State Welcome Centers, and Galesburg, IL

SeaDawg

• Moderators

I'm going to have to add another map case to the travel kit soon. We've found the state welcome centers to be a great place to stop off and pick up the official state map to supplement the atlas and gps, and get a quick overview of a state we're visiting.

Mostly we've found the big centers on the interstate, just after crossing the state line. This summer, however, we happened to stop in Galesburg, Illinois, at the visitor center, and I was really surprised at not only the friendliness of the lady at the desk, but the wealth of materials she had on the racks. Along with great info on the local community (birthplace of Carl Sandburg, home of the "big blue chair".... etc.), there was an entire rack of official state maps for other midwest states--from Ohio to North Dakota, and some nice booklets on many of them, as well.

If you're ever in the neighborhood, stop by and visit. Nice folks, and very nice center.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Yes, Chuck, I sure do. My map is sadly out of date. Thanks for the reminder!

Sherry

OK, I made a new one, but still can't find a "states visited" source that combines US states and Canadian provinces. Anyone know of one?

Sher

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.