No 110V power proves to be a wiring issue with my transfer switch

roguebooks

• Moderators
3 hours ago, roguebooks said:

No they did not. And Progressive Industries just got back with me and informed me they did not make the product, Progressive Dynamics did. Now what to do?

Call Progressive Dynamics.  See below for phone number.

Mossey

D4AFD9CF-FF35-42E6-991F-3090E4381D69.thumb.jpeg.0c771d233d6852f23b5362d3cef8c200.jpeg

• Like 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Update:

My Progressive Dynamics transfer switch model has been discontinued. Their website states the new replacement model number is: PD5110010Q 

I ordered a new one from E-trailer and it will arrive Wednesday. Now I need to find an electrician.  

Product Details   Qty   Total 
 Progressive Dynamics Transfer Switch with Quick Flip Connectors - Plastic Case - 30 Amp - 120V - PD5110010Q  1  $129.12 
Sales Tax:    $9.04 
Shipping: Free Shipping 13.05 less Discount ($13.05):    $0.00 
  Total:   $138.16 

IMG-4259.jpg

• Thanks 1

roguebooks 2020 Ram Classic 1500 Warlock 4x4 Hemi V-8 2018 Legacy Elite, Hull #309  ALARCOFLINKYLAMIMSMONMOKTNTXsm.jpg

travelmap2023.jpg

2 hours ago, roguebooks said:

Update:

My Progressive Dynamics transfer switch model has been discontinued. Their website states the new replacement model number is: PD5110010Q 

I ordered a new one from E-trailer and it will arrive Wednesday. Now I need to find an electrician.  

Product Details   Qty   Total 
 Progressive Dynamics Transfer Switch with Quick Flip Connectors - Plastic Case - 30 Amp - 120V - PD5110010Q  1  $129.12 
Sales Tax:    $9.04 
Shipping: Free Shipping 13.05 less Discount ($13.05):    $0.00 
  Total:   $138.16 

IMG-4259.jpg

Interesting! Can you please start a new thread about this with a descriptive title so others like me can find it a year or three from now? I wish I lived nearby, I could swap this for you for a couple of doughnuts… 

This way it is super easy to inspect the contacts of that great big relay:

C04C0BE5-6604-4D45-BE5F-8321A640CEE2.jpeg.74b7a56ab140a0335c0046e284247e90.jpeg

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, roguebooks said:

ordered a new one from E-trailer and it will arrive Wednesday. Now I need to find an electrician.  

Try these if you haven’t found anyone.

Mossey

2377C499-AC78-4357-B711-A68F446B1CDE.thumb.jpeg.20dd653338e8e7603a43623631b69229.jpeg

• Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

34 minutes ago, mossemi said:

Try these if you haven’t found anyone.

Mossey

2377C499-AC78-4357-B711-A68F446B1CDE.thumb.jpeg.20dd653338e8e7603a43623631b69229.jpeg

Thanks. My electrician I use for my house wants to do it for me. I am glad. Now I am crossing my fingers that there wasn't more damage done that I didn't see.

• Like 2

roguebooks 2020 Ram Classic 1500 Warlock 4x4 Hemi V-8 2018 Legacy Elite, Hull #309  ALARCOFLINKYLAMIMSMONMOKTNTXsm.jpg

travelmap2023.jpg

• Moderator+

I repaired an owner's Oliver at the Rally in May with exactly that same problem. Pretty easy fix. Cause was a loose wire, in fact, exactly the same wire as in the pictures.

• Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

10 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Interesting! Can you please start a new thread about this with a descriptive title so others like me can find it a year or three from now? I wish I lived nearby, I could swap this for you for a couple of doughnuts… 

This way it is super easy to inspect the contacts of that great big relay:

C04C0BE5-6604-4D45-BE5F-8321A640CEE2.jpeg.74b7a56ab140a0335c0046e284247e90.jpeg

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

John,

After this who;e debacle is finished I will see what I can do. Got to see how it all plays out. Why not just have a moderator change the title?

travelmap2023.jpg

6 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

I repaired an owner's Oliver at the Rally in May with exactly that same problem. Pretty easy fix. Cause was a loose wire, in fact, exactly the same wire as in the pictures.

Got your voice mail. A written "fix" with illustrations is the only way I would even come close to understanding what you want to tell me (or be able to instruct my electrician). I am a carpenter with almost zero electrical or plumbing skills. I do appreciate your wanting to help me.

travelmap2023.jpg

roguebooks

Thanks for posting this issue. As soon as I finished reading the post, I went out to my 2018 Elite II and checked to see if the connections were tight, which they were.

Attached is pictures of my transfer switch, which is a Series 5100 switch.

When you get the new one, let us know if the wire connectors are different then on our transfer switch.

Progressive Dynamics TS_2.jpg

Progressive Dynamics TS_3.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• The title was changed to No 110V power proves to be a wiring issue with my transfer switch
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2022 at 9:00 AM, roguebooks said:

I discovered the problem. The lunchbox basically blew up at one connection. Pics will show. Now what? Call Jason or Progressive?

IMG-4257.jpg

IMG-4253.jpg

IMG-4256.jpg

IMG-4258.jpg

We had a very similar issue in our 2018 LE2 this past summer.  Fortunately, it happened while we were at the Oliver rally and expert help was literally all around us.  Long story short; our transfer switch almost caught on fire (worse than yours looking at the pic). It was determined that there was a loose connection in the box which caused a "low voltage" error code in the EMS in the overhead, rear compartment.  Low voltage equals "heat".  Don't remember off hand if the code was E4 or E8 but the system stores past codes so you should check yours to see what it reads.  

In our situation, the Oliver Service folks at the rally arranged for us to get the trailer serviced the following day (first day following the rally) back at the mother-ship.  Transfer switch was replaced and we were headed back to VA before lunch time, no charge.

Recommend everyone with a transfer switch in their units (only applicable to units with the second 30 AMP receptacle for a generator), disconnect their shore power, open up the transfer switch (located under rear dinette seat) and check tightness of their connections.  Might be something you would want to do annually if you bounce down the road a lot each year.  They shouldn't loosen up but.......  2 HOBOS

• Like 1

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

Still waiting on my electrician. He got Covid-19 almost immediately after receiving the new transfer box and arranging our appointment. He told me to wait for him if I could. So I wait. Thanks for the info.

travelmap2023.jpg

34 minutes ago, roguebooks said:

Still waiting on my electrician. He got Covid-19 almost immediately after receiving the new transfer box and arranging our appointment. He told me to wait for him if I could. So I wait. Thanks for the info.

A couple of questions -

Is this failure preventing you from going on a planned trip?

Where in the Atlanta area are you?  I am south of the city in Henry County.  I'm not an electrician, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night 😉

In all seriousness, I can swap the transfer switch for you if you bring the trailer to me. I have wired a couple of houses, a hangar and two airplanes that I built (yes, I know the planes are all DC) - if you are unable to make a trip you had planned.

Edited by katanapilot
corrected text
  • Like 4
  • Love 5

• Moderators
2 hours ago, katanapilot said:

I can swap the transfer switch for you if you bring the trailer to me

That is so very kind of you! 

I never ceased to be amazed at the generosity of our community here. And you are one of those very generous ones!

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

2 hours ago, katanapilot said:

A couple of questions -

Is this failure preventing you from going on a planned trip?

Where in the Atlanta area are you?  I am south of the city in Henry County.  I'm not an electrician, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night 😉

In all seriousness, I can swap the transfer switch for you if you bring the trailer to me. I have wired a couple of houses, a hangar and two airplanes that I built (yes, I know the planes are all DC) - if you are unable to make a trip you had planned.

Thanks. We live in Gainesville, Florida. This problem is not preventing us from taking a trip. We just returned from a nine week tour out west and glad this didn't happen out there. My electrician called me right after my last response, He lived through his second Covid debacle. We are set up for Tuesday morning now. I appreciate your offer.  

• Like 2

travelmap2023.jpg

57 minutes ago, roguebooks said:

Thanks. We live in Gainesville, Florida. This problem is not preventing us from taking a trip. We just returned from a nine week tour out west and glad this didn't happen out there. My electrician called me right after my last response, He lived through his second Covid debacle. We are set up for Tuesday morning now. I appreciate your offer.  

Sorry, for some reason I thought you were in the Atlanta area.  Glad you have the repair scheduled soon and it is not interfering with your camping plans. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

That is so very kind of you! 

I never ceased to be amazed at the generosity of our community here. And you are one of those very generous ones!

Thanks, but it's really not a big deal.  I just got back from an amazing 8 week trip and was very fortunate that we had no issues that derailed any of our plans.

I've read several posts on this forum where people have had to cancel plans due to the lack of available service and that is really unfortunate. 

Our homebuilt airplane community has a similar forum and it very valuable when someone is AOG (aircraft on ground) - meaning they are stuck somewhere away from home with a mechanical issue.  Since this airplane group is so large, there is usually help available nearby to get them running again and back home.  Just wanted to pay it forward a bit in the Ollie group too if I could. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• Moderators

@katanapilot, I do think it's a big deal. You and others here who are so generous with your time and help make this a very special place.

Thank you.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Update: We got the power back up and running today, installed the new transfer switch, and my electrician wants me to power up at least twelve hours before shutting down and seeing if the batteries hold their full charge (I am doubting they will). He is going to look at possible options regarding going with one 12V AGM versus two 6V AGM. My wife and I decided not to upgrade to lithium due to present expenses and we will both be happy if we have to replace our new AGM's in four or five years (meaning we got to live and travel some more). I will update as soon as I decide and we see what tomorrow brings regarding the present batteries. I did notice that the two 6V AGM's I had in my Amazon shopping cart were 1" taller than my current AGM's. That isn't going to work as the battery compartment is already way too tight. 

FYI: The error codes flashing initially after powering up and rotating on my surge protector were as follows: 117; 23A; 60H; and E O. Can anyone translate this for me or tell me where to find this info? I know the last one means everything is OK. 

• Like 2

travelmap2023.jpg

2 hours ago, roguebooks said:

FYI: The error codes flashing initially after powering up and rotating on my surge protector were as follows: 117; 23A; 60H; and E O. Can anyone translate this for me or tell me where to find this info? I know the last one means everything is OK. 

As sensed by the EMS - 117 volts, 23 amp current draw, 60 hertz (cycles). E0 - no errors as you indicated. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 8/25/2022 at 3:46 AM, hobo said:

Recommend everyone with a transfer switch in their units (only applicable to units with the second 30 AMP receptacle for a generator),

I also have a 2018 and don't have a second 30 amp receptacle for a generator.  I

Are they to provide a source for powering up Ollie with an auto start generator when power shuts off?

Thanks

GJ  

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Geronimo John said:

Are they to provide a source for powering up Ollie with an auto start generator when power shuts off?

The second 30A input on the curb side of the propane tank housing is for convenience only.   The (sometimes problematic) transfer switch is required when you have two 30A inputs.  That is why we don't have the second 30A input on Hull #1291.

• Thanks 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

17 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

The second 30A input on the curb side of the propane tank housing is for convenience only.   The (sometimes problematic) transfer switch is required when you have two 30A inputs.  That is why we don't have the second 30A input on Hull #1291.

That makes sense.  We don't have that option, and don't need it.  But...I suspect that there may be some owners that have significant medical needs that require a reliable source of power for durable medical equipment and the second power input would be very helpful.  Hence a hypothetical discussion:

A quick search for "Auto Start Portable Generators" revealed ten of them here:  https://www.bestreviews.guide/amp/auto-start-generator?origin=google&google_params[matchtype]=&google_params[network]=x&google_params[device]=c&google_params[creative]=&google_params[keyword]=&google_params[adposition]=&google_params[adgroupid]=&google_params[campaignid]=18887130845&bs=&google_params[feeditemid]=&google_params[targetid]=&google_params[loc_interest_ms]=&google_params[loc_physical_ms]=9032812&google_params[devicemodel]=&google_params[target]=&dest=0&sys_id=0|903&origin=google&google_params[matchtype]=&google_params[network]=x&google_params[device]=c&google_params[creative]=&google_params[keyword]=&google_params[adposition]=&google_params[adgroupid]=&google_params[campaignid]=18887130845&bs=&google_params[feeditemid]=&google_params[targetid]=&google_params[loc_interest_ms]=&google_params[loc_physical_ms]=9032812&google_params[devicemodel]=&google_params[target]=&dest=0&sys_id=0|903&gclid=CjwKCAiAr4GgBhBFEiwAgwORrX9s1kQ3GUQQmq55XJWUIFRK58K3Sh8Up0LuZpL1SKhqzzvK1MKyDBoCkkwQAvD_BwE

If they are hooked up to shore power using the OTT OEM 30A Furrion plug, and then hook up their auto start generator to the second one, that would give them an immediate (hopefully) source of power should the camp ground power supply fail.  Is that the case?  Has anybody done this and have experience in doing so?

GJ

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg