Campfire Chicken Quesadilla

Ingredients:

3-pound shredded chicken 
5 ounces coarsely grated Monterey Jack cheese
Salt and Pepper 
4 (7-inch) flour tortillas
Hot sauce (optional, for serving)

Step 1

Cut 8 (12x16") pieces of heavy-duty foil. Layer 2 pieces of foil on top of each other to create 4 stacks.

Step 2

Place a flour tortilla in the center of each foil stack. Dividing evenly, top one half of each tortilla with chicken and cheese and season with salt and pepper. Fold tortillas in half, then bring edges of foil together to enclose the quesadillas and crimp edges to seal.

Step 3

Place foil packs side by side directly onto hot coals or grill and cook, rotating with tongs occasionally, about 5 minutes. Carefully remove 1 packet from heat and check if cheese is melted. If necessary, return pack to coals and continue to cook, 5–10 minutes more. Serve with hot sauce, if desired.

• Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

Chicken Pineapple Kabobs.

Ingredients:

For the marinade:

• ¼ cup olive oil
  • ½ cup chopped cilantro
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 2 teaspoons minced ginger, note: Trader Joe’s carries ginger paste that’s perfect for this
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 1 teaspoon salt

To build the skewers:

• ½ lb chicken, boneless, skinless thighs work best, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 medium red onion, sliced into 1-inch pieces
  • Pineapple wedges, cut into 1 inch cubes. 

Instructions:

• Combine the ingredients for the marinade in a large bowl or ziplock bag.
  • Add the chicken to the marinade and stir to coat. Cover or seal the container, and let marinate for at least an hour, or up to 24 hours. 
  • In the meantime, fire up your grill or get your campfire going.
  • Build the kabobs by threading the chicken and vegetables onto your skewers. Brush with a bit of oil.
  • Grill the kabobs over medium-high to high heat, turning occasionally so they cook evenly until the chicken is cooked through – about 10 minutes total.
  • Remove from the grill and enjoy!
  • Like 2

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

Easy salsa

4 large plum tomatoes (about 1 pound), diced (to yield 2 cups)

¼ cup chopped white onion

3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

2 teaspoons minced jalapeño (remove seeds for less heat)

1 ½ teaspoons fresh lime juice

¾ teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)

1 small garlic clove, minced

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. If you want your homemade salsa to have a smoother texture—more like jarred—pulse half the salsa in a food processor, then combine it with the remaining chunky half. Cover tightly and refrigerate for up to 5 days.

Great way to use up those fresh garden tomatoes. 
chips and salsa, delicious snack at camp!😋

• Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

On 9/16/2022 at 11:12 AM, Katjo said:

Chicken Pineapple Kabobs

We did similar at a TearJerkers event last month, except Deb concocted her own teriyaki-ish sauce. Mmmmm!

IMG_7487.thumb.jpeg.b299a1c9a0d7e1612983f52a247d7967.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

35 minutes ago, Steve and Deb said:

We did similar at a TearJerkers event last month, except Deb concocted her own teriyaki-ish sauce. Mmmmm!

IMG_7487.thumb.jpeg.b299a1c9a0d7e1612983f52a247d7967.jpeg

That photo actually made my mouth water!😋Looks delicious! 

• Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

Grilled Bacon Corn on the Cob

This is so good over an open fire!

Corn on the cob (husk removed)

butter

salt and pepper 

bacon slices 

Coat each ear of corn with butter, season with salt and pepper. 
Wrap a slice of bacon around each ear. 
Wrap each ear loosely in heavy duty aluminum foil.
Place corn on grill over medium heat.
Cook for about 30 minutes, turning frequently, until bacon is crisp. 

• Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• Moderators

Everything is better with bacon, right? 🥓 😄 

I love grilled corn, and also steamed/roasted in the husk in foil. I strip the husk back in two pulls, strip the silk, place each ear on foil, cup it up,, and pour some water in the trough. Seal by folding three times. (Saves the water of soaking the husk.) I can cook that on the grill, or nestled on the edge of the coals of the fire, turning frequently. 

Grilled corn (husk pulled back) gets a smokier flavor,  and requires more attention.  I like elote, Mexican street corn. Camping version requires adjustment for things I actually carry: sour cream vs Mexican crema, plus mayo and chile powder and/ or Mrs dash Chipotle for the finish, and parmesan vs cotija for the sprinkles. It's not authentic,  but it sure is tasty. 

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 9/24/2022 at 5:24 PM, SeaDawg said:

Everything is better with bacon, right? 🥓 😄 

I love grilled corn, and also steamed/roasted in the husk in foil. I strip the husk back in two pulls, strip the silk, place each ear on foil, cup it up,, and pour some water in the trough. Seal by folding three times. (Saves the water of soaking the husk.) I can cook that on the grill, or nestled on the edge of the coals of the fire, turning frequently. 

Grilled corn (husk pulled back) gets a smokier flavor,  and requires more attention.  I like elote, Mexican street corn. Camping version requires adjustment for things I carry: sour cream vs Mexican crema, plus mayo and chile powder and/ or Mrs dash Chipotle for the finish, and parmesan vs cotija for the sprinkles. It's not authentic,  but it sure is tasty. 

That sounds so good! I love grilled corn.
When I was younger our church use to have a corn roast every year, it was always the most scrupulous corn I’ve ever had.😋

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

Cinnamon Sugar Donuts

We only make these while camping!!  Special treat!  I buy the Pillsbury biscuits, poke a hole in the center and fry in oil. We then shake them in a brown paper bag with cinnamon sugar. So easy.
Warm donuts—everyone loves them!

5CE78375-845A-4AD1-98A3-918B76FA65CB.jpeg

• Wow 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

That doughnut looks scrumptious!

The last two campouts, we experimented with refrigerator cinnamon rolls on the Skottle. First time we "baked" them, putting water in the bottom, a cooling rack, and then the rolls in a pie pan, covered for about 40 minutes. Came out okay, but not very browned. All eight were like that one gooey center roll that everyone likes.

Last week we smashed the cinnamon rolls like a Smashburger, and then fried them. These came out more dense and crispy. Both were very tasty, but also very different.

IMG_7735.thumb.jpeg.49622a9e8e49ec3dac0cc723ac713a83.jpeg

• Like 2

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

1 hour ago, Steve and Deb said:

That doughnut looks scrumptious!

The last two campouts, we experimented with refrigerator cinnamon rolls on the Skottle. First time we "baked" them, putting water in the bottom, a cooling rack, and then the rolls in a pie pan, covered for about 40 minutes. Came out okay, but not very browned. All eight were like that one gooey center roll that everyone likes.

Last week we smashed the cinnamon rolls like a Smashburger, and then fried them. These came out more dense and crispy. Both were very tasty, but also very different.

IMG_7735.thumb.jpeg.49622a9e8e49ec3dac0cc723ac713a83.jpeg

Ohhhh that looks so good!😋

• Thanks 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Katjo said:

Cinnamon Sugar Donuts

We only make these while camping!!  Special treat!  I buy the Pillsbury biscuits, poke a hole in the center and fry in oil. We then shake them in a brown paper bag with cinnamon sugar. So easy.
Warm donuts—everyone loves them!

5CE78375-845A-4AD1-98A3-918B76FA65CB.jpeg

Giant tom thumb donuts....

Interesting 

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 months later...

When cooking for a small herd, I make them my Geronimo John International Cowboy Special:

• Pan fry well several cans of diced low sodium Spam with just a bit of butter. Drain well.
  • Dice many pounds of potatoes and pan fry a bit crisp with some olive oil.  Salt and Pepper.
  • Mix Spam and Spuds in skillet and get it hot.
  • Whip raw eggs and mix into hot skillet with the above.    Mix some while cooking.
  • Add lots of cheese, Pace Picante Sauce,  and some sour cream on top. 
  • Then sprinkle Tabasco (Depending on the crowd:  If children, about two drops.  If Texan, a lot.  If Cajun all you have!) 

You don't know how many times I have been asked where I got the delicious ham I used.  Seriously.

• Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

I think I need to save this entire thread and work it top to bottom this summer.  So many amazingly great easy to do  gourmet ideas.   

• Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

Trailer Corn on Cob:

I have always gently pulled down the leaves and removed the silk.  Rinsed off the corn and re-layered the leaves, and secured with a rubber band.  Then nuked them about 2 minutes rolled over and 90 seconds more.

I have heard some just toss the whole ears of corn into the microwave and the result is the same with a LOT less effort.  Is this a snipe hunting story or for real?  If for real, seriously how do you do it?

Thanks

GJ

• Like 1

@Geronimo John Oh, it's real! Get a flashlight, and go stand next to the farthest tree out back. We'll chase 'em your way. 😉

But seriously, yes, this is how we do it all the time. Toss in entire ear of corn, and cook on high for four minutes times number of ears. Then chop off the stem end and squeeze the corn out from the other end. Almost no silk left, and perfect every time.

As you've likely figured already, serving more than a few ears takes considerable time. You can cheat a little, cooking six ears 20 minutes, but not a lot less. More than that, we report to traditional boiling.

This was the guy that became famous for figuring it out.

• Like 3

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

You can also take the leaves and silk off, wet a paper towel and roll the corn cob in it, microwave for 3 minutes. Comes out perfect!!

We often use this method when we camp and want a few quick ears of corn. 

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

• 3 months later...