Favorite Camp Recipes

Katjo

I thought it be fun to start a topic on favorite camp recipes.😋 

Share your favorite camp recipes for drinks, breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks! 

Dinner: Lemon Chicken & Artichokes

I love using my crockpot (with crockpot liners for easy cleanup) when camping and I always make this recipe Lemon Chicken and artichokes. I tweak it a bit and add a bag of petite Blushing Bell potatoes (or red skin potatoes) and I quarter corn on the cob and throw that in. You can add carrots, green beans or whatever sounds good! 

https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/slow-cooker-chicken-artichokes-whole30-paleo/

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

20 minutes ago, Katjo said:

Dinner: Lemon Chicken & Artichokes

That looks great, thanks!

I'll think about this and post a recipe..

• Thanks 1

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

• Moderators

We keep it simple when camping.  One of my favorites is burgers.  Fire up the Blackstone grill, throw on some bacon, then add  sliced onions.  Put the burgers on.  The aroma never fails to arouse hunger in neighboring campers.  Put bacon on the burger, add some cheddar cheese, onions on top.  A glass of red wine tops it off.

Now I need to go camping.  Mike

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I have a small Ninja 7-way cooker.  One simple thing I like to do is put a roast in it, pour a can of cream of mushroom soup and a packet of dry onion dip mix onto the roast, and slow cook it on low for 8 hours.  So easy and delicious.  Set it in the morning, enjoy the day, come back to the camper, and you'll have a yummy roast.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Southern Arizona | 2021 Ford F-150 | 2023 Oliver Elite II | Hull # 1319 | Delivery 3 Jan 2023

AZCALAMSNMTNTXsm.jpg

1 hour ago, Katjo said:

Dessert: Campfire Banana Boats! 

That looks very tasty!

I was trying to come up with a recipe to list. I guess we almost always cook without a recipe and tend to make traditional meals. One meal I always look forward to is tacos with Mexican rice. If we are hanging out at camp, we also make homemade beans in a Dutch oven. My wife opted for the convection microwave, so it will be nice to be able to crisp up the taco shells. Add some Tecate, Modelo Especial, or some Coronas with salt and lime and we are all set! 

Kirk

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

@Kirk Peterson That sounds so good! We love tacos and it’s also one of our camp staple meals but I never thought to crisp up the shells in the convection microwave, I’m totally doing that from now on!! Those homemade beans in a Dutch oven sound delicious and perfect accompaniment with tacos! Yum😋

Thank you for sharing.💗

• Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

Georgia Peach Smoked Pork Chops.

These are so good and so easy! I’ve done it with apricot as well as apple preserves (whatever sounds good) all are delicious! Enjoy😋

5140E71E-F847-4889-8661-EA18F1D9A571.jpeg

• Like 3

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

Vagabond Chicken Bundles.

Foul wrapped meals are easy and very versatile. Add whatever you want to them, they always come out so delicious and no mess! 
This is a favorite of mine, I add a few sliced thin potatoes and it’s your entire meal in one foil pack!

FC3DD61C-40BC-40A4-8088-2F80BBC7AF80.jpeg

• Like 3

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

56 minutes ago, Katjo said:

Vagabond Chicken Bundles.

Foul wrapped meals are easy and very versatile. Add whatever you want to them, they always come out so delicious and no mess! 
This is a favorite of mine, I add a few sliced thin potatoes and it’s your entire meal in one foil pack!

FC3DD61C-40BC-40A4-8088-2F80BBC7AF80.jpeg

Easy and delicious.  The best combination!

• Like 3

Southern Arizona | 2021 Ford F-150 | 2023 Oliver Elite II | Hull # 1319 | Delivery 3 Jan 2023

AZCALAMSNMTNTXsm.jpg

• Moderators

I know I've posted this in previous threads about campfire cooking, but I'll add it again, with photos.

My husband's favorite campfire meal is teriyaki flank steak.

I remove any chine and tendons, then stab the flank steak both sides with a fork, probably about 100 times each. Place it in a ziplock or vac bag, and add low sodium marinade. (Mrs dash is really good, but not always available.  My own recipe is pineapple juice, low sodium soy, a bit of rice vinegar, garlic, ginger, honey or cane sugar, and a bit of water. )

Place the steak in the bag, add some marinade to cover (needs less than you think, as the holes allow the marinade to sink in), and marinate at least one day. 

I usually marinate one day, flat, in the fridge, then freeze flat between two cookie sheets in my chest freezer. Easier to carry and store flat pack items. (I do the same with chicken, pork chops, etc.)

Flank steak cooks quickly to medium rare, about 5 minutes per side, on a really hot fire. sliced thin against the grain, on the diagonal, the little ribbons of meat require no knife. 

I sometimes just make veggies with it (seasonal), sometimes rosemary baby potatoes.  

20220820_150913.jpg

20220820_151811.jpg

Screenshot_20220820-163406_Gallery.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I don't carry a crock pot, nor an insta pot, since we rarely have hookups, but I do love campfire cooking.

Our freezer in the truckfridge is very tiny, so my method of flat packing really helps. 

I do the same with burger patties. Make the patties, wax paper under and above, spray one side and season. Vacpac, flat freeze.

Accompaniment for any red meat, or even pork chops,  is often campfire roasted onion. Take as little off the onion as possible, top and bottom, with a sharp knife. Score lightly and remove the husk and thin first layer. Set the onion on its now flat bottom,  on the cutting board, create 6 or 8 segments, not quite through. Open up just a bit, add butter or olive oil in the center. Add a bit of balsamic vinegar, if you have it. Wrap twice with foil, tightly. Cook in the early coals, tucked into the side of the fire, as you prepare everything else. It's done when you've turned it a few times, and it's soft. (Using long tongs, obviously. ) if it's done early, you can always set it on a hot rock while everything else cooks. Depending on the type of wood, and heat of the coals, 20 to 35 minutes.

I buy whole pork tenderloins at Costco when on sale, and cut my own boneless chops. Marinade and freeze, flat pack. (Cilantro lime and Italian dressing are favorites for pork.) They continue to marinade as they thaw. Vac packed, they never leak. 

20220821_163748.jpg

• Like 8

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

I do the same with burger patties. Make the patties, wax paper under and above, spray one side and season. Vacpac, flat freeze.

A good thing about frozen burgers is that you can grill them without thawing.  We usually thaw, but there have been times when we weren’t able to and we just threw the frozen burgers on the Weber or the Blackstone and they cook fine.  Mike

• Like 5

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

13 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

I don't carry a crock pot, nor an insta pot, since we rarely have hookups, but I do love campfire cooking.

Our freezer in the truckfridge is very tiny, so my method of flat packing really helps. 

Accompaniment for any red meat, or even pork chops,  is often campfire roasted onion. Take as little off the onion as possible, top and bottom, with a sharp knife. Score lightly and remove the husk and thin first layer. Set the onion on its now flat bottom,  on the cutting board, create 6 or 8 segments, not quite through. Open up just a bit, add butter or olive oil in the center. Add a bit of balsamic vinegar, if you have it. Wrap twice with foil, tightly. Cook in the early coals, tucked into the side of the fire, as you prepare everything else. It's done when you've turned it a few times, and it's soft. (Using long tongs, obviously. ) if it's done early, you can always set it on a hot rock while everything else cooks. Depending on the type of wood, and heat of the coals, 20 to 35 minutes.

I buy whole pork tenderloins at Costco when on sale, and cut my own boneless chops. Marinade and freeze, flat pack. (Cilantro lime and Italian dressing are favorites for pork.) They continue to marinade as they thaw. Vac packed, they never leak. 

20220821_163748.jpg

I love roasted onions.
This is such a great tip for an accompaniment for meat! It all sounds so good. I really like the flat pack idea too and using the vacuum sealer. I just put my vacuum sealer to work yesterday, froze up 20 ears of Michigan Sweet corn.🌽😋 

• Like 3

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• Moderators

What time is dinner tomorrow?  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

1 minute ago, SeaDawg said:

What time is dinner tomorrow? I 🤣

Carrie and I will be there too! 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

Hull #1305