Favorite Camp Recipes

Katjo

Grilled Parmesan Bread.

Crisp toasty cheese bread…yum!

1/4 cup butter, softened. 

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

6 slices of French bread, 1 inch thick cut diagonally. 

*can sprinkle garlic powder and Italian seasoning to taste* 

Blend butter and cheese in a small bowl. Spread mixture on both sides of bread slices. Place on grates over med heat. Toast until golden, about 3 minutes each side. 

1EC09910-CED9-499C-A0F3-E708E8A1DEC4.jpeg

• Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

GRILLED APPLE RINGS

Delicious served with ice-cream! 

INGREDIENTS

• apples
  • granulated sugar
  • brown sugar
  • cinnamon
  • butter or margarine

PREPARATION

Core crisp apples. Do not peel. Cut in crosswise 1 inch slices. Brush with margarine or butter and lay carefully on the grill. Grill about 8 minutes on one side about 4 to 6 inches from the coals. Turn and sprinkle on the sugar and cinnamon. The sugar will melt while the other side is browning. Continue grilling until the apple rings are tender and browned.

9A995534-142E-4AFC-8C3A-3B2BA87152C4.jpeg

• Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• Moderators

Apple pie, without the crust. Love that!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Most fruits are great on the grill. The heat kind of carmelizes the inherent sugar in the fruit, heightens the sweetness,,without adding sugar.

Have you tried grilling avocado? Nothing to add but a bit of cooking spray. Cut in half, ditch the pit. (Or save, to amaze a grandkid with "how to grow a tree", with the toothpick thing).

I grill canned pineapple rings, even, with chicken or ham steak.  Not as great as fresh, but adds a lovely flavor to the plate.

Fyi, Costco has a great little Kirkland ham (boneless.) If we have a group, I can cut ham steaks for six, still have extra for thinner slices for campfire breakfasts,  and dice the end bit for pie iron breakfast or soup. The added flavor from quickly grilling ham steak (spray with oil, lightly) is amazing, on the fire. It, too, takes on a bit of smokey sweet.

As I am writing this, I'm listening to owls and cicadas. I so love the woods. And, cooking with fire.

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

@SeaDawg I love avocados! I have never grilled one, that’s intriguing. I’ll have to give it a try. 
I’m allergic to pineapple but my husband loves it, especially grilled.
I do like ham steak, with a sweet potato..yum! 

What a lovely serenade you are listening to from the owls and cicadas. Nothing like the sounds of nature.

• Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

TORTILLA PERSONAL FRUIT PIES

INGREDIENTS

1  can any flavor fruit pie filling

1  package flour tortillas (8")

cinnamon

sugar

PREPARATION

Spread canned pie fruit filling on each tortilla. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar over the filling(optional). Roll up each tortilla. Wrap each tortilla in heavy duty aluminum foil; seal tightly. Grill foil packets over low heat campfire using a grill guard or on a regular low heat grill turning foil packets over once until heated through (5 to 10 minutes). Unwrap and eat. These could also be put into an RV camper oven on low heat.

68866D6D-BFB2-4301-85AE-E0CCB026F041.jpeg

• Like 2

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

Campfire Nachos

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon neutral flavored oil

½ lb tortilla chips

1 (7.75 oz) can El Pato hot tomato sauce, or equivalent

1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend

1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, drained

1 large avocado, cubed

4-5 green onions, sliced

handful of fresh cilantro, chopped

1 small lime, cut into wedges

Instructions:

Lightly oil the bottom of a large dutch oven, to prevent the nachos from sticking.

For the first layer, evenly spread ⅓ of the chips into the dutch oven, topped with ¼ can El Pato, ¼ can black beans, ¼ cup cheese, and a handful of avocado, green onions, and cilantro. Repeat for the second layer.

For the third and final layer, use the remaining ⅓ portion of chips, ½ can El Pato, ½ can black beans, ½ cup cheese, and the remaining avocado, onion, and cilantro.

Cover the dutch oven and place on a metal grill over your campfire for about 10 minutes, until the cheese has melted. Serve with the lime wedges.

3D84F210-67D8-4786-87E0-E7B7CDBEE20E.jpeg

• Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• Moderators
On 8/31/2022 at 11:27 AM, Katjo said:

TORTILLA PERSONAL FRUIT PIES

INGREDIENTS

1  can any flavor fruit pie filling

1  package flour tortillas (8")

cinnamon

sugar

PREPARATION

Spread canned pie fruit filling on each tortilla. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar over the filling(optional). Roll up each tortilla. Wrap each tortilla in heavy duty aluminum foil; seal tightly. Grill foil packets over low heat campfire using a grill guard or on a regular low heat grill turning foil packets over once until heated through (5 to 10 minutes). Unwrap and eat. These could also be put into an RV camper oven on low heat.

68866D6D-BFB2-4301-85AE-E0CCB026F041.jpeg

I've done something similar, in an air fryer at home. My picky eater daughter loved it. I added a small  scoop of vanilla gelato. Whipped cream, and,  homemade caramel sauce. 

I folded the ends in of the tortillas, like a burrito. Sprayed the tortilla with canola or olive spray. Can't remember.  

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

31 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

I've done something similar, in an air fryer at home. My picky eater daughter loved it. I added a small  scoop of vanilla gelato. Whipped cream, an, homemade caramel sauce. 

I folded the ends in of the tortillas, like a burrito. Sprayed the tortilla with canola or olive spray. Can't remember.  

Ohhhh I bet they are good in the air fryer, I’ll have to try that.😋

• Like 2

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• Moderators

20220901_185035.thumb.jpg.7d00c1e11f878a93d4341ee2b9e23fb3.jpgTonight, we did burgers on the fire. Nothing beats the flavor of wood fired cooking, imo.

Our neice's husband, camping with us. 

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

20220901_185035.thumb.jpg.7d00c1e11f878a93d4341ee2b9e23fb3.jpgTonight, we did burgers on the fire. Nothing beats the flavor of wood fired cooking, imo.

Our neice's husband, camping with us. 

How fun and those burgers look delicious!😋

• Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

One Pot Pasta Primavera

Ingredients

• 1 zucchini
  • 1 yellow summer squash
  • 4 oz. cherry tomatoes
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 4 oz. pasta
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 oz. goat cheese
  • Lemon juice, optional

Instructions

• Slice the zucchini and squash into ¼ inch slices. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half. Mince the garlic.
  • Heat the oil in a high-sided skillet. Once hot, add the vegetables and saute until the squash is soft, about 8 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the skillet and set aside.
  • Add the pasta, salt, and just enough water to cover the pasta to the skillet. Bring the water to a boil over medium heat and cook until the pasta is tender, about 10 minutes (this time may vary depending on the pasta you use). Be sure to stir frequently to ensure even cooking. If the water boils off before the pasta is tender, you can always add a bit more. Once the pasta has cooked through, remove the skillet from the heat.
  • Stir in the goat cheese to coat the pasta. Add the vegetables back to the skillet and stir to combine. Finish with a squeeze of lemon, serve & enjoy!

55BA4CE3-A516-4A13-ABA5-B65B5EAEB7C5.jpeg

• Like 2

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

2 hours ago, Katjo said:

One Pot Pasta Primavera

That looks great, can’tr wait to try it! 

• Like 1

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

Pineapple-Carrot Coleslaw.

3 cups shredded cabbage

8oz can unsweetened crushed pineapple (drained)

3/4 cup carrots, peeled and shredded

1/3 cup

Mayonnaise 

1 TBS sugar

1 TBS white vinegar 

Mix together cabbage, pineapple and carrots in a bowl. In a small bowl whisk together remaining ingredients. Pour over cabbage mixture; toss to coat. Cover and chill for 2 to 3 hours. 

Enjoy!😋

• Like 3

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

Cheesy Grilled Eggplant

1 to 2 TBS butter

1 eggplant, sliced 1/2 inch thick

2 tomatoes sliced

8 slices Swiss cheese

Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Cook eggplant slices until tender and golden. Arrange eggplant on a 14” length of heavy duty foil reserving several slices for top. Layer with tomato and cheese slices; top with reserved eggplant slices. Wrap well. Grill over medium heat for 5 minutes or until hot and cheese is melted. 

These are so good! 
You can also grill the eggplant instead skillet cooking them until tender then arrange in foil. 

• Like 2

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

2 hours ago, Katjo said:

Cheesy Grilled Eggplant

Definitely going to try this!

Thanks!

Kirk

• Like 1

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

• Moderators

Cooked greens

My very sweet neighbor and friend, Mellissa, brought me a huge (washed, even) bag of her organic greens today, mixed kale, collard, and mustard.

I often go down mountain and help her in her huge garden, and she sends me home with a bounty. I cook up enough for both families, and send her share back. 🙂

So tonight, I'll be making her favorite,  my greens. We'll have them with shrimp. 

Last month, she asked for my recipe. This is a copy of the text I sent her. You can adjust at the end with a little more vinegar, or lemon juice, or apple juice, according to taste. Substitute veggies broth and 86 the bacon, for vegan. Add a pinch of sealant, maybe, if you ditch the bacon.

A plastic grocery store bag of greens (stripped from the stems and ripped or Chopped into small pieces), plus 1/2 a big honey crisp apple (or all of a small one.). About 3/4 tsp chopped garlic. Olive oil. 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper. 3 strips precookrd bacon, diced. About 1 tsp white vinegar, or apple cider vinegar. A little bit of diced sweet onion. Maybe two slices, diced.

I cook the onion, garlic, apple and bacon together in olive oil first. Then add the greens and a bit more olive oil. My pan's not so big, so a handful of greens at a time. Then add the crushed red pepper, a little black pepper, and about 1/2 cup of chicken stock or water, and stir. Cook maybe 8 minutes. Then I put on low, cover, and cook til tender. Cooking time, overall, 25 to 20 minutes. Add vinegar near the end.
Stripping out the stems, and adding stock, reduces the normal cooking time for greens, imo. Used to cook for 40 minutes....

I do this on a burner with my wok skillet, but could also be done on the fire with a cast iron Dutch oven, or even a good sized skillet.

20220908_190711.jpg

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

11 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Cooked greens

My very sweet neighbor and friend, Mellissa, brought me a huge (washed, even) bag of her organic greens today, mixed kale, collard, and mustard.

I often go down mountain and help her in her huge garden, and she sends me home with a bounty. I cook up enough for both families, and send her share back. 🙂

So tonight, I'll be making her favorite,  my greens. We'll have them with shrimp. 

Last month, she asked for my recipe. This is a copy of the text I sent her. You can adjust at the end with a little more vinegar, or lemon juice, or apple juice, according to taste. Substitute veggies broth and 86 the bacon, for vegan. Add a pinch of sealant, maybe, if you ditch the bacon.

A plastic grocery store bag of greens (stripped from the stems and ripped or Chopped into small pieces), plus 1/2 a big honey crisp apple (or all of a small one.). About 3/4 tsp chopped garlic. Olive oil. 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper. 3 strips precookrd bacon, diced. About 1 tsp white vinegar, or apple cider vinegar. A little bit of diced sweet onion. Maybe two slices, diced.

I cook the onion, garlic, apple and bacon together in olive oil first. Then add the greens and a bit more olive oil. My pan's not so big, so a handful of greens at a time. Then add the crushed red pepper, a little black pepper, and about 1/2 cup of chicken stock or water, and stir. Cook maybe 8 minutes. Then I put on low, cover, and cook til tender. Cooking time, overall, 25 to 20 minutes. Add vinegar near the end.
Stripping out the stems, and adding stock, reduces the normal cooking time for greens, imo. Used to cook for 40 minutes....

I do this on a burner with my wok skillet, but could also be done on the fire with a cast iron Dutch oven, or even a good sized skillet.

This sounds so good!😋

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• Moderators

Normally,  you would not even see the apple bits. In working left handed in a sling. (Right dominant hand.) Is what it is. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

Normally,  you would not even see the apple bits. In working left handed in a sling. (Right dominant hand.) Is what it is. 

That doesn’t sound fun. 

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan