Electric Blankets; Anyone Use 'Em in an Oliver?

Rivernerd

I searched but found no threads on this topic. 

We take delivery of an Elite II in November, 2022.  We anticipate some cold overnight lows as we make our way back to Idaho in mid-November.

Both my wife and I like to sleep warm.  We use 110V electric blankets at home when it's cold outside.  Our Elite II will have 390 Ah of lithium battery capacity, so we could run two twin-sized 12V electric blankets at night (reported amp draws are between 4.5-5 amps per hour, so using two blankets for 8 hours should consume between 72 and 80 Ah per night).  That is less than 25% of the usable battery capacity per night, so we figure that will work.  Even with cloudy days, we expect that solar regeneration will likely keep up with that usage.

We have also considered 110V electric blankets, but the ones I have found pull about 126 watts each for the twin size, so two using inverted 12V power (at about 10.5 amps per hour, or a total of 21 amps per hour), will consume more than 160 Ah in an 8-hour night.  With inverter loss, the total is likely closer to about 200 Ah per night.  That's more than 50% of our available battery capacity, and if the weather is cloudy, we may not be able to replenish that power with the solar panels. 

So, it appears that 12V blankets are the only potentially viable option.  But, my research has revealed no 12V electric blankets on the market that don't have auto shutoffs after 45-60 minutes.  We don't want to have to wake up every hour to turn the blankets back on!

Does anyone use electric blankets in an Oliver?  If so, what do you use, and how has it worked for you?  If using 12V, how do you get around the auto-shutoff feature?

If you don't use electric blankets on cold nights, do you take warm sleeping bags?  Or do you run the furnace all night, burning propane, to maintain comfortable temps?

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

You need to run the furnace, especially if it will get below freezing, because that is how the tanks and plumbing are warmed. You are overly optimistic about the performance of your solar panels, don’t count on much charging if it is cloudy or you are under trees. They simply don’t do much in those conditions. So you need to RATION electricity, and use propane whenever possible, for the fridge and heating, unless you are in bright sunlight most of the day. 

The tow vehicle will not charge those lithium batteries, Oliver leaves that wire disconnected. So you will have to use a generator if the sun is not enough, and use a portable solar panel on sunny days if you are parked in shade. Or plug into shore power a couple of times per week.

My wife sleeps under regular sheets and blankets, I sleep in a summer (35 degree) poly mummy bag in lightweight jammies. We both adjust the coverage as the trailer cools down to the set temp of 60 degrees. When I am solo I let it get to 50. If plugged into shore power I set a box heater to that temp, and the furnace to two degrees below it. If the box heater is unable to keep up, the furnace will kick on as needed.

I crack one rear window an inch, and open the bathroom roof vent half way, for a little cross ventilation, with the bath door open. The big ceiling vent stays closed.

I would not use an electric blanket, you cannot tuck it in around the mattress or it will overheat, and it will end up on the floor a dozen times each night if you don’t. This is for the Twin beds, it might work OK for the single big mattress.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

We don’t use electric blankets, we use good goose down comforters and we have a Vornado space heater that really takes the chill off. 
I’m not sure what mattresses you have but if you have the foam mattresses I suggest checking with the manufacturer on using a electric blanket on memory foam, there are some that do not recommend it depending on what type of foam they use. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• Moderator+

This has been discussed thru the years. I don’t recall anyone expounding on the merits of this idea. But, that was back in the days before solar and lithium batteries. 
Please keep the group informed on your experiences using the e-blankets. With today’s technology, you’ve got a good shot at this working. The only problem I can anticipate is completely replacing the overnight amps used the next day. With good sun, it should work. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

We don’t use electric blankets.  If dry camping the furnace does a fine job of keeping things warm.  If we have electric our little Vornado keeps things warm.  Like JD, we keep a window cracked and a roof vent open.  Sheets and blankets work well for us.  We also have a couple of LL Bean fleece sleeping bag liners that are nice under the covers when it gets really cold.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Thanks for the informative replies.  You all make good points.

It appears that running the furnace and using down comforters are the best way to stay warm the way we like it. 

We opted for the two 20-lb. propane tanks, because I have bilateral torn rotator cuffs and expect it will be very difficult to lift  30-lb. tanks (which weigh 55 lbs. when full) into the "doghouse."  It is tough enough for me now to lift 20-lb. tanks (which weigh 36 lbs. when full) that high, and I'm not getting any younger!  So, we will have 10 gallons of tank capacity available.

When running the furnace all night, along with an absorption fridge/freezer, how much propane is burned per day?  In those conditions, how often must two 20-lb. propane tanks be refilled? 

• Like 2

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

My electricity "splurge" on chilly nights (above freezing) is to heat a sack of cherry pits for a few minutes in the microwave.  If my tootsies start off warm, the rest of me is fine all night long!

mb

• Like 2

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

Sleeping with my peripheral neuropathy affected feet near the battery vault, I use a rechargeable USB hand warmer (aka foot warmer) to take the chill off.  It's kinda like bricks placed at the foot of the bed in days past - except it stays warm all night.

Charlie.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

ALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMA

Arizona | 2020 Oliver Elite II Twin bed Hull #617 | 2021 Ram 1500 e-Hemi 4x4

• Moderators

Dry wool socks, weight depends on season, takes care of cold tootsies. (Change socks before bed.). Comforter weight depends on season. We keep the trailer around 55 at night, in shoulder season.

Never tried an electric blanket. I will line the side of the hull with a rolled lightweight fleece, if it's cold, but our 2008 doesn't have the newer better insulation.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 8/11/2022 at 8:52 AM, Rivernerd said:

When running the furnace all night, along with an absorption fridge/freezer, how much propane is burned per day?  In those conditions, how often must two 20-lb. propane tanks be refilled? 

Experience running fridge on LP, using LP furnace set to 65 every night when temps are below freezing (dog water dish left outside froze solid each night) and using cooktop minimally I could go eight days on a 30# tank

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW