cut it in half.

Mossey

• Like 3

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

1 hour ago, Katjo said:

Also for those that have Harvest Host, I’m curious to know how is availability? Do you find you often can find a spot or is it like campgrounds that you need to book months in advance?

We just used Harvest hosts on our drive from Minnesota to Colorado and back last week.  We used it five nights total.  There are breweries and wineries right off the interstate that are popular and you’ll need to reserve ahead at least a week.  Others attractions are available on short notice, especially if they are less popular and further off the interstate.  If you travel on state highways during the week, no problem.  If you only travel on interstate highway on the weekend, expect to plan ahead at least a few days.  Needing to plan ahead months in advance wasn’t my experience.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200

2018 Twin Bed Elite II #351

We have used HH for three stays now and love them.  We have stayed at one with full hookups, one with electric only and one that was completely dry.  They are great to stay at and well worth the subscription cost (we have the additional "Boondocking" subscription as well).  Hope that helps you in your decision making.  Appreciate your great Youtube channel! 

Photos are from HH locations in Minnesota and Missouri:   

IMG_1110.jpg

IMG_1112.jpg

IMG_1083.jpg

IMG_1080.jpg

• Like 6

2022 RAM 2500 - 2018 Oliver Elite II Hull #339 

North Texas 

visited-united-states-map (3).png

One thing to keep in mind with Harvest Host, they automatically renew your membership every year.
Just be sure you know this prior to signing up. 

-Patriot 

• Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

We have dry camped at several HH locations and have really enjoyed the experience.  In fact, we stayed at a winery just down the road from the factory after we picked up our trailer and it was awesome.  I recommend.

20220318_162546.jpg

20220318_140803.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

Patrick and Danielle Wolfe / 2022 LE II Tail #22-1052 / 2023 GMC 2500HD SLT 6.6L Gas

• Moderators

We’ve used HH quite a bit.  It’s not a money saver if you buy a few bottles of wine, some eggs or produce, a couple of beers and a meal, etc.  All of our experiences have been good.  When you search on the web site for locations you get a bunch of ratings from members and can tell if it is a location that you would enjoy.  Mike

• Like 5

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

We have really liked most of the HH we have stayed at. Some have been quite expensive stays but we always come away with something we need or didn't know we "needed"!  We have never had trouble getting a spot, even on a couple of same day requests. We find HH  useful for Fri and Sat nights when you can't find a campsite for love not money!  Paula

• Like 4

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"

We've been HH members since early on.  We don't think it's necessarily a bargain as we only use it a few times a year - BUT we have never been disappointed in our stays, which are mostly at wineries.  Frankly it's great way to drink and NOT drive.   We'd recommend them.

Charlie.

• Like 4

ALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMA

Arizona | 2020 Oliver Elite II Twin bed Hull #617 | 2021 Ram 1500 e-Hemi 4x4

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator+

As we don’t consume alcohol, HH has never been a draw for us. Yes, I know they’re not all alcohol related, but with having to pay to be a member, being expected to buy something before you leave seems to be awfully expensive for what you get in return. 

• Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Scuba RX, We're not alcohol drinkers either but stay at HH quite often.  We especially like the museums and farm stands.  Probably my favorite HH stay so far has been the Soaring Museum in Elmira, NY.  It was great to watch the gliders take off and land just steps from our Ollie.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

"Creativity is the fun of putting together unexpected ideas."  Hazel Edwards

We've stayed at Harvest Host locations a handful of times over a period of a couple of years. At first, we were limiting our stays to cooler weather (when we didn't need the air conditioner) but two of the locations we've been to recently had hookups for a fee. We've done honey tasting, a shooting range, a plantation, a historic property/farm and a museum. All our experiences have been favorable and we will continue to maintain this membership. The reviews usually give a good idea of what to expect at a site. I've always booked in advance so have no experience with more immediate requests.

• Like 4

Joe and Mindy ▪️ 2019 Legacy Elite II ▪️ Hull 457

ALAZARFLILKYLAMSMONMOKTNTXUT99FFFFsm.jpg

We've been HH'ing for years and like many have mentioned, they're great - all different.  We're using one next ween near Pagosa, CO en route to Crested Butte.  The theme of this HH is a USDA-certified organic non-GMO beef ranch.  We'll be firing up the grill on this one, for sure.  Yumm.  Pix to follow....

• Like 2

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• Moderator+
15 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

We've been HH'ing for years and like many have mentioned, they're great - all different.  We're using one next ween near Pagosa, CO en route to Crested Butte.  The theme of this HH is a USDA-certified organic non-GMO beef ranch.  We'll be firing up the grill on this one, for sure.  Yumm.  Pix to follow....

Be careful there, Art. According to HH's Code of conduct, you are not allowed to cook outside.

Code of Conduct

While each Host has its page detailing where to park and what they expect from you, Harvest Host has a Code of Conduct that you must follow.

It is mandatory to have a self-contained RV with a water tank, an indoor kitchen, and a toilet. You cannot cook outside or use a tent. You may also have to show proof of liability insurance, so make sure you have it handy.

• Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

6 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

Be careful there, Art. According to HH's Code of conduct, you are not allowed to cook outside.

Code of Conduct

While each Host has its page detailing where to park and what they expect from you, Harvest Host has a Code of Conduct that you must follow.

It is mandatory to have a self-contained RV with a water tank, an indoor kitchen, and a toilet. You cannot cook outside or use a tent. You may also have to show proof of liability insurance, so make sure you have it handy.

Good call, Steve!  So true!  

We'll likely chat with the HH folks once we're settled in and find out exactly what they'll allow.  We have been allowed to grill at some but then not at others.  No biggie - but part of the HH protocol.  It may be that we'll be enjoying heavy hors d'oeuvres and a couple cold ones and call it "dinner."  

We're using this HH stop next Wednesday to break up the drive to Crested Butte, CO - probably won't un-hitch or even put the jacks down!  HA!

Will follow-up next week with pix of the trip and what we got away with doing at the HH stop.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Cheers,

Art

• Like 4

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

We'll likely chat with the HH folks once we're settled in and find out exactly what they'll allow.  We have been allowed to grill at some but then not at others.  No biggie - but part of the HH protocol.  It may be that we'll be enjoying heavy hors d'oeuvres and a couple cold ones and call it "dinner."  

We’ve used quite a few HH.  Some say cooking outside is fine, just be sure to ask.  Each Host is different!  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS