Relative newb here

DanielBoondock

Well I simply expressed my view as a potential customer that I don’t feel the cost increases and present day price (with just a few necessary options I got a $90k trailer easily) are justified, and got a storm of replies insisting it’s worth every penny. Fair enough - you folks have already bought in at some time or another, but FWIW the present day price is turning away at least one potential customer. For these prices I could purchase an Airstream, and as good as the Oliver is, it isn’t an Airstream, by reputation alone. Of the comparable other equally well build fiberglass trailers (in my view) can be had, that are larger and to my view better laid out. The two ends of a trailer are the premium spot, why put the bathroom, door and closet at one of them? That forces you to have a tiny dinette. Again just my comparison shopping views. 

Anyhow don’t get your feathers ruffled and no need to repeat how much you like your trailers, but FWIW feedback to the Oliver folks to whatever degree that matters. If the price now gets into Airstream/etc territory that’s what customers are going to compare it to. 

• Moderators

No ruffled feathers.

You should definitely choose what you think is best for you and yours. 

Every trailer today is a large investment. 

To me, the most important thing is to get out and camp. Not just sit around a fire ring in the backyard, and poke around the internet. 

I hope you enjoy whatever you buy. Still enjoying mine, 15 seasons in. 

Happy camping. 

• Like 7

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Spend some time over on Airforums to get a feel for initial quality issues and reliability.  We personally like Airstreams, they are an iconic part of American camping history.  If it weren’t for Oliver we’d probably be in one.  Good luck on your decision.

There is a forum member here @BoondockingAirstreamwho owns both an Oliver and an Airstream.  He’s pretty active on the Airforums (Ray Elklund over there), maybe he could give you some insight. Mike

• Like 5

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

1 hour ago, Mike and Carol said:

Spend some time over on Airforums to get a feel for initial quality issues and reliability.

I concur. 

I also recommend that you verify whether the particular Airstream model you are considering has a plywood or a composite subfloor.   I understand that Airstream is now  installing composite subfloors in some, but not all, new models. 

Then, if the model you like comes with a plywood subfloor, Google "Airstream subfloor replacement" and watch the multiple Youtube videos that come up in response to that search. 

The Airstream model we evaluated, before committing to buy an Oliver, came with a plywood subfloor. 

• Like 4

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

Airstream model we evaluated, before committing to buy an Oliver, came with a plywood subfloor

I think a number of models have gone to composite. But it doesn't solve other issues I've seen on airforums, like the front end separation on certain models. Definitely,  avoid those. 

No possibility for front end separation on a molded fiberglass hull. Oliver floor is fiberglass. 

But. If you want AS, go for it. 

We camp too often in hail country to consider even a vintage model to have fun with remodeling (which we love to do.) 

I've said it many times, everyone has different goals, needs, and camping styles. It's hard to sort it out. Took us better part of a year. 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderator+
On 8/21/2022 at 9:00 PM, DanielBoondock said:

…Anyhow don’t get your feathers ruffled and no need to repeat how much you like your trailers…

I believe the USS R. Feathers has already sailed. 

I hope you can find a trailer that meets your needs at a price point you can afford. 

• Like 6

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

On 8/10/2022 at 10:02 AM, John E Davies said:

The base LE2 Twin was $48,500 in 2017. The new 2023 Twin and Standard will be $73,500. That is a $25,000 increase in SEVEN years. That increase does not equate to real numbers because 2022 dollars are 16% lower than 2017 dollars in actual purchase power, due to inflation. You can’t compare apples to oranges.

The very first LE2's in 2009 had a base of $42,999 which in today's dollars would be approximately 60k. So about 13.5k increase in base model cost over inflation. If base equipment from back then is compared to 2023 that number will obviously drop much further.

2009 Elite II Brochure

• Like 3

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, CRM said:

The very first LE2's in 2009 had a base of $42,999 which in today's dollars would be approximately 60k. So about 13.5k increase in base model cost over inflation. If base equipment from back then is compared to 2023 that number will obviously drop much further.

2009 Elite II Brochure

Interesting.  When we started looking in the summer of 2015 the LEII base price was $41,000.  The price went up a few thousand before we ordered in the fall of 2015

2015_Legacy_Elite_options 12 11 2014.pdf

• Like 2

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

8 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

Interesting.  When we started looking in the summer of 2015 the LEII base price was $41,000.  The price went up a few thousand before we ordered in the fall of 2015

2015_Legacy_Elite_options 12 11 2014.pdf 321.77 kB · 1 download

Maybe a difference in base build? Looks like my link to the 2009 prices is broken so attached the pdf with base and option prices. elite_22(1).pdf

• Like 1

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, CRM said:

Maybe a difference in base build? Looks like my link to the 2009 prices is broken so attached the pdf with base and option prices. elite_22(1).pdf

Not sure.  The date on the brochure I posted is December, 2014.  Mike

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

just found an old email from Oliver in the summer of 2015, price for the Elite II went up to $48,500.

I just did some calculations based on CRM's 2015 Optional Upgrades and Add-Ons list.  I added to the 2015 base price the cost of the items that I believe were optional in 2015 but are now standard.  They include:  (1) $1800 for fiber granite countertops; (2) $200 for reading lights; (3) $500 for 4 (as opposed to only 2) wet cell lead acid batteries and (4) $75 each for additional outlet (I think there are 3 in a 2022 Elite I, so I added $150).  With a $48,500 base price in 2015, the total for what is now the "base" 2022 Elite II was $51,500.  Adjusted for inflation from 2015 to 2022, the result is $61,148.  The base price of the 2022 Elite II we have on order is $65,000.

So, Oliver has increased the price, after adjustment for inflation, by $3852.  That is a "real" increase, after inflation, of about 7.5%.  In my view, a 7.5% increase is a moderate response by Oliver to a hot RV market.   

After working through that interesting exercise, we are still comfortable that our 2022 Elite II is a sensible purchase, and will be a good long-term value.

• Like 7

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

On 8/9/2022 at 12:32 PM, DanielBoondock said:

Hi Folks,

I’ve been chatting with the wonderfully helpful members here on the towing forum already, as there’s no reason to introduce myself if I can’t sort out whether its possible to pull one. Anyhow with the help thats cleared up so now I’m on to stage two to see if this is the right thing for us (wife and college age son will come with us occasionally) 

I’m retiring from my regular job in a few years (taking a somewhat early retirement) and am moving on to working for myself. Otherwise I don’t want to just have a working life at this point in my life and want to reconnect with many things in my life, including travel and old hobbies. Looking to do these kinds of things with a trailer

• Various hobbies such as astronomy (built my own telescopes), long time photographer, hiker and reconnecting with a one time career attempt at paleontology and geology. 
  • Have our own place while visiting relatives 
  • Moved around a lot and would like to revisit those places and many new ones in the US (I’m burned out of international travel I did for work)

As I mentioned on the other thread I need to do computer and piano work while on the road. 

Anyhow, I’ve done winter backpacking and so am looking for a 4 season trailer, and being an engineer I appreciate the care and design of the Oliver. For tow vehicles I’ll be getting a 3/4 or 1 ton Silverado probably. The final issues I’m working through are the following -

• Cost - Oliver has jacked the prices by some $20k during the pandemic, which has been done elsewhere, but it sticks in my craw and makes it difficult to purchase at such nose bleed prices, including that I need a truck too. I’m all for companies making profit but am not comfortable with this. Annoying as I’m not suffering from pandemic consumerism but just want to retire. 
  • Interior dimensions. It’s very cozy, but (not having been in one) appears not to be as open as others. Probably a design trade off given the robustness of the trailer, but I wonder if it will bother me eventually, or isn’t a problem
  • Ideally I’d be able to take one out for a weekend somehow, but probably not possible. 
  • I worked on farms and such, and drove all over towing stuff with my dad when young so am comfortable with that, but am not sure if this is worth the cost and trouble (I also need to find a place to store it!) For example I used to sail, and paradoxically a beautiful used sailboard goes for a fraction of the trailer, and no tow vehicle necessary, why not make it simple and cheap and buy a yacht?

Anyhow those are my main concerns, any thoughts welcome

As I read this post I see why are you over buying a tow vehicle, a 3/4/1 ton tow vehicle is way over kill and spending much more money then needed. A 1/2 ton full size pickup will do the job just fine, that should save you $10,000/$20,000 plus dollars and the cost of an Oliver is just what it is in todays market. My 2019 was close to $20,000 less then todays prices, probably in the next 4-5 years today Oliver prices will be 20% higher then they are today, who knows.  As far as Oliver prices they are inline with everthing else today, have you been to the grocery store, purchase fuel, bought a home, and don't go vehicle shopping it a buying experience for sure. 

trainman

• Like 3

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.